Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden shed is leaking

Options
  • 11-11-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
    We're renting a house, with a wooden garden shed out the back.
    But its leaking....
    And it has plug sockets out there...

Now here's the issue...
    I want to use the shed to put the drum kit into...so i need to waterproof it...
    [Sound proofing/insulation i'm not too worried about... have that bit sorted]

Do you think the landlord should be expected to waterproof the shed seeing as he put electrical sockets out there (thereby not needing me to say anything about turning it into a drum practice room)
    Or how would i go about sussing out how to get the thing done myself?
    But where would i start?
    Thanks for any help...
    catho

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Probably a simple enough job. Check to see if the felt has come off the roof. If that's the problem then it's easy enough to fix yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Most pre fab type wooden sheds have just one layer of mineral felt laid on the boards and nailed at the laps, the felt is secured at the front and sides by using a timber lath sometimes the felt is rolled around the lath but most have the timber showing.

Some are spot bonded using a cold adhesive like felt fix the reason they work is the slope is fairly steep and the water clears away very fast.

If the land lord doesn't want to fix it you can put another layer over the existing if it's bonded, or release the laths and it will pull off very easy.

A roll of similar felt is 10 metres long by 1 metre wide, the cover will be about 900mm allowing for laps, so measure the length of the shed and the roof from the top to the bottom multiplied by 2 and that will tell you how much felt you need.

Do Not try walking on the roof, they are not designed to carry weight, it will need two people for comfort and a calm dry day, you may have to replace the surrounding laths.

Advertisement