Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Request)research and markets reports cheaper?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I'm doing some research into a wide variety of sectors, and i keep coming across research and markets reports for €1500, anyone know where to get the older ones cheaper or free.
    Cheers
    Redz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Are you a graduate of any college? For example, DIT Aungier St allow graduate access for alumni and their library holds many research / sector titles including Euromonitor, Retail Monitor International and Market Research Great Britain.

The public library in the ILAC can be useful - ask the librarians advice in the business centre, you might be lucky.

Enterprise Ireland have a wonderful facility in Glasnevin. But:

1. They are very strict about access. You will need to be either a client of EI yourself or be nominated by a client.

2. You must book in advance. This includes giving the librarian a specific search to look under. They actively use their judgement to decide if what you ask for is relevant to your sector - i.e. don't go in asking about pet food in France if you are there at the request of a furniture manufacturer. Also you must be looking for export research (they will allow you Irish research, but they are not keen on you calling just for Irish research).

3. When you get there you will be shown to a desk. They will then give you a print out of the material they researched for you, and will either bring it to you or show you where to look for it.

4. You will not be able to photocopy more than 10% (sometimes 5%) of article/ book. And you have to write out a seperate page detailing what page numbers you will be copying for every book.

If you get a good 'un they will turn a blind eye to you walking around and taking back more books / articles as you please (this way you can look at other sectors) - and sometimes they let you p/copy yourself. If this is the case, make sure you only pay for what you should've been copying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Check out broker sites, such as NCB, Davy etc. They have reports on stocks/sectors that might be useful (not as in depth as you need maybe, but free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There are many companies offering market reports and insights into various markets esp. telecoms, mobile apps, broadband and what ever is the latest buzz ..VoIP etc. I bought one on premium SMS for broadcasting for €499 a few years ago. It was all very nice but really didn't tell me much more than what I knew already. Useful stuff but not outstanding. The distribute the report via a secure PDF usually so it's hard to pass on unless you can find someone who has a hard copy to give you.

If you have time and manpower you could probably produce a similar report from desktop research in a university library and a lot of googling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

You would be better paying a student or graduate a few quid to tailor the research to your requirements...

What are you looking into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Hey Folks thanks for all the advice and tips, the areas im focused on at the moment are the waste and property sectors.
    I have found that you can use googles cache to get behind a lot of password protected sites, which is nice.
    Redz

Advertisement