Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell when oil runs low?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey I have a 500 gallon Oil tank in my house, how can I tell when the oil is running low, like when I need to refill it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

joejoem wrote:
    Hey I have a 500 gallon Oil tank in my house, how can I tell when the oil is running low, like when I need to refill it?

Cheers
    A) When it runs out (this is how most people do it).
    B) Check every few months, or when you *think* it should be low, by shoving a stick into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

the_syco wrote:
    A) When it runs out (this is how most people do it).
    B) Check every few months, or when you *think* it should be low, by shoving a stick into it.

I had thought that alright but I couldnt see an entrance hole on the top, only on the bottom (I didnt try very hard though, I will later) and I was thinking, is there any chance that putting the heat on with no oil in the tank will damage the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

joejoem wrote:
    I had thought that alright but I couldnt see an entrance hole on the top, only on the bottom (I didnt try very hard though, I will later) and I was thinking, is there any chance that putting the heat on with no oil in the tank will damage the boiler?

Yes it can cause damage but if the boiler is good enough it will shut itself off. Then you'll need to 'bleed' the whole system because air will have gotten into the system.

By the way you won't be able to 'put the heat on' if you've no oil ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Bluetonic wrote:
    Yes it can cause damage but if the boiler is good enough it will shut itself off. Then you'll need to 'bleed' the whole system because air will have gotten into the system.

By the way you won't be able to 'put the heat on' if you've no oil ;)

So I take it the dip stick method is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also look for a condensation line on the outside during the morning, the cold oil will cause condensation, whereas the part of the tank with no oil will heat up quicker.

Dip stick method is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

joejoem wrote:
    I couldnt see an entrance hole on the top, only on the bottom
    If the "entrance hole" is on the bottom you are you're going to have a bit of bother getting it filled so. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

You can ask your oil supplier for a 'Night Watchman' which basically transmits a signal to oil company when your tank requires a refill.

You get updated monthly e-mails about your oil level.

Statoil (Baldoyle Oil) do it. Only 'catch' is that you agree to let them automatically fill when required.

A bit 'outside the box' now, but it is the way this business will be done in the future, as it enables better routing efficiencies for the oil companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There should be an opening at the top...get up on a ladder and have a look...then get a stick long enough and dip it. What I do, is mark the stick during peak usage time in winter and date the mark. Then go back 1 week later, same date and time approx and mark/date again. Then say if it has gone down by 2 inches, check the length of stick below the last mark to the empty point and you have a fairly good idea of when its going to run out.
    SIMPLE...............

Lex Luthor wrote:
    There should be an opening at the top...get up on a ladder and have a look...then get a stick long enough and dip it. What I do, is mark the stick during peak usage time in winter and date the mark. Then go back 1 week later, same date and time approx and mark/date again. Then say if it has gone down by 2 inches, check the length of stick below the last mark to the empty point and you have a fairly good idea of when its going to run out.
    SIMPLE...............

My idea of simple would be that the oil company comes and fills the tank when it needs oil.

Your idea of simple and my idea of simple are not the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

You could also try tapping your knuckles on the outisde of the tank and listening for the difference in sound between the empty part and filled part (know this works with metal tanks, not sure about plastic ones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you can get a oil tank sensor from here. It won't contact the oil company but will display oil level on a display device u plug in to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

or do something that even the laziest people would be proud of, convert to natural gas,and pay by direct debit...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Culchie wrote:
    My idea of simple would be that the oil company comes and fills the tank when it needs oil.

Your idea of simple and my idea of simple are not the same:)
    my idea is cheaper and with the cost of oil these days, then my idea is a no brainer and has no catches :p
    plus, if you're Nightwatchman is with one company then you don't get the chance to shop around and look for the best deal, which is half the fun anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got 500 litres of oil this time last year, and I was thinking "Man, that is lasting a long time" :D

Went out the back to the tank and knocked "Hello oil you there??".
    It was nearly empty, a big hollow sound. The tank was dead light as well, could have rocked it.

Time to get more oil.

BTW - was chuffed that 500 litres lasted from August 2004 to last week.

bubby wrote:

BTW - was chuffed that 500 litres lasted from August 2004 to last week.

You must have Cavan heritage, either that or you are newly married ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Culchie wrote:
    You must have Cavan heritage, either that or you are newly married ;)

Neither actually :) Burner must be damn good thats all ..

Advertisement