Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool signings in january

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Ballack and Duff SURELY? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I expect a new bid for Simao and we've been linked to several central defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kompany, Mascherano, Leo Messi, Tevez, Cavanaghi... lolz I don't play FM.

Yea Simao is the only almost definite signing I'd say. Have a feeling we'll get fecked around with in the transfer market and Rafa won't have any of it; deciding instead to soldier on with what he's got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/4421478.stm

and this kid is "rumoured" to be top drawer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd rather see kewell sold and Vincente brought in from valencia, he's eligable for the champions league, so would Mascherano. if we're going to buy spanish, we should buy only the best. not squad players like josemi tbh. squad members should be english/irish/scottish and the like.
    Ballack and Duff SURELY?

ballack is going nowhere in january. why would he leave bayern and get cup tied for the champions league? bayern have a good chance of winning it this year

my IN's and OUT's for january (all wishfull thinking)

IN -> Joaquin, Vincente, Mascherano

OUT -> Dudek, Kewell (maybe), Mellor, Kirkland (loan made permanent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    OUT -> Dudek, Kewell (maybe), Mellor, Kirkland (loan made permanent)

I cant really see a case for sellign Kirkland permenantly. If he comes back from West Brom playing as well as he did there, he wouldnt have much problem ousting Reina, who imo isnt any better than Dudek, just younger. I actual;ly really like Mellor, he did really well last season and is a decent poacher, which no one else seems to be at the moment, his goal V olympiakos is a prime example of what we could do with at the minute, someone to pick up scraps around the box. His ay-ff for Gerrards goal was excellent awell, i think he has very good vision.

Kewell has yet to prove himself as anything but a donkey.

Incidentally (and totally ot) why the hell is Reina an option to get printed on the new CL kit? Is ne going to play on the right when dudek comes back or something? :)http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/ynwa/ProductDetailsAction.run?objID=37203

el rabitos wrote:
    ballack is going nowhere in january. why would he leave bayern and get cup tied for the champions league? bayern have a good chance of winning it this year

It was a toungue in cheek comment made in relation to the utter deluded nonsense that Liverpool fans were coming up with over the summer involving those two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hopefully, he hasn't actually played a match for Hull yet so at the moment he's just potential, not really relevant to squad building for the 2nd half of the season.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    It was a toungue in cheek comment made in relation to the utter deluded nonsense that Liverpool fans were coming up with over the summer involving those two players.
    Such as? any quotes that you can produce would be nice... (I think mike65 has linked to the main Liverpool transfer page with plenty of *evidence* if you want to pull something from the air).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Slash/ED wrote:

Ive never ever heard anything about duff and ballack coming to liverpool over the summer, or even anybody thats way out of our league. Think your confusing us with the united fans saying buy 5 30m players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

heard a rumour about robben, it was prob just some stupid rumour.

Thats paul anderson and gonzales in, looks like benitez is beefin gup the young players.

Shame to see john welsh wont be coming back.

Simao looks a sure fire bet as well so all we need is a CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Davei141 wrote:
    Ive never ever heard anything about duff and ballack coming to liverpool over the summer, or even anybody thats way out of our league. Think your confusing us with the united fans saying buy 5 30m players.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1729741 :p

p.pete wrote:
    Such as? any quotes that you can produce would be nice... (I think mike65 has linked to the main Liverpool transfer page with plenty of *evidence* if you want to pull something from the air).

The searchings disabled now and frankly I'm not arsed going back over it but it was in the giant transfer thread, as in the one for all clubs, over the summer I think.

TheMonster wrote:
    Hmmm k, looked at that page and eirebhoy (not a liverpool fan) mentions Duff, the conversation wasn't continued certainly on that page or entertained by Liverpool fans there.

Bannor mentions Ballack alright, if he is to leave Bayern then why not have him linked with Liverpool, it's as plausible as him going to ManU but I don't think it was an idea that was blown out of proportion at any stage by Liverpool fans. You have to remember that Gerrard was leaving so talking about Ballack to come in isn't that ridiculous (8mil for him is a bit tho :))
    Slash/ED wrote:
    The searchings disabled now and frankly I'm not arsed going back over it but it was in the giant transfer thread, as in the one for all clubs, over the summer I think.
    yep, that's the one that Mike65 has linked to - no seriously, try find the "deluded nonesense" in there, the way you're describing things it was rampant so shouldn't be too difficult for you to find...

p.pete wrote:
    yep, that's the one that Mike65 has linked to - no seriously, try find the "deluded nonesense" in there, the way you're describing things it was rampant so shouldn't be too difficult for you to find...

