Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating causes a racket in the walls and floors

Options
  • 10-11-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Recently moved into a new house. Every time we turn on the heating, we're treated to a knocking sound in the living room wall. Also, upstairs, it sounds like someone's constantly dropping a marble and letting it bounce across the floor.

It's a new estate. Asked the plumber about the living room wall and he said that it wasn't a plumbing problem. He reckoned that the boys who were putting up the plasterboard must have placed a blob of glue against a pipe. He said they'd have to come back and take out a section of the board to mend the problem. Don't really want to go tearing holes in the wall unless that's the only solution.

At the time he was here, we didn't know about the upstairs racket (it was September - we had only put on the heating once or twice) so I didn't get to ask him about this. We haven't done anything about it since (new house - got fed up trying to sort out bits and pieces) but now we have the heating on every day and the noise drives me nuts!

Any second opinions before I go to the foreman to ask him to sort it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

Have you tried bleeding the rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Not sure what type of piping is used in your house.
    In a system with copper pipe (or the old gun barrel), the tapping sound can be caused by a pipe which is sitting on a joist. When the pipe heats it expands and moves on the joist and makes the sound. It can also be caused by a long radiator. The radiator sits on metal brackets. When it expands it moves on the brackets. Try leaving a rad off and see if it makes a difference. If it does try placing a bit of plastic or some soft material where the rad sits on the bracket. This may not work as it may be the pipe going to the rad that is the problem. Something to try anyway :)
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Schira wrote:
    Recently moved into a new house. Every time we turn on the heating, we're treated to a knocking sound in the living room wall. Also, upstairs, it sounds like someone's constantly dropping a marble and letting it bounce across the floor.

It's a new estate. Asked the plumber about the living room wall and he said that it wasn't a plumbing problem. He reckoned that the boys who were putting up the plasterboard must have placed a blob of glue against a pipe. He said they'd have to come back and take out a section of the board to mend the problem. Don't really want to go tearing holes in the wall unless that's the only solution.

Air in pipes or pipe expansion as it heats up causing pipe to bang against plasterboard.....agree ???
    "Blob of glue against pipe" indicates that it's not a stud / hollow wall.
    If it was hollow, they probably used qualpex pipe just laid behind plasterboard. All avoidable with a couple of pipe clips.
    If plasterboard is "glued " straight to blockwork(yuk!),pipe should still have been secured enough to prevent this type of vibration.
    In both cases..plumber's fault, imho
    Schira wrote:
    At the time he was here, we didn't know about the upstairs racket (it was September - we had only put on the heating once or twice) so I didn't get to ask him about this. We haven't done anything about it since (new house - got fed up trying to sort out bits and pieces) but now we have the heating on every day and the noise drives me nuts!

Still not to late to complain, but look, NO, I mean realy look for all faults, even the smallest. and not just plumbing. Use a magnifying glass...yeh, faults that small. Make a list ( copy for yourself), a long one, A4 size. Remember it's not too late to get a snag list done up professionally. Even a good G.O. off a building site will see more than you will.
    Schira wrote:
    Any second opinions before I go to the foreman to ask him to sort it?

Ask him nicely once......then hound him,....daily
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi,

In relation to asking the foreman I'd agree with Tapest ask nicley once only. We tried to be nice to builders no raised voices no bad language be reasonable all the rest and we have just been (pardon le francais) SHAT on by them. Suppose to snag today and they have not even got the electricity or gas in yet plus an outstanding paving job from the planning permission still not done.

Ended up having a blazing row with the foreman in the end he was standing in front shaking and his hands were shaking as he took notes. This is NOT the way to conduct business I feel terible should not have to treat anybody like that but eventually you just run out of options to get anything done. To be honest the fun and excitement of buying our first home for me has gone completely out of it because of As**** ike this. One piece of advice when you do go to the foreman make him give you a written notice of when the work will be done at get him to sign it. Not quite sure of legal standing probably none at all but then he is not too sure either and try sound like you know what you are on about. Not sure if you are female or male but this guy gave the girlfriend the run around pathetic I know in this day and age but it is something to bear in mind maybe have a male friend go with you if you are female (and second class in builders eyes)

I started out with everyone telling me builders were all cowboys and you could not trust them, I said no and gave them a chance but some of them are and you have got to be tough and real crap way to be but seems to be the only way.

Eddie

PS some of our trades have been ok but only one great, the guy who put in our fireplace old school pure gent and top quality work recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Schira,

Some great advice there, I would expect if the pipe was held in place by the plasterer the effect would be the opposite, no movement because it would be similar to using the pipe clip tapest mentioned.

Perhaps no movement in the pipe at a central point is causing the pipe to vibrate above and below where it is held, in reality we are talking about a domestic installation so the pipe run shouldn't need that much room for expansion.

I have seen the pipes move where plastic pipe (no name) was connected directly to the boiler, being a new house the pump might be set too high or the system was not properly vented.

Some standard home owner maintenance is venting radiators but the pump may not have been vented properly which could cause vibration in the pipes.

eddiej has made some very good points about how a woman may be treated by some tradesmen, however there is nothing more frightening than a woman who expresses her authority.

Nice once, if you have to contact them again (and are a woman) let em know who is boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Schira

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'll give it a go and follow some of these tips. Well spotted that I'm one of the female species. Think I'll change my username to something more neutral!

Advertisement