Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux on 4G Ipod

• 10-11-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Managed to install ipodlinux on my trusty U2 Ipod and now can play video with it among other things.

Main interface:
    01ipodlinux7ri.jpg

U2 clip:
    03ipodu26fg.jpg

Family Guy!:
    02ipodfamilyguy3mq.jpg

Also, fans of the original Doom game will love this:

04ipoddoom16bx.jpg

04ipoddoom24mf.jpg

Pretty nifty eh? :cool:
    This is still early days...the 4G colour LCD was only added a few days ago. The video & sound needs to be uncompressed atm so that results in huge filesizes but again, it's early days.
    Also, I can still boot into my regular Apple OS and play as normal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The_Edge wrote:
    This is still early days...the 4G colour LCD was only added a few days ago.
    Did you install it yourself? Or is it the newer colour U2 iPod? I have an original U2 iPod that I wouldn't mind doing this with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

mp3guy wrote:
    battery life?

The hdd is spinning all the time during video playback (video probably like over a 1.5mb a sec) so don't expect long life there.
    Otherwise it seems fine. You can set the backlight timer to knock off.

WizZard wrote:
    Did you install it yourself? Or is it the newer colour U2 iPod? I have an original U2 iPod that I wouldn't mind doing this with.

The newer one. It will work fine on the grayscale lcd I believe.
    Doom looks shít b/w though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

V. nice.
    The_Edge wrote:
    Family Guy

Surprising....don't think I've ever seen that clip.....could it be that.......you......no.....you wouldn't. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Darkwing Duck

Not to ask a stupid question but is there a good Linux port for a 1st/2nd gen iPod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Not to ask a stupid question but is there a good Linux port for a 1st/2nd gen iPod?
    http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Should answer some of your questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I need to try this on my Nano sometime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

FCUK me I want to play Doom!

Minor problem...I've installed iPodLinux on mu pod, all went well and happy days, but my pod is a wee bit funny with usb recognition. Basically when it was just a normal pod it was being piucked up as an iPOd device, with some usb quirks, but now that the iPod interface bit is gone and its just linux, its only being recognized as a malfunctioning usb device. Any suggestions on how to get around this cause I cant put anything on off it till I do? I also cant boot into Apple firmware, maybe I'm doing wonky ways...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

The_Edge wrote:
    Managed to install ipodlinux on my trusty U2 Ipod and now can play video with it among other things.

Pretty nifty eh? :cool:
    This is still early days...the 4G colour LCD was only added a few days ago. The video & sound needs to be uncompressed atm so that results in huge filesizes but again, it's early days.
    Also, I can still boot into my regular Apple OS and play as normal.

"Well, Hello Mr. Fancy Pants!" :D:D

No seriously. Now that I see this, you really make me think if I should buy an iPod Photo..... :D

Never mind got i sorted now, think it was just due to some gremlins lurking in the buttons......

Some clips of it running. (No sound)

Linux Booting on Ipod
    Doom loading on U2 Ipod
    Family Guy loading and playing on Ipod
    U2 vid playing on U2 Ipod

I'll do up a step by step for anyone who wants to try. It's fairly easy tbh.

Ok, here's what I did from scratch.
    Download the modified installer here.

Unzip to a folder.

Get the lastest Kernal and lastest podzilla from:
    http://ipodlinux.org/builds/

The files you need are 2005-11-11-podzilla.gz & 2005-11-11-kernel.bin.gz (At the time of writing)

Unzip "****-**-**-kernel.bin.gz" and copy the extracted kernel binary to your installer folder (iPod Linux Installer Modded) and rename it linux.bin, replacing the old original.
    kernal3vg.png

Unzip "****-**-**-podzilla.gz" and rename the file "podzilla"....with no extension. Place the file in with the other files.
    podzilla7en.png

Now, with your Ipod connected and in "Disk mode" (from iTunes) copy all the files to you Ipod except for the "iPod Linux Installer Modded" folder.
    filecopy8zw.png

Now, run "ipodlinux-installer.exe" in the "iPod Linux Installer Modded" folder.
    Uncheck "Check for online updates" and next.
    Leave "Original Apple firmware" checked and next.
    Good idea to make a backup so hit next.
    Next through to finish.

Before you disconnect your Ipod, set your hold swicth to the on position (left)
    As the Ipod reboots you should see culinux loading and then Podzilla kicking in.
    Now it's installed. Easy

To switch between Apple OS or Linux OS, use the hold switch as you power up. (Left for Linux, right for Apple)
    To reset the iPod at any time to do this, Hold the "Menu" & "Select" buttons together for a few seceonds during boot.

Now, to get them games on their download "Floydzilla" from dansfloyd.com
    Floydzilla is just a modifed podzilla but with games etc. This setup is straight forward.
    The Iboy games don't work at the moment but that will hopefully be sorted for the 4G photo iPods soon. Other models you mileage may vary.
    Be sure to check the sites every so often for updates etc.
    I'm not sure this will work on your Nano of new video iPod but I believe it's safe to give it a try without ruining the iPod. (Don't hold me to that!)

If you what to undo the install (Or messed up install!) at any time, follow the steps here.

:)

Oh, and for video to work it needs to be 220x176 RGB (Uncompressed) and sound needs to be PCM 44100.
    It plays this video upside down atm so you need to flip the video when you convert it first. ;)
    Different Ipods have different sized screens so check that first.

