Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boggers in the City

Options
  • 11-11-2005 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Why is it that the vast majority of country people in dublin seem to have a potatoe sized chip on their shoulder about the place "I hate Dubs"/"I hate Dublin"......well if thats the case fine , tear they should tear up their imaginary invitations and go back to their impoverished bog dwellings.

I was always under the impression the whole Dublin v. Country thing was merely a bit of banter, or at most the usual capital city syndrome which is evident in most western countries.

It is only in the since leaving college and coming into the workplace I have really seen it, and it is a real nastiness, an insular parochial small town mentallity which alot of country people seem to have towards Dublin.

I (and I think most Dubs) welcome all to this city, however if people are so down on a place and its people, why do they persist in staying here.Surely there's a small,republican,Catholic town somewhere where everyone says hello to each other and its all rosy in the garden.

I was talking to a girl last weekend who was bemoaning her difficulties in dealing with estate agents.When I commented that I felt she should be wary of them she replied "oh its fine now, the guy Im dealing with for the house is from Mayo so I'd say he's trustworthy".What kind of utter idiocy is that.

Comments please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

CaptJack wrote:
    Why is it that the vast majority of country people in dublin seem to have a potatoe sized chip on their shoulder about the place "I hate Dubs"/"I hate Dublin".....

Could have something to do with the vast majority of Dublin people that think anyone from outside the pale is a culchie. That'd include you with your "Boggers in the city" title. Typical of the small minded tbh. Now, hows about ending this over used flamebait subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Im with CaptJack on this one. Too many ****ing moaners. Put up and shut up or go back home to the country where everyone knows your name and always says hello blah de ****in blah. I'd hate to live somewhere where you cant leave your gaff without having to say hello to every wanker who happens to know your auld pair. I love living in a city with lots of people who don't know each other.......yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

CaptJack wrote:
    Why is it that the vast majority of country people in dublin seem to have a potatoe sized chip on their shoulder about the place "I hate Dubs"/"I hate Dublin"......well if thats the case fine , tear they should tear up their imaginary invitations and go back to their impoverished bog dwellings.

I was always under the impression the whole Dublin v. Country thing was merely a bit of banter, or at most the usual capital city syndrome which is evident in most western countries.

It is only in the since leaving college and coming into the workplace I have really seen it, and it is a real nastiness, an insular parochial small town mentallity which alot of country people seem to have towards Dublin.

I (and I think most Dubs) welcome all to this city, however if people are so down on a place and its people, why do they persist in staying here.Surely there's a small,republican,Catholic town somewhere where everyone says hello to each other and its all rosy in the garden.

I was talking to a girl last weekend who was bemoaning her difficulties in dealing with estate agents.When I commented that I felt she should be wary of them she replied "oh its fine now, the guy Im dealing with for the house is from Mayo so I'd say he's trustworthy".What kind of utter idiocy is that.

Comments please
    It's because of people like you. I spend most of my summer down in the country and so do some of my mates from other cities (Limerick, Galway etc.). The amount of ingnorant Dublin muppets passing throught that we get talking to that refer to my mates as boggers, farmers, culchies etc. is depressing.

You people seem to have a problem accepting that if your not from Dublin you are a bogger/culchie. Thats what the word means you idiots. Its a colloquialism. It refers to anyone not from Dublin. It does not mean you actually live in a bog or on a farm just that your from outside Dublin. Therefore you and your mates (if born in another county, doesnt matter which unlesss its one of the 6, in which case your a Nordi, even if you live in a bog or on a farm in the north) are boggers/culchies.
    Jaysus
    !!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

When I was growing up Dubs were most commonly referred to as Knackers. I suppose that's a colloquiallism too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

You people seem to have a problem accepting that if your not from Dublin you are a bogger/culchie. Thats what the word means you idiots. Its a colloquialism. It refers to anyone not from Dublin. It does not mean you actually live in a bog or on a farm just that your from outside Dublin. Therefore you and your mates (if born in another county, doesnt matter which unlesss its one of the 6, in which case your a Nordi, even if you live in a bog or on a farm in the north) are boggers/culchies.
    Jaysus
    !!!:confused:
    A bogger is a reference that would imply that anyone from outside of Dublin is a farmer. That nothing exists other than farms and boglands outside of Dublin. It is the single most ingorant and retarded word to have ever come out of Dublin.

The problem with the word Kn****r is that it is also used to refer to the travelling community. Thats racism not colloquialism.
    And the single most retarded word to come out of Dublin is Westlife. And thats half sligos fault anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm not going to directly support the OP.

However it pisses me off greatly to have people living in Dublin (from the country or from abroad) who do nothing but moan about the place. Fair criticism is one thing (often deserved), but constant complaining about everything really gets on my tits.

If you don't like it then go somewhere else please. I don't want to listen to your moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

And the single most retarded word to come out of Dublin is Westlife. And thats half sligos fault anyway.QUOTE]

haha hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

ballooba wrote:
    When I was growing up Dubs were most commonly referred to as Knackers. I suppose that's a colloquiallism too.

I'm from Dublin and we used to spend summers down in Galway/Tipperary with cousins. We were always called 'the jackeens', being from Dublin. I didn't think much of it as a kid, used to annoy me a little bit. Till I got older, and someone told me the term 'jackeen' came from Dublin being 'first to raise the Union Jack'. I didn't take too kindly to it after that. As I got older, I definitely noticed in some of my own cousins, that we were not quite accepted, being from Dublin, but maybe more so being from a city and not farmers (the cousins were all reared on farms).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Culchies see all Dubliners as a threat.
    It's all down to jealousy.
    They are terrified we will muscle in on some of their better looking sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

CaptJack wrote:

A bit of banter on top.:D Like that crusty bit on an infected scab, with pus oozing out from underneath that's so full of bacteria it's a horrid yeller colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CaptJack

Well, I rest my case,, I raise the question about why culchies hate Dublin so much yet persist in living here and what do I get??A load of tripe about why they dont like being called culchies.....thats not what I asked

It was quite rightly pointed out the terms are coloquialisms (as is jackeen)...the issue is if you hate a place so much , why bother staying.I dont care about Dublin people passing though yer hamlets during the summer and calling you farmers.....deal with it.They don't set up camp for years down there and moan about the people and the place.

We have a thing called free will.If you dont like the place....LEAVE.
    And don't gimme this "dubs think they're better than culchies" rubbish.We are all Irish.,......I am just sick to the back teeth of these people who by all accounts have under gone a style bypass, bad mouthing (ait for it....) YOUR CAPITAL CITY.

If you hate it so much, then don't use our stadiums.....don't support the Irish soccer team (since the majority are Dubs).....dont go to U2/Frames/Aslan concerts or listen to Thin Lizzy.Infact just go the hell back to what ever bitter little hovel you crawled out from under.In return we promise not to share any of the tax money generated by US and what is apparently (judging by your disdain for the place ) OUR CITY.Nor will we listen to any of your music (don't quite know who that refers to but Daniel ODonnel & Bon Jovi probably qualify)..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement