Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach defends role of Catholic Church

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Every Irish child has the right to be eduacated in a Catholic school.

Hmm not according to the IRISH constitution....

Bunreacht na hÉireann (1937)

Article 42.3.1 “ The State shall not oblige parents in violation of their conscience and lawful preference to send their children to schools established by the State, or to any particular type of school designated by the State.

Article 42.4 “ The State shall provide for free primary education and shall endeavour to supplement and give reasonable aid to private and corporate educational initiative, and, when the public good requires it, provide other educational facilities or institutions with due regard, however for the rights of parents, especially in the matter of religious and moral formation.

Don't see anything about a catholic education there do you? - in fact what it does say is that the state will not force parents to send their children to a school that conflicts with their ethos and given that 95% of our schools have one ethos, that may or may not be shared by parents - I'd say they probably aren't doing what they say parents have a right to.....makes ya think don't it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Just to clear up something here ... I don't think CatholicIreland is talking about religion teaching as in "this is correct", more general knowledge of different world religions.

As an athelist I don't want my children taught any religion is correct or incorrect, but I have no problem with them learning about different religions. Religion is such an important element of human culture and society I feel it would determental to my children if they were completely ignorant of these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Because the child will grow up ignorant about something which has been so important and influencial in our society for so long. So what if the US do it? The US also do alot of crazy things, should we also copy them because they are currently the worlds only superpower? why not copy some other country, say brazil?

And the point whistles far over your head, in the US religious education is optional yet has a vibrant fundamentalism religious atmosphere.

I think anyone who wants satanism to be taught to 6 and 7 year olds needs their head examined. Very, very extreme view.

It was glib, but valid, personnally I'm not wild on my child getting exposed to a reilgion that teaches us that every day we are sinners who defy god and in order to be saved god had his only son tortured and murdered.

I think it's a bit of a downer.

Thats stastically the church wants to see like it has chunky numbers, like I said if you compare that to falling seminary and church attendance numbers the future looks a lot less rosy for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭catholicireland

personnally I'm not wild on my child getting exposed to a reilgion that teaches us that every day we are sinners who defy god and in order to be saved god had his only son tortured and murdered.

I think it's a bit of a downer.

Well life isnt perfect and the Church isnt either.
    I dont see how you could call Christianity a "downer", it tells us about heaven and ever-lasting life etc, compared to death full stop. Know what I mean?
    Thats stastically the church wants to see like it has chunky numbers, like I said if you compare that to falling seminary and church attendance numbers the future looks a lot less rosy for yourself.

Rubbish. Personally I dont care if half the country gives up religion, I will still be a catholic and will not be fooled by the propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Rubbish. Personally I dont care if half the country gives up religion, I will still be a catholic and will not be fooled by the propaganda.

What propaganda is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Well life isnt perfect and the Church isnt either.
    I dont see how you could call Christianity a "downer", it tells us about heaven and ever-lasting life etc, compared to death full stop. Know what I mean?

The guilt the repression the blood, the fact that we are born sinners, and must struggle to be saved, and that we must believe in god's infinite love or suffer the enternal wraith of hell (how's that for a loving god)

What on earth is this tomfoolery? You're the one suggesting 88.4% of Irish people are catholics, considering that statistic ignores falling church attendance, and seminary numbers, you're the one spreading false numbers Considering for example I am considered by the church to be a catholic despite never attending church anymore and having no belief in catholic thelogy.

You may consider yourself a catholic but you're bucking a trend and are the one spreading propaganda.

Advertisement