Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth changing to 3G?

• 10-11-2005 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I must buy another mobile and my phone is going belly up. I was thinking of changing from a 2G operator to a 3G operator. 3 seems attractive at 25 Euro a month and free premiership goals at the moment. Is it worth changing? At the moment is does seem appealling and it seems easy to change too, thankfully.

-Monnigblower

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hi,

I must buy another mobile and my phone is going belly up. I was thinking of changing from a 2G operator to a 3G operator. 3 seems attractive at 25 Euro a month and free premiership goals at the moment. Is it worth changing? At the moment is does seem appealling and it seems easy to change too, thankfully.

-Monnigblower

they're definitely worth it. the only drawbacks are

A: rate outside the minutes is slightly higher than the other networks. this only matters to insanely high users (~1000 mins) because you get a lot more minutes for your money than the other networks. it doesn't sound like it'll matter to you since you're looking at the 25 option.

B: roaming is more expensive than the other networks and not properly set up yet. my phone didnt work properly in amsterdam but on the plus side all the calls i managed to make were included in my minutes for some reason.

C: you can't send mms to or from o2 yet. meteor and voda work fine. its some technical issue that should be solved soon enough

other than that they're fan dabby dooby

if you're a heavy texter you might want to consider meteor what with the free met-met texts and all. i carry both my 3 phone and a crappy meteor phone just for texting my gf. saves me about 20-30 quid a month :)

good points:

1. much cheaper if you stay inside the minutes

2. full coverage for voice and text (through voda)
    60-70% for 3g features

3. free stuff: rte news clips (six one news), itn news clips, text news, comedy (eddie izzard, happy tree friends, peter and jaydee, stupidvideos.com clips, angry kid, i cba listing any more).
    theres football, hurling, gaa, horse racing, golf, rugby, f1, tennis etc)
    theres movie reviews, and tv clips.
    more that i cba listing
    they're adding more stuff all the time. in england they just launched live tv on the phones
    theres games, pics music and rintones too but they cost a few euro

4. as well as all the stuff from the network you can get 3gp converters off the net and convert files on your computer to watch on the phone. a full film can be shrunk to 38 megs.

5. if you lose your phone you get a new one for e50 on condition that you start a new 12 month contract (you only have to start a new contract outside of the first 3 months). forget paying 6 a month for insurance and 35 to make a claim like with the other networks

6. they're customer care are the most helpful and friendly people i've dealt with. based in glasgow

7. you can check how many minutes you have left by just calling a number (333).

enough for you? i've got more :)

of course after all my convincing you're not allowed buy it off the net where its €20 cheaper. you have to come into my shop and buy it off me :v:

don't buy the e1000 by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I suppose a couple of bad points to start off with would be

1. no free voicemail
    2. no free webtexts
    3. not exactly a spectacular range of phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

rymus wrote:
    I suppose a couple of bad points to start off with would be

1. no free voicemail

VM is included in your minutes though!!
    I have to say i love 3 so far. My first months bill was 45 as the plan is and lat month on O2 for the exact same amount of usage (almost exactly) i paid €92

half price... and loads of fun with the free goals/news/comedy etc... always enough new stuff each week to keep journeys etc less boring

• Advertisement
Advertisement