No it isn't, there was another thread iirc. When searching comes back I will find it.

Slash/ED wrote:
    No it isn't, there was another thread iirc. When searching comes back I will find it.
    look forward to it ;) If I remember I'll send you a PM to remind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Mascherano- last time i heard he was off to Athletico Madrid, could be wrong tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    While claims of Duff joining were always a bit far-fecthed.

To say that the idea that Michael Ballack may go to Liverpool is "utter deluded nonsense" is way off the mark.

I was one of the people that said Liverpool should target him (as a replacement for Gerrard when his departure looked imminent). He has said that he will leave Bayern for a new challenge. Liverpool had just won the biggest honour in club football. They are a team on the up with one of the best managers in Europe. He has hardly showed a huge amount of loyalty to either of his last two clubs, so money would be a factor, something that Liverpool have never been short of. He already has a German contact at Liverpool, who completely loves it there.

While I don't think Liverpool will go for him now, the only "utter deluded nonsense" going round is the thought that he wouldn't even consider a move if they approached him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Roddy23 wrote:
    Mascherano- last time i heard he was off to Athletico Madrid, could be wrong tho.
    me too

If Ballack leaves Bayern, he will be hounded by far better teams than Liverpool. There is no chance in hell he will sign them, fluke CL win or no. He could join a championship winning team in any of the leagues in the world. And I doubt he would leave Bayern to join Liverpool anyway if that was the only option on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The only team that would really want Ballack is Juve to replace Nedved. Chelsea, Milan, Madrid and Barca would have to drop a star player to fit him in. I couldn't see him leaving Bayern for a team not mentioned.

That kind of thing has never bothered Real before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a non debate, why would Liverpool want Ballack when they've got Gerrard, Alonso, Hamann and Sissoko?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    If Ballack leaves Bayern, he will be hounded by far better teams than Liverpool. There is no chance in hell he will sign them, fluke CL win or no. He could join a championship winning team in any of the leagues in the world. And I doubt he would leave Bayern to join Liverpool anyway if that was the only option on the table.
    Well personally I don't think Liverpool will try and sign Ballack seeing as Gerrard stayed so it's immaterial at this stage.

But again, Ballack has won a lot in his career. Personally I think his last move is more to ensure his financial security for the rest of his life rather than to win tonnes of honours abroad. And in that case if Liverpool were to approach him I'm sure they could compete with almost anyone.

Add to that it's a club steeped in history, defending European champions, with one of the best managers in Europe, and already with a German teammate of Ballack's who loves it there, I think it is an option that he may at least consider, and not some "utter deluded non-sense".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ballack has only ever won domestic honours. He's 29 now, so he wants to win the Champions League, and needs to do it soon before he's too old. I'd be suprised if he didn't move to Juventus in January or the Summer.

Would like to see Jaouqin at Anfield in January, but the likelier, cheaper option of Srna wouldnt be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why are people bothering to discuss Ballack? we realy dont need a centre midfielder and there has never been any mention of getting one in. We are all well aware that what we need a a centre back and a right winger, with the only possible 3rd addition being a striker, most likely Riki due to low price. Have seen him a few times for gatefe this year and while he does look good im a bit dubious about another risk up front. I think if gonna get someone up there, we need someone proven.

Fair chance of Kuijt/Kuyt coming in as well I suppose seeing as how he's always been linked with us. Im impressed with Rafa who's been mentioning him for ages now, seems he was well ahead of the game, with everyone else now being linked to him as well.

For wing, as someone else said its pretty much between Crna and Simao, with a slight chance of joaquin, though unlikely. Another outsider could be salihamidzich (sp) since was linked before got a bit injured during the summer. Has he been playing much this term for Bayern? and more importantly has he features in a champs league match?

CB's, anyone's guess as good as each other really, been linked with everyone here.

The thing i've been most impressed with by Benitez has been his improvement of the reserves with young quality potential players. He's prety much made sure the side wont be short of defensive cover after the next year or 2 with some great defenders in hobbs, roque, antwi, barragan and a few others. Have some other great potential brought in, in idrajsi (sp) and that welsh chap ManU released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I only got to see about 10-15 minutes of the Holland v Italy game on Saturday but during that time I was very impressed with Kuijt - he never stopped running/working, seems to have a hell of a shot on him and linked up quite well with the midfield, he was everywhere. I'd really like to seem him brought in if possible. I'd also rather see someone like Srna brought in rather than Joaquin who has a habit of drifting in and out of games, plus the prices being bandied about are a OTT for a cup tied player, IMO. I'm not too bothered about Simao either, largely due to the price Benfica are seeking, I really don't think he's worth €12m, if they got him for 7-8m then maybe.

I'm also getting quite optimistic about the younger players coming through again (I was dissapointed to see Otsemobor let go, I think he would have been a much stronger back up than Josemi is), there seems to be an abundance of quality there now in comparisson to last year when they were loosing nearly every week (although the results were affected by some of the reserves were being drafted into the first team due to injuries there). They've looked pretty good in any of the highlights I've seen so far this year and in addition to the players mentioned by Rebel, Danny Guthrie & David Raven are two other players who look good for the future and are earning rave reviews. Also "that welsh chap ManU released" is Ramon Calliste, he looks decent alright, very pacey but just seems to be lacking a bit of sharpness at the moment.

Pool linked with Berbatov at the moment as is likely to be sold in January by Leverkusen. Dunno how likely it is, seeing as we now have crouch as resident tall man, but at the same time, he is a quality player. I definately wouldn't be opposed to a move for him if at good price anyway..

Link: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=324797&CPID=22&clid=&lid=&title=Liverpool+on+Berbatov+alert

TBH I'd like to see the strikers that are at the club having a bit of calm for a season or two. While it has to be said that none are performing for us at the moment we've an entirely different set up front from what was there 2 years ago. I'd like to see them forge on til at least the Summer and then reassess things - say if Cisse gets a golden boot for France I wouldn't be against cashing in (before you laugh Baros somehow got one 2 years ago but unfortunately we didn't get the money for him).

Quality frontmen can be the most expensive to add into a team and I'm sure there's plenty who'll agree that there's other positions that we should sort out first despite the lack of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

With Kraft declaring his interest in the club the money available for new players could improve greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

irishgeo wrote:
    With Kraft declaring his interest in the club the money available for new players could improve greatly.

That investment is not going to happen before january. At the earliest hope for the summer. It looks more likely that any finances received from investment will go to the new stadium which has nearly doubled in price.

Simao has apparently rocked the boat at Benifica - saying that he wants to move to a more competitive league (presumably a non competitive team like Liverpool would be fine). It's against club policy to do media interviews apparently so he could be trying to stoke up a move for the transfer window. I'd say he was fairly gutted when he wasn't allowed go for his medical in the Summer, Rafa has probably been keeping tabs...

Taken from skysports.com
    Dudek drawn to Benfica move

Jerzy Dudek's agent admits his client would be very interested in a move to Benfica but insists Liverpool still hold the key to his future.

The Pole has lost his status as number one at Anfield to Spaniard Jose Reina and has been left kicking his heels on the substitutes' bench this term as a result.

His representative Jan de Zeeuw confirmed that Dudek is frustrated with his current plight and would happily consider a transfer if Liverpool gave him the green light to move on.

Indeed, he claimed the option of Benfica would be particularly attractive because of Dudek's relationship with coach Ronald Koeman.

"Benfica are well-known in Holland because their coach is Dutch and is frequently on television there," de Zeeuw told O Jogo.

"Benfica would, of course, be an interesting option, not least because Dudek played with Ronald Koeman at Feyenoord in 1996.

"At that time, Koeman said he was an excellent goalkeeper and Feyenoord should hold on to him.

"What's more Benfica is playing in the Champions League and would be an attractive option for any player."

De Zeeuw went on to suggest that Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez's predilection for Spanish players was another reason for his client to move on, but revealed showdown talks over the next week would determine whether he would be allowed to seek pastures new.

"He is under contract for another year, but there are two differing situations at Liverpool," continued de Zeeuw. "There is a Spanish trend - the coach is Spanish and (Jose) Reina is Spanish as well, but behind them the English prefer Dudek.

"Dudek wants to play, but at the moment that is looking very difficult for him.

"Liverpool have never said that they are not counting on him anymore, but in the next week we will go and speak with the coach and the directors to see what future they see for Dudek.

"If Liverpool feel they do not need him then every option is possible, but at the moment everything is in the hands of Liverpool.

"I do not know how much Liverpool will ask for his transfer, but they will probably want quite a large fee."

Benfica are in the market for a new custodian after injuries to Quim and Jose Moreira

If this is true, then it looks good for bringing in Simao for a decent price with Dudek included in the deal.

Advertisement