Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gentleman start your Tellys!

Options
  • 11-11-2005 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Top Gear is back on BBC 2 at 8pm Sunday.

'nuff said! :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Excellente

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

is it true its only a short season of 6 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

6 episodes would be up to Christmas, they'd probably take a break then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

God I hate that program....

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

91147__waldorfstatler_l.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bmoferrall wrote:

Is that supposed to be a pic of the 3 presenters, only Richard hammond isn't tall enough to see over the balcony! :D

Nope, not referring to the presenters :)

I'll be watching (and enjoying) the program.
    View it as entertainment and I think it's great fun, for the most part.
    If it wasn't dumbed down a little it probably wouldn't have survived this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hate the chat show / audience style and the cool wall and all the cliches. JC gets up my nerves sometimes

Love some of the outrageous stunts they pull. James May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The audience members appear to be mostly dorks but they seem quite proud and accepting of the fact. Although sometimes the features are quite good it really bugs me to watch the cars being spun, doing doughnuts and smoking the tyres. But the best thing about the New top gear versus the old one is that I don't have to watch that silly screaming brute Vicki Butler - Henderson (5th Gear) any more.

Unkel wrote:
    James May
    is a ???

There's lots to dislike about the program. Make a cuppa during the dull stuff and come back for the DB9s, Zondas, Ferraris, budget motoring competitions, etc. Some of the 'Star-in-a-reasonably-priced-car celebs' have been hilarious (Johnny Vegas, Eddie Izzard, Jimmy Carr, Terry Wogan!, etc.).
    I think James May was a great addition - very droll chap. It took him a while to settle in but he comes out with some good one-liners ("permission to say C**K on BBC", "I'm not going to take lectures in Physics from a man in tights").

Incidentally, the presenter that was originally dumped, Jason Dawe, has really come into his own on an excellent program called 'Used Car Roadshow' (M&M).

• Advertisement

Hate those stars in the chat shows and the forced humour and I don't care how they fare in a budget Suzuki round a race track. Next time JC mentions his AGA I will shove it where the sun don't shine :)
    bmoferrall wrote:
    I think James May was a great addition

So do I. Mr cool himself
    bmoferrall wrote:
    Jason Dawe

I like him too. He does the used car review in the Sunday Times too. And he does a deal of the week on new cars. He regularly gets up to 30-40% off the list price - respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Anyone seen the Mike Brewer guy and his car buying shows?
    The way he pronounces 'th' as 'f' does my head in.
    He always seems to be buying cars that are either Free door hatches
    or ones costing Firty Fousand quid or have free hundred horse power etc.

(has anyone seen the car buying show from Northern Ireland? It's totally ghey)
    unkel wrote:
    Next time JC mentions his AGA I will shove it where the sun don't shine :)
    Totally agree, he mentions a f**king AGA every week in his paper column and he's been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    Next time JC mentions his AGA I will shove it where the sun don't shine :) !
    His doctor told him to stop driving for six months - can someone tell me what this geriatric wooly-head is doing still reviewing cars? He needs to retire to wherever Noel Edmonds is hiding and not be on telly anymore.

I am the Stig by the way - just thought I'd clear that up.

'c

bmoferrall wrote:
    ...budget motoring competitions
    unkel wrote:
    ...and I don't care how they fare in a budget Suzuki round a race track.
    Me too. Actually, I was referring to the items where they each buy a car for around £100 and go head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bmoferrall wrote:
    Very clever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Bring back Tiff Needell and all the rest of them. And put Clarksons head in a reinforced concrete bunker so no one except him is killed when it finally gets so big that it explodes.
    :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Bring back Vicki!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Nuttzz wrote:
    Bring back Vicki!!

Seconded !!!

Surely a sacreligious comment like this deserves some kind of punishment by the Mods (maybe a weeks stay in Modified Motors??)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looking forward to it!

Who do ye think is The Stig????

I reckon it might be Tiff Needell.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Sparks400 wrote:
    Looking forward to it!

Who do ye think is The Stig????

I reckon it might be Tiff Needell.

Tiff Needell seems to be unable to keep his head in the same position for more than a second; if he was the stig it would be obvious.

• Advertisement

The original stig (2001-2003) was a guy called Perry McCarthy as he owned up to it in his autobiography "Flat out, Flat broke". He was a former F1 driver for the doomed Moda team that never made it and ended up testing for Williams and Benneton during the 90's.

Since then I've heard from a cousin who works in the BBC that the stig is more than one person.
    I know Damon Hill has definitely done it a few times and apparently so has Schumy (anyone remember when Mark Webber came on they gave him a t-shirt saying "i am the stig" but warned him not to let Schumy see him wearing it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finger poised over the button......!

I like the way Top Gear in its current format gets an opinion from anyone who's seen it. The old show was something only petrolheads ever watched regularly. These days many watch it just cos they enjoy the banter and silly stunts/challanges. Its BBC2s top rated on going series a mile (though Coast did very well).

JC does sometimes annoy but if he left there would be a big Clarkson shaped hole at the core and I suspect it would die (again). That said without Posh Bloke James May and cute (I'm told) Richard Hammond it would'nt work either. Jason Dawe was miscast.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Nuttzz wrote:
    Bring back Vicki!!
    LOL ! Yeah, I just couldn't remember her name :D
    And Quentin too :v:

I think one of my favourite episodes was where they had their mums test super-mini's...shows how far top gear has come from taking itself too seriously as it used to in the past !

bmoferrall wrote:
    Me too. Actually, I was referring to the items where they each buy a car for around £100 and go head to head.

Oh and I agree with ya! The old banger races / challenges are one of my favourite bits of the program

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I liked the one where RH and JM played football with Toyota Aygo's.

That and the Toyota Pick-Up truck episodes.

Hang on, who ever said Toyotas are boring!!!! ;)

prospect wrote:
    That and the Toyota Pick-Up truck episodes.

Hang on, who ever said Toyotas are boring!!!! ;)

Yeah that one was class!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL ! Yeah, I just couldn't remember her name :D
    And Quentin too :v:
    8pm Mondays (and a repeat on weekends) http://fifthgear.five.tv/ /me *hugs* FTV card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Cant wait, love it.

Clarkson is a hero, hope they have some more races, class! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yea love it.
    J. C. is cool, loved the toyota hilux thing.
    May and Hammond are good too, agree with someone earlier I do tire of the screaming sideways stuff a bit. That may be jealousy however!

Advertisement