Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote desktop from internet to machine on LAN

• 11-11-2005 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a w2k domain server sharing internet with ICS to other comps on the domain
    On the server One netcard has a public static ip the other a local.
    The other PC's get dhcp addreses from this machine.

I can remote desktop from the internet to the server machine but how do i remote desktop to one of the machines on the lan.

I'm unfamiliar with ip / port forwarding on windows so i need some good instructions please :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Well I don't know if it's exactly the same in 2k, but in XP the advanced tab of the Local Area Network properties has the ICS settings. The only settings actually there is port forwarding. Click add new service, give the name, internal host, internal port, external port, and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Try this:

Click on Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial Up Connections.

Right click on your external network connection and select properties. Click on the Sharing tab. Click Settings.

Click on the Services tab. Then click add. For the port number type 3389 and enter in the IP of the internal machine you want to give access to.

Obviously you won't be able to access the Remote Desktop on your server now because the port is being redirected internally. You might have to disable the Remote Desktop on the server too if there's a conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

ro2 wrote:
    Obviously you won't be able to access the Remote Desktop on your server now because the port is being redirected internally. You might have to disable the Remote Desktop on the server too if there's a conflict.
    He can just use a different port for the other machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Cheers lads - this is where i was playing with alrigh
    I'll try again later - I was using the machines dns name but it was not working
    I'll try with the IP

Thanks

Is there something you need to start on XP pro in order to remotely connect to it.

Even on the LAN -
    I started remote desktop on w2kserver machine - clicked browse and it only showed itself and another computer with win2kserver
    When i specify the ip if the XP machine it gives an error.

I have the 'Allow remote connection' box checked on XP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Have you got the firewall enabled on the XP machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Heres the easier option.
    Go to www.logmein.com and go for the Free version.
    It passes throught NAT and everything!

I use it for 3 pc's all behind a firewall its awesome.

ro2 wrote:
    Have you got the firewall enabled on the XP machine?

"Yeah i'da say it's enabled by default
    Ill try without it"

edit - Actually there is no service pack - i don't think the firewall was in the original...could be wrong

Diabolus - i don't like those web based ones that you ahve to pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

egan007 wrote:
    Diabolus - i don't like those web based ones that you ahve to pay for

Its free...

I still have my problem though:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement