Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't cycled in ten+ years, looking for advice on a new bike !

Options
  • 10-11-2005 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I use to cycle alot in my early teens and have been thinking of getting a mountain bike alot recently. I'm 26 and want to get a little fitter. Any advice on a bike to start back cycling with? Was looking at this on cyclesuperstore.ie;

Hel1904g.jpg

Raleigh Solar Hell Bent '05
    SKU: HEL1904G
    Brand: Solar
    • Frame - D type suspension with teardrop tubing
    • Fork - Suspension fork
    • Brakes - V brakes
    • Gears - 18 Spd GripShift
    • Wheels - 26" Alloy
    • Color - Red
    Model Year: 06

Price: €183.75

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't reccomend you buy that if you are planning on doing anything even slightly more than going to the shops for bread. For that money you'ld want to be looking at getting a rigid frame with rigid forks. Any suspension bike that cheap will cost you more to maintain than it would have cost buying a 1/2 decent bike in the 1st place. Are you planning on mountainbiking or what? That certainly isn't suitable if you are. Look at getting a proper brand - Trek, Giant etc... even their basic models and you'll do a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

I'm just looking for something basic to start with. I don't plain to cycle up/down everest. A simple bike like above or one of these;
    Edit*

Just saw your post here Simona1986, anymore info on the bike?

Thanks

Out of those bikes, I'd say the last one would be the best but none of them are particularly decent.
    The details on my bike are:
    Raleigh Gents Hybrid: 21 speed, suspension seat post, V-brakes all around. Shimano Nexave gropuset. Very good condition, cycles perfect. €175ono
    I have a back carrier and a stand I can throw in for you too.

I think I'm gonna get this;

Trojan Reactor Front Suspension Mens 26in Cycle.t.gift.gift.gift.gift.gift.gift.gif£89t.gif.99 (€150)
    • MTB steel frame with front suspension fork.
    • 18 speed Shimano gears with twistgrip controls.
    • Power V brakes, alloy rims.
    • Suitable for inside leg measurement 79 to 91cm.

I would advise against it tbh.
    Argos would be the last place I would buy a bike. For that money try and get something with no suspension at all.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with Argos? A bike is still a bike no matter where it's bought. Argos have a bike with no suspension for €140.

*Edit

Link - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3303450/Trail/C%24cip%3D28405.Sports%2Band%2Bleisure%3EC%24cip%3D28406.Bikes%2Band%2Bcycling%3EC%24cip%3D28419.Leisure%2Bcycles.htm

Just that they aren't a bike shop. If anything goes wrong you have no-where to go to get it serviced while it's under warranty. If you want to buy on the web have a look here
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s0p0
    It's probably worth throwing the extra €100 or so into your budget as you will save it on repairs in the future compared to if you buy cheapo now.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Just that they aren't a bike shop. If anything goes wrong you have no-where to go to get it serviced while it's under warranty. If you want to buy on the web have a look here
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s0p0
    It's probably worth throwing the extra €100 or so into your budget as you will save it on repairs in the future compared to if you buy cheapo now.

Well that's their problem not mine, if they can't provide somewhere to repair it while under warranty I'll bring them to the small claims court, I have rights as a consumer.

Ah but tbh I think I'll go for the €150 or €140 one, I'm just starting back at cycling and don't want to invest to much money.

Thanks for the advice. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Well that's their problem not mine, if they can't provide somewhere to repair it while under warranty I'll bring them to the small claims court, I have rights as a consumer.
    And while you are working through the small claims process you are without the use of your bike... It's always best to avoid problems in the first place.
    The more money I've spent on bikes the less problems I've had. I think it was said on this forum last year: "Pay now or pay later".

If you are planning to limit your cycling to roads I recommend getting something with appropriate tyres (i.e. not nobbly off-road tyres). I changed my mtn bike tyres to slicks (1.3" wide vs 1.9" that came with the bike) and I can go a good bit faster, with higher air pressure (less rolling resistance) and it's quieter.

Talk with the staff at Cycle Superstore, ask for their advice. The only "city" bike for under e200 is a Reflex Parkway for e175.

If you invest in a good bike and then don't like cycling, you can always sell it. The depreciation will depend somewhat on how you treated the bike.

We all mean well here. (I assume that) We all here love cycling. We want to see others love it too.

daymobrew wrote:
    And while you are working through the small claims process you are without the use of your bike... It's always best to avoid problems in the first place.

Well when/if that happens you can say I told you so... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

just to re-iterate what others have already said, a budget bike with suspension is not really going to pay off. It's far better to get a bike with rigid forks for the same money. You will get more bang for your buck.
    I see that some of the links you posted are of rigid fork bikes. I would go for one of them before I went the full suspension one in the first post.
    I think if you are going for a basic starter bike, then it doesn't really matter where you buy it from. If you find that you really enjoy cycling and want to upgrade to something better , then it's time to go to a proper bike shop

P

Cheers, I'm getting a bike here on boards on Thursday :). 17" frame, ridged. I couldn't pass it by, great deal and it's a starter bike for me, I can always sell it on when I'm going to do the Tour De France and get a better bike. :D

Linkage...

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Ah but tbh I think I'll go for the €150 or €140 one, I'm just starting back at cycling and don't want to invest to much money.

Thanks for the advice. ;):)

I can't see any warranty on the Argus web page, so you might want to check that out. If there is a warranty on a bike with this price tag, it'll be so covered with caveats. For 150 yoyo, you're just not going to get anything durable.

I can't see any warranty on the Argus web page, so you might want to check that out. If there is a warranty on a bike with this price tag, it'll be so covered with caveats. For 150 yoyo, you're just not going to get anything durable.

Here ya go, took me a whole 5 seconds to find.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.jsp.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Er, thats a returns and refunds policy, not a product specific warranty. And its full of holes anyway with phrases like "...most of..." and "Some products are excluded...".

Anyway, Argos are only going to do a back-to-back with the manufacturer on the warranty. So my question still stands.

Ah I don't care anymore, I'm happy. Good luck. /Unsubscribes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That second hand Townsend was a good choice. I can't see the parts too well but it's 10 times better than the Argos yoke.

Yup, good buy the townsend - much better than any of the ones you linked to above. Happy cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

argos will replace the bike and YOU have to build it.
    e220 in halfords you will get an
    alloy frame
    shimano tourney derailleur(1 better than sis)
    decent rear v-brake
    front disc brake
    front suspension forks with 50mm travel(enough for he ****e city roads)
    better axles and hubs
    decent bottom bracket
    all built and pdi'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Good choice in the end. My advice is to go rigid .... er ignore that :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

argos will replace the bike and YOU have to build it.
    e220 in halfords you will get an
    alloy frame
    shimano tourney derailleur(1 better than sis)
    decent rear v-brake
    front disc brake
    front suspension forks with 50mm travel(enough for he ****e city roads)
    better axles and hubs
    decent bottom bracket
    all built and pdi'd

What bike is this? I'm looking for a replacement hybrid/road bike in the €300 range. Waiting for halfords in Carrickmines to open to see what new stock they get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

Gegerty wrote:
    What bike is this? I'm looking for a replacement hybrid/road bike in the €300 range. Waiting for halfords in Carrickmines to open to see what new stock they get in.

apollo xc26s e219.99

Advertisement