Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what will you have for dinner tonight?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The rest of last night's curry. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Buffybot, i have corned beef in my freezer for a wee while as i'm not quite sure what to do with it, i've only eaten it a few times and loved it but i'm scared i'll ruin it any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cooking wise: Just put it fat side up in a large pot and cover it with water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, allowing about one hour per pound.

For serving: Personally, I normally cook it the night before and let it cool. Keep it in the fridge overnight and then slice it the day I'm going to serve it, put it on a plate and steam it over the vegetables to re-heat. I find the flavour better the day after cooking then serving it up straight out of the pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

was invited round to a friend's house where i dined upon stewed steak, mashed potatoes, and mushy peas. yum! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I highly recommend Boxty - had it tonight very tasty. Mashed Spud/Bacon/Scallion/Red Onion

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

thanks buffybot, will try that over the weekend might even attempt corn beef hash if i can locate a recipe

• Advertisement

elliebn wrote:
    thanks buffybot, will try that over the weekend might even attempt corn beef hash if i can locate a recipe
    You're welcome.

It's going to be some fillets of plaice today. Haven't decided what to do yet..possibly steam them and do something equally healthy to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Haven't had plaice in ages.

Might I suggest mashed potatoes, steamed cauliflower and white sauce to go with it.

Not entirely healthy with the sauce but v.nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

i'm making shepherds pie this evening with sliced potatoes (maybe its called cottage pie) instead of mash, i love when they go golden brown and crispy on top, i bulk it up with carrots, onions, peppers, peas and a tin of tomatoes in with the beef stock, i might serve it with some steamed cauliflower

Tazz T wrote:
    Haven't had plaice in ages.

Might I suggest mashed potatoes, steamed cauliflower and white sauce to go with it.

Not entirely healthy with the sauce but v.nice.
    As it happens, I'm doing some veg with it, and I'm going to make a little bit of sauce to go over the plaice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dunno what I'm having tonight. Herself is cooking, and won't decide till she goes shopping later.

I know I'll be making some paté later on, for the weekend.

And I've already made some lamb broth (made stock from last Sunday's roast) for tomorrow nights dinner. We're off to our wood-heated shack in the alps for the w/end, and it'll be cold when we arrive, so its good to have quickly reheatable, warming dinner pre-made :)

Lamb, potatoes, leek, onion, celeriac, and parsnip. Yum.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Errr...I meant carrot, not onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

beef stir-fry. meat has been marinating since before breakfast! yay for meat!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm having whatever shabadu decides to feed me as I am visiting her this evening. I think she mentioned something about roast chicken...mmmmmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Boiled potatoes,peas and beans with a quorn burger or two I would imagine.
    Plenty of brown sauce and some coke or milk to wash it down,mmm.
    For dessert i might steal a slice of simu's peach champagne cake thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

Just had homemade meatballs with a bolognaise sauce and pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Last night was pizza with ham, green pepper and artichoke supplemented by a green bean, beet and feta salad.

Friday night is takeaway night - a jalfrezi I'm thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Salmon fishcakes served with carrots, broccoli and some mashed potato made with lightly fried leek, butter, milk and a clove of crushed garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

Noodles with crispy sesame chicken inspired by a recipe in Donna Hay's "Off the Shelf" cookbook.

Lunch today was pasta with a garlic/low-fat cream cheese sauce. Going to balance it out with some pizza later as I can't be bothered with cooking this evening :D

Advertisement