Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

almera 2.0 gxd

Options
  • 11-11-2005 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anybody got any reviews? Looking at one at the mo.
    Anybody here have any experience reviews on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had one of these for a day once a good couple of years ago when my own car was in to have work done.

The 2.0 diesel is really old school diesel and very slugish, it only has about 70bhp and I don't think it even had a turbo. This engine dates back to the Nissan Sunny from the start of the 1990s. The car itself has the usual Nissan build quality and reliability though but to be honest unless you are getting it very cheap and mpg is utmost important over performance I would look for something else.

Drive the car yourself first before making up your mind but I would recommend a Skoda Octava 1.9 Tdi or Seat Leon 1.9 Tdi as better alternatives, only thing is that they are more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

cheers, do you know if a turbo can be fitted on it?

I think the engine type is cd20.
    Whats the maximum speed she reaches? Is it cr*ppy for overtaking etc. I will be doing long distance driving so mpg for is is 50 compared to my current one 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have a primera TD which has the same engine with a turbo bolted on. It's an old school indirect injection engine. It is harsh and noisey at low revs, but no more so than than the equivalent vw tdi's or pre-common rail offerings from other manufacturers. The turbo diesel is hardly earthshattering performance wise, but I never have any trouble keeping up with the traffic or overtaking for that matter, its got 88bhp but isn't quite as torquey as the vw TDi's so no not quite as quick as the 90bhp TDi's, but close all the same. I'd imagine the non-turbo version is very lethargic though. If I were you I'd look for a primera TD, better performance and similar economy, there won't be any great difference in price, tax and insurance will be the same, the spec levels should be much better, I've got electric windows all round, electric mirrors, heated mirrors(something you don't realise you ever needed until you have them), remote c/l, etc... a lot of almeras have manual everything.
    Price, this is where you're on a winner, their boring image makes them great value for money. They cost so little that there's nothing left to depreciate.
    Reliability wise, apart from a dead battery a couple of days after buying it (the joys of buying privately) I've never had to turn the key a second time, even on the coldest morning and I've had it nearly 2 years and it's got 140k on the clock.
    Maintenance wise, make sure the timing belts have been changed, there are two, one driving the camshaft and one driving the injector pump from the other end of the camshaft, or budget to do it. Other than that, regular oil and filters should see it running sweet for years to come.

The timing belt needs to be changed and the oil filters air filter, basically an entire service.! But she's a spotless car and I do high mileage so she's ideal for me.
    Although I like the speed kick of turbo, i cant afford one at the moment but Im hoping to get turbo next year. My bro has a turbo he's 22 had a full licence for 3 years and his insurance is €2500. I mean hes got 4 years no claims bonus. crazy.

lazylad wrote:
    The timing belt needs to be changed and the oil filters air filter, basically an entire service.! But she's a spotless car and I do high mileage so she's ideal for me.
    Although I like the speed kick of turbo, i cant afford one at the moment but Im hoping to get turbo next year. My bro has a turbo he's 22 had a full licence for 3 years and his insurance is €2500. I mean hes got 4 years no claims bonus. crazy.

Don't forget the fuel filter. The 2.0D almera went out of production around 00, you will find a similar age 2.0TD primera for similar money. Insurance won't be much different, if at all, get a quote for both and you'll probably be surprised, I'd wager they'll be the same. Insurance for me is very little different to what it would be on a 1.0 micra. When you say your brother has a turbo, is that petrol or diesel? You say your current car does 32mpg, that's got to be a 1.4 at the very least but probably a 1.6 petrol, I bet you that it wouldn't cost any more for a 2.0TD.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    Don't forget the fuel filter. The 2.0D almera went out of production around 00, you will find a similar age 2.0TD primera for similar money. Insurance won't be much different, if at all, get a quote for both and you'll probably be surprised, I'd wager they'll be the same. Insurance for me is very little different to what it would be on a 1.0 micra. When you say your brother has a turbo, is that petrol or diesel? You say your current car does 32mpg, that's got to be a 1.4 at the very least but probably a 1.6 petrol, I bet you that it wouldn't cost any more for a 2.0TD.

My bro has a diesel. She needs a new fuel filter pretty much everything to pass NCT. My current car is a 1.4 petrol. Would the 1996 2.0 gdx have less acceleration and speed than a 02 1.4 volkwagen petrol? I assume it would be a small difference because gxd is older diesel engine. Then again, economically I spend a lot on petrol and find it too expensive to be honest and almera would be relief but good starter car.

I've never driven the non-turbo but you can feel the turbo kick in on mine. Comparing it to a 1.4 golf, there would probably not be much difference, but go and take it for a spin to see for yourself. You're really only talking €1000 to €2000 for a 1996 almera, you'll get a similar age primera for the same money, check the insurance, why settle for a starter car when you can get something with more go for the same money?

Advertisement