Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What mpg are you getting ?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Bought a Fiat Doblo deisel van few months back. It was doing 50 mpg. Put it in for nct/doe (whatever you call it) test and now only doing 43mpg. Is this normal? Have you found a lowering of mpg after testing? I have been told that it should revert to original mpg but hasn't after two months ! Have any of you had this happen ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Have you had it serviced recently or is it nearly due a service? Are you carrying heavier loads now? Are you doing different driving, i.e. were you doing a lot of out of town driving then and lots of town driving now? I really don't see how the NCT could have affected the MPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trishh

It was serviced previous to test. Not driving different, same routine, load hasn't changed. I've been back to the mechanic that done test to ask him what he did to cause change in mpg. He said all he did was to put some fluid (don't know name of it) through the engine to reduce emissions. He claimed this could reduce mpg but would revert to original mpg within a week or so. This is now 2 months down the road ! Wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Maybe someone here could give some insight on this "fluid" to reduce emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The colder weather since your first got your car will also have had a detrimental effect on your fuel consumption since your engine doesn't operate efficiently until it is warmed up. In colder weather (like now) it takes longer for your engine to warm, and especially on short trips, your car operates a smaller percentage of time at the desired temperature. Also make sure your tyres are properly inflated as tyre pressure drops in colder weather causing more rolling resistance which also increases fuel consumption, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.

(To an even lesser extent the increased weight of the vehicle due to the additional clothing worn by passengers in colder weather may also increase fuel consumption. My advice would be to drive naked :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Also with less daylight hours and the weather you are probably running electrics more such as lights, heaters, etc.

I always find that my petrol consumption drops by a few mpg coming into winter, not to mention the traffic gets heavier hence more fual consumed sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

At the minute, 18mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

At the minute, about a 1,000 mpg :D (electric moped)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

27-29 MPG
    92 range rover classic 2.5 tdi

"STONE HIM, STONE HIM"

i'll be going back to my 50+mpg focus td soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

About 17mpg in town.

el tel wrote:
    The colder weather since your first got your car will also have had a detrimental effect on your fuel consumption since your engine doesn't operate efficiently until it is warmed up. In colder weather (like now) it takes longer for your engine to warm, and especially on short trips, your car operates a smaller percentage of time at the desired temperature. Also make sure your tyres are properly inflated as tyre pressure drops in colder weather causing more rolling resistance which also increases fuel consumption, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.

(To an even lesser extent the increased weight of the vehicle due to the additional clothing worn by passengers in colder weather may also increase fuel consumption. My advice would be to drive naked :rolleyes: )

ok, so, my best chance of getting more mpg is to
    drive naked
    with no
    lights, heaters
    and no
    short trips
    . Ok, got it ! If anyone sees a Fiat Doblo being driven by a frozen naked person.. Wave to me ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'll wave only if you stop and give me a lift :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Furp wrote:
    Also with less daylight hours and the weather you are probably running electrics more such as lights, heaters, etc.

Do the lights and heater not run off the altenator when the car's running??

I'm getting 57mpg (Vectra)

Sparks400 wrote:

That must be true ! It should be only manner of driving and load you're carrying that should affect mpg, is it?

Sparks400 wrote:

WOW !! That's bloody good from a 1.6 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Peugeot 307 1.4HDI 64mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

[PHP]WOW !! That's bloody good from a 1.6 ![/PHP]

A diesel I'm sure .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

trishh wrote:
    WOW !! That's bloody good from a 1.6 !

Sorry Trish, its a 2ltr Turbo Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Around 50mpg out of town
    Around 30 mpg in town

1.6 Golf

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

85 mpg on my Yamaha YBR 125.

Used to get 113 mpg when I was breaking it in, but now I drive it harder.
    Probably get about 45-50 mpg in my Citreon Xsara 1.4l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

57 from a 1.6 vectra no chance I am lucky if i get 30 from a 00 1.6 vectra
    and thats country miles
    Time to switch to Diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

On the 2.5L V6 Camry, 22~23 M/USG =~ 26mpg (UK)
    3.3L-V6 Minivan, 21~22m/USG, =~ 25.8mpg (UK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

7-series 3.5l V8

Dublin: 20MPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Im getting 33 mpg but my new car should take 50mpg.
    I drive long distance so it would be good. but i live on top of the hills so cant drive too smooth :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

97 2.5L 5 series
    If I monitored mpg then I'd probably get rid of the car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm getting about 42 mpg... '00 Fiesta 1.25 zetec.

edit: Mostly from twice-daily 12 mile hops through the countryside to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

trishh wrote:
    Sparks400 wrote:

That must be true ! It should be only manner of driving and load you're carrying that should affect mpg, is it?
    Nope, to the best of my knowledge, the electrical load affects mpg. The energy powering electrics like headlights and heaters/window defogger is generated by the alternator, but the alternator is powered/turned by a belt that is driven by the engine. The harder the alternator has to work, the more of a load on the engine and ultimately more fuel is burned. The same applies to air conditioning if your vehicle has it, as the AC compressor is also driven by a belt from the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

7 mpg-aston martin vantage 550bhp
    just kidding, your question is like how long is a ball of string, every bhp/torque/large engines/heavy cars/safety equipment/aerodynamics/looks/petrol/diesel etc are all compromises. what suits one person wont suit another. hence the GULF in car types,costs and relative economies.
    and yes its the winter thats causing your increased consumption, cold weather, and heating etc add 15% to your economy and headlights probably add another few percent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

17 mpg in my Impreza, the evo should get over 20. I'm not complaining though with the little driving I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Borrowed a Skoda Octavia 1.9TD, and was shocked at getting 74.4mpg doing nearly 250miles, inc going through Dublin City centre and being parked on the M50. The heavy traffic had a positive effect on economy as a lot of the travelling was at 80-100k, although going at 120k didn't have too much of a negative effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Opel Vectra 1.7D 1990 880 Kms with 42 litres of diesel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Greenman wrote:
    Opel Vectra 1.7D 1990 880 Kms with 42 litres of diesel
    I presume this is not an average.
    If we are listing our best mpg then mine is probable over 650 miles in the 97 523i on the autoroutes in France last year with less than one tank (~60L) - most of which was done between 100 and 130mph

Advertisement