What sort of benefits does it have for us iPod Mini 4Gs with no colour screens?

Any interesting applications? (One would assume we can't play videos or anything)

You can play video alrite but it needs to be grayscale to see it "properly"
    Probably not worth the bother tbh.

At least all those GB games would work fine with your grayscale screen.
    Give it a try...easyily removable. Altough, ipodlinux.org seems down at atm.

Since ipodlinux.org is down atm I reckon I should ask here...

Just tried installing it, followed your steps The_Edge, installed everything (on my 4G iPod mini) but now whenever I try to boot it the Apple logo just appears... I use menu+ select and the screen goes blank after a few seconds but the apple logo just appears again...

I chose Linux as default so maybe I should reset the iPod (using the firmware thingy) and try it again.

Any ideas?

Hmm... now it won't pick it up as a device at all when I plug in my cable :|

Not 100% about the Mini but hold the select and play buttons on boot to force it to boot from hdd instead.
    BTW, that install guide is for a 4Gen Ipod....not a mini.
    You can easily undo the changes mind.
    Gimmie a shout if your stuck.

• Advertisement

Quite stuck :)

The apple logo appears and it does nothing, does nothing when I plug in the USB, when I press menu and select at the same time for a few seconds it turns off but turns straight back on with just the apple logo...

When I plug it in nothing happens on the PC either :|

Try this. Leave it plugged to the usb cable.
    Hold "Menu + Select" to make it reboot.
    As soon as it reboots, hold "Select + play" for disk mode.

You're a feckin genius :D

Cheers mate!

I'll let you know how it goes if I can get it fixed and post up the steps I did to get it working (if it does :)) so others won't make the mistakes I did :)

Good good!

you should always be able to get to disk mode if all else fails.
    Now, one way to "Repair" the iPod if it goes tits up is to "update" it with the Apple updater. (55mb)

Now, this will update your iPod to the lastest firmware (always a good thing) and repair the MBR on hdd so it boots normally. You'll keep your music too!

restore4ro.png

Now, you'll see above my "Update" option is grayed out. I already have the updated firmware. So what do I do?

Open your iPod from My Computer and look for the hidden folder "iPod_Control". Browze to the "Device" folder and open the file "SysInfo" in Wordpad (important that it's Wordpad!!). You'll see this:

before6rr.png

The two numbers are my current firmware revisions.
    I'm gonna trick the updater here....I'm gonna remove the last 0 from each line:

after2wj.png

Now, when I run the Apple updater, I have the "Update option!
    update3vk.png

I've done this countless times without anything bad happening (touches wood)

Once the iPod reboots, it will be back to normal. Youll just have to remove the linux files that have been added from My Computer.

http://blogtuts.gameportalonline.com/?p=8 < here's the instructions I used to install it. You don't need to copy over all the files as The_Edge suggested, also there's a step there where you make a start file.

This is the method to use for a 4G iPod Mini

Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention The_Edge, just watched the Family Guy clip on my iPod, the possibilities are endless...

Now for ipodlinux.org to get up and running again...

No worries.
    Your right about not needing all the files though. Best to get it working before deleting files though. :)
    Have you tried Floydzilla for the iboy (gameboy) games?
    Should work first time on yours too.

The only place I can find to download the iBoy is from ipodlinux.org which is down...

iboy.sourceforge.net has a forum on it but it's not available atm :(

I'll do some creative googling... ( ie look up iBoy)

The modified Floydzilla has it built in. Doom and Duke Nukem too.

dansfloyd.com/floydzilla.html

It's a modified podzilla. Not 100% it supports the minis but no harm trying.
    Expect Floydzilla 2.0 in the next few days too. (Nano support)

Where do i find it on the iPod itself?

File Browser?

• Advertisement

Assuming you've installed Floydzilla look in "Main Menu/Extras/iBoy/"
    Over 20 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

this means that pretty much that the video Ipod is a waste of money?

Far from it. The video iPod has it's own dedicated video chip to decode Mpeg4 and H.264 video. Ours can only decode uncompressed vid at the moment....which results in huge file sizes vs. Mpeg4 or H.264. our iPods were never ment to decode video full stop.
    Also, the screen has a higher resolution @ 320x240....NTSC VCD size.
    I believe the battary life is longer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

could you run Ipod linux on the 60GB photo ipod

Yeap.

Floydzilla 2.0 released today.
    http://dansfloyd.com/floydzilla.html
    Finally, Floydzilla 2.0 is out, lots of bugs fixed! This version is compatable with the Nano, and the iPod Color Screens. I have also included the new iDoom, which is also compatable with the Nano. Let me know how things are working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

steveland? wrote:
    Hmm... now it won't pick it up as a device at all when I plug in my cable :|

edit got it sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The_Edge wrote:
    Try this. Leave it plugged to the usb cable.
    Hold "Menu + Select" to make it reboot.
    As soon as it reboots, hold "Select + play" for disk mode.

Quality worked perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

are you spose to be able to view and play your music in linux? cos i cant

alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

also none of the iboy games will load :/

cartman wrote:
    are you spose to be able to view and play your music in linux? cos i cant

alan

You can but you have to delete any playlists first. Sure the Apple software is better for that anyway.

The iboy games only play on the 3G ipods afaik. Support will be added for 4G & 5G ipods over time. When?...I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

got this to work on my 4G ipod, but... now Suse 10 aint mounting the drive. Even manually. Also its picking it up as a 32 meg memstick and an ipod.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement