Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter help

• 11-11-2005 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi.

I brought a second hand Gilera DNA 50cc scooter a while back. Due to other issues in my life it sat in a dry garage for the last year and a bit. Now when I try to start it up it won’t start.

It has petrol and oil. I recharged the battery. No luck. When I press the starter button everything turns on ok, but when I try to get the engine to click over (not sure of the right terminology) nothing happens.

By holding the breaks and turning the clutch (while the starter button is pressed) the engine should start revving but nothing happens - I just hear the starter buzzing away.

I don’t have any user manual, can’t find one online so I’m not sure what to try next. I noticed that the coolant container is empty – but I’m not sure what I should fill it with.

Any help would be really cool at this point.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Try opening and closing the throttle about 5-10 times before you try to start it. Also check the sparkplug. If its very dirty replace it
    Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is is actually turning over and just not starting or starter just buzzing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 elbrop

K-TRIC wrote:
    Is is actually turning over and just not starting or starter just buzzing ?

I think its turning over - it sounds like the engine is going but it just won't start revving up to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 elbrop

Try opening and closing the throttle about 5-10 times before you try to start it. Also check the sparkplug. If its very dirty replace it
    Good Luck

I'll give this a go, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep sparkplug would be a contender for sure.

I used to have a bike that was a right bíatch to start if not used for a while, the only way it would get going was to find a steep hill , neutral, then click into second gear when a decent speed is gotten, release clutch and hang on for dear life..don't try this unless you are riding bikes a while..its dangerous!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

the battery could be dead?

when u turn the key is the horn and stuff working?

leaving a bike sitting for that long the oil might need to be changed unless it was bled out before storage. it can congeal.

the starter motor could be gone? have u tried kick starting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Petrol can do funny stuff if left for a long time( gel up and the like)
    You may need to drain tank and clean carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I noticed that the coolant container is empty – but I’m not sure what I should fill it with.

Ye might want to fill this back up. Ye can blow yer head gasket if your coolant is empty, and this costs a few hundred to fix. Just fill it up with a coolant. You can buy thisin any motor factors. But it does sound like its your spark plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I had that exact problem with a scooter a couple of times , It was the sparkplugs on both occasions.I d say get someone to take a look at them for ya .

Advertisement