Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6230i - camera repairs?

• 10-11-2005 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I bought my phone about a month ago and after a night of drunkardness I awoke to find it drenched in Jack Daniel's finest. At first it wouldn't turn on but it comes on most of the time now and the only real trouble I have with it is the camera and loudspeaker. The latter seems to pose a problem less and less - when it does pose a problem it's because it won't seem to turn off even when the phone is off i can hear the loudspeaker and when it's on it gives out the sound of interference. The camera on the other hand has been a problem since the accident - it displays an image almost like a television not tuned in properly. Can it be repaired? Can *I* repair it? I would enjoy the project if I could do it. Grateful for any input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

probly the only thing that will help is to take it apart and stick it in the hotpress and let it dry out, hairdryer will just burn the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spitfier

it's already been dried out in a hot press. it's been suggested to me i have it disassembled completetly and run it in an ultrasonic cleaning bath a few times. i hear the telephone centre on dawson street are good for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

you could ask wolfman from here to have a look for a fee he's pretty good or you could strip it down and clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol
    Pete

that's the third or fourth time wolfman has been reccomended to me. he must be teh suck :) i've already private messaged him. it was in fact, this half man half wolf that reccomended the ultrasonic bath to me in the first place! i've no problem paying a fee as the phone is worth €369. tell me more about this isopropyl alcohol? where might one obtain it? i'm going to invest in a t6 screwdriver tomorrow. also i've heard rumours that it would be possible to take out insurance on the phone and two months later bring it back in and claim a new phone - though that would be wrong albeit interesting food for thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

peterk19 wrote:
    you could ask wolfman from here to have a look for a fee he's pretty good or you could strip it down and clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol
    Pete

I did this to a phone of mine before and it worked..not too hard either especially since nokias are pretty straight forward for taking apart.

The place on Dawson St. also fixed a water damaged phone of mine before in a few hours.. under warantee too but I don't know how that one worked out..

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was talking to a guy who used to work in there. He said it should only cost about €20 for them to fix it, if they can fix it. Where do i get isopropyl alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

spitfier wrote:
    i've heard rumours that it would be possible to take out insurance on the phone and two months later bring it back in and claim a new phone

afaik you have to take out insurance very soon after you bought the phone, something like less than 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

Ah sure wolfman is the man it seems. He's a boards dude too, can't go wrong. ;-)

*Edit

PS - I've an ultrasonic cleaner.

I might even buy one myself. Even if it doesn't fix the phone it would be very cool to have for the future. I'm going to google for one now, but tell me, where did you get it and how much did it cost?

spitfier wrote:
    I might even buy one myself. Even if it doesn't fix the phone it would be very cool to have for the future. I'm going to google for one now, but tell me, where did you get it and how much did it cost?
    here ya go.

Linkage... :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the linkage techie_2006 but €89 is a bit beyond my budget for this specific item right now. I'm told if I take it to the Telephone Centre on Dawson Street to bathe it for me they'll only charge me €20 or so. I might get onto the big fella in Lapland about buying the Ultrasonic Cleaner for the christmas.

afaik you have to take out insurance very soon after you bought the phone, something like less than 2 weeks

Thanks for the information Commander Vimes, can anyone else confirm or deny this for me?

spitfier wrote:
    Thanks for the linkage techie_2006 but €89 is a bit beyond my budget for this specific item right now. I'm told if I take it to the Telephone Centre on Dawson Street to bathe it for me they'll only charge me €20 or so. I might get onto the big fella in Lapland about buying the Ultrasonic Cleaner for the christmas.

I'll do it for 19 eurodollars :D ... lol great word. No fix no fee ;)

I'm based in Dublin 7 and unfortunately I have no transport. Anytime over the weekend would be great if you can make your way to mine. Also, I'll give you €25 for allowing me to watch the process, fix or no fix. I can't imagine the Telephone Centre humouring my request "oh yes, but I want to see how it's done also - I'm a member of Club Nokia I'll have you know!" :rolleyes:

spitfier wrote:
    I'm based in Dublin 7 and unfortunately I have no transport. Anytime over the weekend would be great if you can make your way to mine. Also, I'll give you €25 for allowing me to watch the process, fix or no fix. I can't imagine The Telephone Centre humouring my request "oh yes, but I want to see how it's done also - I'm a member of Club Nokia I'll have you know!" :rolleyes:
    Well, it's not a five minute job. It takes about 5 minutes to take the phone apart, then I'll put it in the cleaner for 10 minutes. I usually leave a phone over night to dry out so I don't fancy making two journeys. I don't mind showing you it's just a time thing.

Couldn't I dry it out over night myself? I don't have a hotpress in my flat, only a storage heater/radiator if that's any use. How do you usually dry them out?

I let it dry over a radiator. How will you put it back together? Anyway I'd rather do the whole job then a half job. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to phones, so I like to do repairs myself that way I know I've tried everyway to fix it.

I can relate to, and respect your perfectionist ethos. Though, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, are you an established company? Will I get a receipt? What guarantee have I got that I'll see my phone again if I hand it over to a perfect stranger? :D

Well first of all nobody's perfect & a stranger is a friend you've yet to meet.;) I'm just trying to help ya out.

I inquired about this today, seems you're right. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement