Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa

Options
  • 11-11-2005 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Why do you think there is so much poverty and corruption in all of the african countries? Can it be blamed on colonialism? Why is it that South Africa is the only country that resembles a civilised nation, is it merely a coincidence that the country has a large population of european descent? Are African blacks unable to live in western style democracies? It really puzzles me why not one of the countries (that I am aware of) can manage itself properly. What are your views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Why is it that South Africa is the only country that resembles a civilised nation

Which Africa are you looking at? The continent-defined one with Egypt and other North African nations in it, or some tuncated version where they get defined as "Mediterranean" or "Middle-Eastern" despite the continent they're on?

If its the latter, could you define it. If its the former, maybe you could explain what, exactly is uncilvised about some of the more northern nations?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

ok yes I should probably exclude all of the mediterranean african nations, they seem ok compared to the sub-saharan countries.

So what you're really asking is

"When we exclude the richer, more civilised regions of Africa, why is it that the remainder are poor, corrupt and uncivilised" ???

Its a fair qusetion, but I'd ask why you're singling out Africa. Why not ask that question about Asia? Or the Americas? Or Europe? Or the world in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Can it be blamed on colonialism?
    Put simply, yes, for a number of reasons -

1 - Time: Don't forget that most African colonies only became independent states in the later half of the 20th Century.

2 - Borders: Often the borders of these countries were draw up by their European masters, which means you get countries with two ethinic groups that hate each other (think what would happen if tomorrow half of Germany was suddenly in France).

3 - Power vacuum: The colonial powers didn't exactly spend a lot of time developing indigenous systems of government while they were there. When they left it greated a power vacuum, which as history has taught us is more than likely filled by a oppressive power.

4 - Poverty: Again colonial powers did little to establish proper economies and infrastructure systems in these countries. So when they left the countries were left with terrible infrastructure and little money to improve that situation. Instead of giving money (like the EU did to Ireland), the international community has piled on loan after loan so these countries fall into huge interest debt. This also isn't help by the fact that a lot of the countries have corrupt governments that aren't interested in funnelling the money to the people that actually need it.
    Why is it that South Africa is the only country that resembles a civilised nation
    Firstly I am not sure what you mean by "resemble a civilised nation" Most African countries resemble civilised nations.

Secondly, the reason South Africa is doing better economicall and social than other countries is that, due to the presents of white settlers, the colonial powers that ran the country, and also the white settlers that later broke away, were actually interested in developing things like infrastructure and economy (for themselves of course, not for the native blacks). So S.A was not as neglected as other African countries by the "powers that be". Of course thats if you are white, if you were a black South African you had and still have a pretty uncivilised time about it, because up until 15 years ago, no one that had much power in S.A gave a rats ass about you.
    Is it merely a coincidence that the country has a large population of european descent?
    Nope, where the white european settlers are thats where you will find the investment, socially and economically.
    Are African blacks unable to live in western style democracies?
    No reason to believe this, their exists a number of democracies in Africa.

A better question would be "Are European countries unable or unwilling to establish long lasting democracies in the countries the meddle in?" My answer would be yes. Obviously the current American and British governments haven't learnt that lession from history.
    It really puzzles me why not one of the countries (that I am aware of) can manage itself properly. What are your views on this?

Sure we (Ireland) can't manage ourself properly, and we have been a proper independent democracy for nearly 90 years!! And relatively speaking we were f**ked around a lot less by the British Empire than a lot of the African countries, a lot of who only gained independence recently. We also had the E.U to bail us out of our rather dreadful infrastructure problem (which is still crap)

they seem ok compared to the sub-saharan

Again, settlers and investment from, first the Ottoman empire and later the European empires. Also oil. Also revolutions against European masters (such as Algeria kicking out the French in 1954) tends to lead to less of a power vacuum than when a colonial country simply hands back power. This doesn't produce good governments (a lot of them are dictators) but it can lead to less tribal fighting like you see in sub-saharan Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Zimbabwe anyone? Is that the fault of colonialism?

411% inflation, dysentery begining to spread, people starving, homes levelled?

Very different to how it was in 10 years ago

Nuttzz wrote:
    Zimbabwe anyone? Is that the fault of colonialism?

Its due to a history of war, AIDS (1 in 4 have HIV, and it has the highest infection rate in the world), corrupt government, and cronic mismanagement ... some of that can be linked back to conlonialism (its only been 25 years since independence), other problems our more modern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A good question.

My friend has discussed this with me a few times wondering why its still such a mess out there.

The above points are very valid but look at India? They are only indepenant 50 years if that. They had a hard time being where they are now with all the friction with Pakistan but they are now one of the biggest growing economys in the world, a nuclear power too and a future super power.

Yes they still have savage poverty but look at their emerging middle classes.

Maybe it can be summed up in one word.
    Discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Wicknight wrote:
    Its due to a history of war, AIDS (1 in 4 have HIV, and it has the highest infection rate in the world), corrupt government, and cronic mismanagement ... some of that can be linked back to conlonialism (its only been 25 years since independence), other problems our more modern

Really? The place was doing alright until Robert got a rush of blood to the head

jank wrote:
    The above points are very valid but look at India? They are only indepenant 50 years if that. They had a hard time being where they are now with all the friction with Pakistan but they are now one of the biggest growing economys in the world, a nuclear power too and a future super power.
    Thats because they have a stable government with a huge well trained work force

These things don't just happen, they happy due to proper management of government, education and infrastructure.
    jank wrote:
    Discipline.

Look, I have been trying very hard not to assume people are being racist in this dicussion. But really, are we going to start summing up an entire continent in a few easy to understand (but completely over simplified) responses such as Africa is in a bad way because they (black people, I assume) aren't discipled?

The economic and social reasons for each African countries situation is unique, long and complex

I think people should be more interested in why we have such a distored view of Africa. I remember watching and interview with an African who came to work in London around the first Live Aid concert (this was in one of the looking-back-at-live-aid programs you had in the run up to the Live 8), who was quite puzzled at the way "Africa" as a general entity, was protraited in western media. People assumed he lived in a mud hut with his "tribe" and were surprised when they found out he could read and write (he was actually a doctor)

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    But really, are we going to start summing up an entire continent in a few easy to understand (but completely over simplified) responses such as Africa is in a bad way because they (black people, I assume) aren't discipled?

Once you limit it to sub-Saharan Africa (whatever that is), its only about half a continent being generalised.

Thats not so bad surely ;)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Wicknight wrote:
    1 - Time: Don't forget that most African colonies only became independent states in the later half of the 20th Century.
    That’s true of most colonies; it’s only the sub-Saharan African ones that have been consistently basket cases.
    2 - Borders: Often the borders of these countries were draw up by their European masters, which means you get countries with two ethinic groups that hate each other (think what would happen if tomorrow half of Germany was suddenly in France).
    Actually, half of Germany is currently in Poland.
    3 - Power vacuum: The colonial powers didn't exactly spend a lot of time developing indigenous systems of government while they were there. When they left it greated a power vacuum, which as history has taught us is more than likely filled by a oppressive power.
    That does not explain how fifty years later that vacuum remains.
    4 - Poverty: Again colonial powers did little to establish proper economies and infrastructure systems in these countries.
    Hold on, there were no proper economies and infrastructure systems in these ‘countries’ prior to colonialism. So had there been no colonialism and what few economies and infrastructure systems that were established had not been, then would it still be the fault of colonialism?

Or are you saying that Africa would have changed the habits of the last few millennia and developed these spontaneously of its own volition in the course of the nineteenth century?
    Firstly I am not sure what you mean by "resemble a civilised nation" Most African countries resemble civilised nations.
    By what standards?
    No reason to believe this, their exists a number of democracies in Africa.
    At any one time there exists a number of democracies in Africa, and a few years later you’ll find a completely different number of democracies in Africa.
    A better question would be "Are European countries unable or unwilling to establish long lasting democracies in the countries the meddle in?" My answer would be yes.
    So what? Countries meddle with each other, get used to it.
    Sure we (Ireland) can't manage ourself properly, and we have been a proper independent democracy for nearly 90 years!! And relatively speaking we were f**ked around a lot less by the British Empire than a lot of the African countries, a lot of who only gained independence recently.
    Utter Rubbish. Up until the discovery of vaccination and the end of the Napoleonic wars Europe had only a few disease ridden costal colonies in sub-Saharan Africa - the vast bulk of the continent hadn’t even been traversed, let alone colonised. In total Europe’s colonial period in Africa lasted far less than in Ireland and accordingly the influence was far less.
    We also had the E.U to bail us out of our rather dreadful infrastructure problem (which is still crap)
    Are you comparing our “rather dreadful infrastructure problem” with the plight of sub-Saharan Africa’s problems? Seriously?
    Thats because they have a stable government with a huge well trained work force

These things don't just happen, they happy due to proper management of government, education and infrastructure.
    Right, and the fact that this was in India and not in Africa was the fault of colonialism, how exactly?

That’s true of most colonies; it’s only the sub-Saharan African ones that have been consistently basket cases.
    South America anyone?
    Actually, half of Germany is currently in Poland.
    Didn't Germany go to war with Poland .... :rolleyes:
    That does not explain how fifty years later that vacuum remains.
    I never said it did, I said the power vacuums are filled by dictators and those with military power, often who have little regard for
    Hold on, there were no proper economies and infrastructure systems in these ‘countries’ prior to colonialism. So had there been no colonialism and what few economies and infrastructure systems that were established had not been, then would it still be the fault of colonialism?
    You assume that Africa, if it has never been colonisied, would just have never developed proper infrastructure? Why exactly?
    Or are you saying that Africa would have changed the habits of the last few millennia and developed these spontaneously of its own volition in the course of the nineteenth century?

Japan was still a country based on warlords and rival tribes in 1800 ... it seemed to do alright without being invaded and colonialised by Europeans.

Under what assumption are you basing the idea that, if it had never been colonised in the 16-19th centuries, Africa would still be where it was 300 years ago today?
    By what standards?
    Civilised standards
    At any one time there exists a number of democracies in Africa, and a few years later you’ll find a completely different number of democracies in Africa.
    And? You found that in Europe 50 years ago (when last dictor in Europe removed? The 70s), and you find it in South America at the moment too.
    So what? Countries meddle with each other, get used to it.
    Get used to it? Is that a joke?

Utter Rubbish.
    accordingly the influence was far less.
    What are you basing that on? Modern Africa was defined by Europeans. It would be like if the British had made up new counties of Ireland.
    Are you comparing our “rather dreadful infrastructure problem” with the plight of sub-Saharan Africa’s problems? Seriously?
    I am saying that government missmanagement of infrastructure and resources isn't localised to black people in Africa.
    Right, and the fact that this was in India and not in Africa was the fault of colonialism, how exactly?
    Did I say it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wicknight wrote:
    Japan was still a country based on warlords and rival tribes in 1800 ... it seemed to do alright without being invaded and colonialised by Europeans.

Eh... What are you talking about? In the 1800's the US came with a very large number of battleships, which were far superior to what the Japanese had, and basically demanded a treaty which favoured the US, or else. Japan was practically invaded and colonialised, and this was what led to it's modernization.

Eh... What are you talking about? In the 1800's the US came with a very large number of battleships, which were far superior to what the Japanese had, and basically demanded a treaty which favoured the US, or else. Japan was practically invaded and colonialised, and this was what led to it's modernization.

Japan was not invaded or colonised ... the Harris Treaty was about allowing US ships to dock and refuel in Japan

- Poor Capital & Technology Accumlation
    - Lack of Social Capital
    - Many African countries aren't actually Nation States. They were just created on an arbitrary basis to suit colonial power. Thus they're not very politically stable.
    - 1st world subsidies to domestic industries and tariffs on imports really restrict African countries from helping themselves.
    - Debt

and a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 im_a_boxa

bess student.

I have to get some vent for all this stuff they're teaching me, it's not like it's going to get me a job or anything.

Now away with you, you're ruining my ricksonesque aura.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Wicknight wrote:
    Japan was not invaded or colonised ... the Harris Treaty was about allowing US ships to dock and refuel in Japan

It wasn't invaded but it was exploited. The Harris Treaty and subsequent "Unequal Treaties" were the catalyst for Japanese modernisation, which I think is the point that was being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Going back to the Africa question, I think there are several reasons why quite a few African states cannot seem to generate economic growth, their economies having either stagnated or even regressed - making them even poorer.

The main reason would be political mismanagement, IMO, along with the twin pillars of corruption and cronyism. An interesting essay on poverty in Africa seems to agree with this viewpoint.

There are other reasons too of course. I don't believe globalisation or IMF/World Bank stipulations have helped many of these countries. Because of a lack of an export industry, some African states cannot enjoy the benefits of globalisation, yet find their local markets inundated with imported goods. Co-operatives established to help rural communities by establishing some sort of fixed price for their produce have effectively been disbanded. This naturally stymies economic growth in these areas and leads to poverty.

The most interesting question though, is whether colonialism is to blame for the current situation or not. I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to comment authoritively in this area, but it seems to me that the answer is "partly". It left in many African states a bitter legacy that seems to be diverting attention away from more immediate issues. A prime example of this would be Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, who consistently blames the UK and the US for many of the problems in his country. example

There is also a school of thought that says that the current aid program is exacerbating the problem by making some African states dependent on Foreign Aid, and that more attention should be focussed on making these states more self-reliant. While this is probably true, at the present time it seems unlikely that this will alleviate the problem, due to the economic mismanagement mentioned earlier.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    South America anyone?
    Whatever problems South America have or have had, there’s frankly no comparison between it and sub-Saharan Africa.
    Didn't Germany go to war with Poland .... :rolleyes:
    I said currently. Anyhow, my point is that ethnic divisions and border issues exist everywhere, and they do cause conflict everywhere. However you cannot use this as an excuse for why sub-Saharan Africa is how it is.
    I never said it did, I said the power vacuums are filled by dictators and those with military power, often who have little regard for
    But that’s not I asked. You seem to be under the misapprehension that because of European colonialism sub-Saharan Africa’s present woes all stem from this. You ignore the despotism that existed prior to Europeans going near sub-Saharan Africa or that it has continued long after we left. If dictators continue to exist there it’s not the fault of the Europeans.
    You assume that Africa, if it has never been colonisied, would just have never developed proper infrastructure? Why exactly?
    No you do. Your assertion is that European colonialism is at the root of sub-Saharan Africa’s woes. That leads one to ask, had European colonialism never taken place in sub-Saharan Africa, would it really be better off, and if not where does that leave your initial assertion?
    Japan’s modernisation was a direct reaction to European encroachment, sparked by Convention of Kanagawa in 1854. So it was actually this threat of colonisation that caused it to adapt and modernize.
    Under what assumption are you basing the idea that, if it had never been colonised in the 16-19th centuries, Africa would still be where it was 300 years ago today?
    There’s no evidence to the contrary.
    Civilised standards
    I asked you by what standards sub-Saharan African countries are civilised and you respond with this circular argument. Again, by what standards sub-Saharan African countries civilised?
    And? You found that in Europe 50 years ago (when last dictor in Europe removed? The 70s), and you find it in South America at the moment too.
    Yet the stability of countries, even in South America, is miles ahead of sub-Saharan Africa. How many civil wars in South America? How many in sub-Saharan Africa?
    Get used to it? Is that a joke?
    No it’s a reality. As much as you’d love the World to hold hands and start singing Cumbia, that’s not going to happen. Diplomatically, economically and, ultimately, militarily countries will meddle with each other, as long as countries exist.
    What are you basing that on? Modern Africa was defined by Europeans. It would be like if the British had made up new counties of Ireland.
    Modern Africa was hardly defined by Europeans. Do you actually think that if they redefined the borders it would change anything?
    I am saying that government missmanagement of infrastructure and resources isn't localised to black people in Africa.
    No one said it was. However sub-Saharan Africa is in a league of it’s own in terms of this mismanagement.
    Did I say it was?
    Then why cite the example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

There's no doubt that corrupt regimes and wars are devastating Africa. Also, a lot of their problems stem from things we've (collectively, rich countries) done.

Take debt - all those post oil-crisis petrodollars were lent to developing countries at very low rates. Then the depression in the west sent interest rates through the roof and kicked off the debt crisis of the eighties. Sure the poor countries were reckless to borrow so much, but the US-owned World Bank shouldn't have thrown money at them. Then, those debts were reorganised and the WB insisted on 'Structural Adjustment Polices'.

On the face of it, these policies impose fiscal restraint, but in reality it leads to things like user fees on education and healthcare. Just the kind of thing a developing county needs to get out of a downward spiral:rolleyes:

In Tanzania, there was a 96% enrollment rate in primary education in 1976. Then it started to cost money to go to school and today the rate is about 57%. And then if any of those 12 year olds want to carry on to secondary school, it costs more than the average annual income to send a child for each year. I don't think my sisters or I would have gone to secondary if it cost each of us E30,000 a year.

As for aid, wealthy countries are giving less in real terms than they did in the 1960s. Back then, then richest 22 countries gave 0.5% of their GDP, today it's about 0.25%.

And then to trade - I had a thread here a few weeks back about ending subsidies to farmers to make things fairer for faraway farmers. Way overdue, IMO.

World Trade Organisation rules are totally in favour of rich countries. Why is that? Because the rich guys get together in a room, sometimes lock the door (seriously) and decide what they want. 148 members and never a single vote. Just 'agreements' (dictats, more like) that are often the result of lobbying by companies. Cambodia went to join the WTO recently and they were told that they could NEVER have export subsidies and needed to bring in 30 year patents. Do as we say, not as we do....

So, why are the majority of Africans poor and unhealthy? As already pointed out, it's not just Africa, but there's no doubt that the sub-saharan Africa is the poorest region on the planet. I think that is the result of a combination of the above leading to the unsurprising conclusion that the world is unfair and in ways, becoming more unfair.

It's promising that these things are getting so much public attention and hopefully the enthusiasm behind campaigns like Make Povery History will grow in the next few years until things really are fairer. There's also a growing number of people getting involved in volunteer work abroad and bringing home experiences and opinions that point out to us just how unfair the world is and how we can change it.

We could debate all day about the relative contributions of all the different factors causing it - but that's a diversion from the most important goal of finding political solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Great post, edanto. Just wanted to add something on the issue of colonialism.

Like Corinthian said, there were plenty of corrupt and vicious leaders in Africa before major colonisation, so it's not all down to empire. But it clearly did have an effect, and not just in terms of leaving behind insanely arbitrary 'national' boundaries, though that's a huge problem in itself.

There's a school of thought which distinguishes between two main types of colonisation - the type that simply leeches all the resources from a colony while keeping the people under the cosh, and the type that involves colonists settling a country in large numbers, investing there and setting up proper political and bureaucratic institutions. Unfortunately Africa was mostly subjected to the first kind (as was Latin America - India arguably got more of the second kind), which tends to leave behind totally a underdeveloped native economy save for plantations and mines, with the bare minimum of physical infrastructure required to get diamonds or cotton to port, and a small elite political class schooled in the fine arts of subjugating the general population and living off the fat of the land. As Wicknight says, it's no coincidence that South Africa is the richest Sub-Saharan African country, since that was where white colonists settled in the greatest numbers and actually tried to build a developed society.

South Africa also points to another important factor in Africa's development - geography. As a fairly temperate country with great access to ocean trading routes, it's unusual in a continent with more than its fair share of arid, tropical and/or landlocked states. The highest natural disease burden on the planet is obviously a huge disincentive for investment and handicap to Africans' own attempts at development (one reason why Africa suffered from the 'leeching' kind of colonisation was that for a long time half of any group of European settlers would be dead within a year, usually from malaria). The soils are not great in Africa, and it didn't benefit from the 'Green Revolution' in the 20th Century as that was mostly based around crops grown in Asia.

Despite all this, the 60s and 70s were overall a period of very high growth in Africa. It all went pear-shaped in the late 1970s and early 1980s with the oil shock, followed closely by the debt crisis, which had a devestating effect on nearly every African country, especially when coupled with massive drops in their major commodity export prices. The 1980s and 1990s were basically lost decades in terms of African development, but they seem to be starting to turn things around now. They've also made massive strides towards democracy in relatively quick time, although it's no less depressing to see Mugabe and Zenawi's antics just because they're the exception to the rule these days.

Whatever problems South America have or have had, there’s frankly no comparison between it and sub-Saharan Africa.
    define "no comparison" ...
    I said currently. Anyhow, my point is that ethnic divisions and border issues exist everywhere, and they do cause conflict everywhere. However you cannot use this as an excuse for why sub-Saharan Africa is how it is.
    "Excuse" ... ? Are we trying to attribute blame here?
    But that’s not I asked. You seem to be under the misapprehension that because of European colonialism sub-Saharan Africa’s present woes all stem from this.
    No, I said it was a factor. Are you saying it wasn't colonisation and its end had no destablising effect on Africa at all?
    You ignore the despotism that existed prior to Europeans going near sub-Saharan Africa or that it has continued long after we left. If dictators continue to exist there it’s not the fault of the Europeans.
    Fault? Again with the blame aspect. It is an issue of cause and effect, not innocent guilty.

Also I really don't understand what you are saying. The rise of dicators in each African country (and each country in general) is based around a uniqe and specific set of circumstances. 300 years ago Europe was riddled with dicators, hell this century we have more than our share. Does that mean Europe also is doomed to repeat over and over a cycle of dicators?
    No you do. Your assertion is that European colonialism is at the root of sub-Saharan Africa’s woes.
    I said it is a serious factor. I was mainly saying that is it is more of a realistic cause than saying black Africans are just undisciplined (lazy too, haven't you heard)
    That leads one to ask, had European colonialism never taken place in sub-Saharan Africa, would it really be better off, and if not where does that leave your initial assertion?
    Define "better off"
    Japan’s modernisation was a direct reaction to European encroachment, sparked by Convention of Kanagawa in 1854. So it was actually this threat of colonisation that caused it to adapt and modernize.
    What ever the reason they did it. Every country that has gone through a process of modernisation has an inital spark that cause this change, including Ireland. There is no reason to believe that black Africans are incapable of this change.
    There’s no evidence to the contrary.
    Or reason to believe in 1800 that Japan would ever become a modern economic power giant in 150 years.
    I asked you by what standards sub-Saharan African countries are civilised and you respond with this circular argument. Again, by what standards sub-Saharan African countries civilised?
    civilised
    adj 1: having a high state of culture and development both social and technological;
    Yet the stability of countries, even in South America, is miles ahead of sub-Saharan Africa. How many civil wars in South America? How many in sub-Saharan Africa?
    How many?
    No it’s a reality. As much as you’d love the World to hold hands and start singing Cumbia, that’s not going to happen. Diplomatically, economically and, ultimately, militarily countries will meddle with each other, as long as countries exist.
    You are right, I changed my mind, it is a good thing ... :rolleyes:
    Modern Africa was hardly defined by Europeans. Do you actually think that if they redefined the borders it would change anything?
    Yes actually, considering the majority of wars in the region are over territory and ethnic tensions.
    Then why cite the example?
    I didn't, the example of India was used to support the idea that an ex-British colony can be doing well only 50 years after the British leave. I was pointing out that the circumstances between India and the majority of African countries is quite different, so comparisions are rather irrelievent and miss-leading.

Wicknight wrote:
    Excuse" ... ? Are we trying to attribute blame here?
    No, you have.
    No, I said it was a factor. Are you saying it wasn't colonisation and its end had no destablising effect on Africa at all?
    Actually that’s not what you said. You’ve not implied that it was a factor, if anything you have consistently implied that it was the core reason for the state of sub-Saharan Africa.
    Fault? Again with the blame aspect. It is an issue of cause and effect, not innocent guilty.
    Then read you own posts, they’re little more than simplistic anti-colonial rhetoric. Seemingly all of Africa’s woes can be traced back to European colonialism according to you - or where have you suggested otherwise here?
    Also I really don't understand what you are saying. The rise of dicators in each African country (and each country in general) is based around a uniqe and specific set of circumstances. 300 years ago Europe was riddled with dicators, hell this century we have more than our share. Does that mean Europe also is doomed to repeat over and over a cycle of dicators?
    Not at all, but neither should we blame it on a third party, which you are doing in sub-Saharan Africa’s case.
    I said it is a serious factor.
    No you didn’t.
    I was mainly saying that is it is more of a realistic cause than saying black Africans are just undisciplined (lazy too, haven't you heard)
    Again, no you didn’t.
    Define "better off"
    More prosperous, with fewer civil and extra-national wars, less corruption, greater education - in short that the various African nations would be if they had modernised.
    What ever the reason they did it.
    This contradicts your claim that Japan “seemed to do alright without being invaded and colonialised by Europeans” - other than the fact that it was indeed invaded and colonial treaty ports were forced upon her, it was precisely because of this that she did “alright” and not because she was left alone.
    Every country that has gone through a process of modernisation has an inital spark that cause this change, including Ireland. There is no reason to believe that black Africans are incapable of this change.
    There is unfortunately one very compelling reason. They haven’t.
    Or reason to believe in 1800 that Japan would ever become a modern economic power giant in 150 years.
    Again there is, in that sub-Saharan Africa is to this day plagued with unstable government and corruption. And the situation is simply not getting markedly any better.
    civilised
    adj 1: having a high state of culture and development both social and technological;
    I’m sorry, but that hardly applies to sub-Saharan Africa.
    How many?
    Well on the civil wars stakes sub-Saharan Africa is a clear winner. Even if we take a snapshot of global conflict today, sub-Saharan Africa looks like the winner, not only on the number of wars but with the most bloody ones too.
    You are right, I changed my mind, it is a good thing ... :rolleyes:
    Give us a shout when you pull your head out of the sand.
    Yes actually, considering the majority of wars in the region are over territory and ethnic tensions.
    Oh, and how do you think they would go about redefining those borders then? :rolleyes:
    I didn't, the example of India was used to support the idea that an ex-British colony can be doing well only 50 years after the British leave. I was pointing out that the circumstances between India and the majority of African countries is quite different, so comparisions are rather irrelievent and miss-leading.
    However this was not your initial point - which, let me remind you, was Africa’s woes can be blamed on colonialism. So if another country can go through colonialism and come out at the other side (with it’s ups and downs, in fairness) without being a banana republic, and another cannot - is it really the White guy’s fault?

Sigh ... its really too late to get into an argument with TC that will probably last 10 pages till Amp closes the thread.

Ok, TC .. if it wasn't anything to do with colonial expansion in Africa, if that had no effect at all on modern Africa, what is it then?

Are black people just not capable of running modern socieities?

Is there something genetic, cultural, or enviornmental about sub-Saharan Africans that means they are just crap at running governments? Maybe they are just lazy ... Maybe its the food ...

Wicknight wrote:
    Sigh ... its really too late to get into an argument with TC that will probably last 10 pages till Amp closes the thread.
    You mean that you’ve been caught out as arguing something you couldn’t defend and would prefer to leave the discussion than admit it.
    Ok, TC .. if it wasn't anything to do with colonial expansion in Africa, if that had no effect at all on modern Africa, what is it then?
    I never said that colonial expansion in Africa had nothing to do with it - all I did was reject your notion that colonial expansion in Africa had everything to do with it.

Had you actually suggested that it was only a factor originally, I would have said nothing, but you didn’t try to backtrack there until much later in the discussion.

The myth that Africa’s plight is solely the responsibility of the Europe (or by extension the Western World) is as assumptive as that which argues that it is a genetic issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

swiss wrote:
    The most interesting question though, is whether colonialism is to blame for the current situation or not.
    I think it explains a lot, but I think people have to shift perspectives away from looking at colonialism as one, limited, historical period, and to see how the logic of it has continued, and has produced syndromes across the continent.

Here's my take on it...

Africa's problems emerged when Western powers decided to begin incorporating the continent into their economic systems. Largely, the Western powers decided that Africa actually had a problem in the first place - that they were "savages" (a word common for the time).

By and large, then, Africa's problems have flowed from its unequal incorporation into the global system through a variety of closely related causes, which occurred in three main phases: the Atlantic slave trade (the Pacific slave trade to a lesser extent), colonisation, and globalisation.

Africa's difficulties began with the slave trade because it ripped apart indigenous political and social structures, setting in motion processes that contributed to violent tribalism. As Africa was plundered for its human wealth, and societies in West africa decimated, slave-traders cut deals with indigenous and highly developed African governments and other leaders. The slave traders armed Africans and got them to kidnap their own people. Gradually, Africans became suspicious of state institutions and broke into smaller units to protect each other, contributing to a sense of suspicion and fear between groups and nations.

The Atlantic trade route was the beginning of globalisation as it linked trade between Europe, Africa and the Americas. European ships travelled to Africa bringing textiles, alcohol, weapons and other luxuries to small European ports and to tribal rulers; the 'Middle Passage' carried slaves across to America to work on the plantations; and finally, ships carried the products of slavery to Europe - tea, sugar, coffee, tobacco, rice, cotton etc.

When colonialism acceletated in the mid-19th century, its processes - directed by the colonial powers - further weakened the relationship between state and society but in altered form. Now the Great Powers exploited Africa for its mineral wealth and wanted to keep Africans there to extract the continent's wealth to export to Europe. Some colonisers, like Belgium and Germany, went about exterminating their subject populations, the Brits and French preferred indirect rule. Throughout the slave trade, African elites began appropriating European affectations as an attempt to adapt to what was going on - this produced a dual identity for many: not Western, not not fully African/Bantu/Congolese etc.

The colonisers realised this and began 'inventing African traditions' in an attempt to make elite classes of African subjects loyal to their new state structures. These would include things like militarisation, oaths of allegiance, African ceremonies etc. The British particularly, exercised indirect rule to maintain their power over their territories. Most importantly, they 'invented' tribes in order to do this. Prior to Western interference, 'tribes' as we know them today didn't exist. Social relations were more fluid, ethnic boundaries more diffuse, many nations had advanced governance structures, many were very democratic and some matriarchal. The colonisers rigidified these tribal identites - which were, by then, really these smaller units of people who had been broken by the slave trade. The incorporation of some tribes into positions of influence, power and wealth and exclusion of others caused these groups to become economic competitors and it allowed a syndrome to develop whereby political legitimacy existed below the state and patrimonial (what we now call 'corrupt') state-society relations developed.

There were also two other methods of incorporation that the colonists used: education and the military, but this varied depending on the colonizer. Educational systems – really only open to the elite tribes – were geared towards creating a black African administrative class, but not how to think for themselves. So it had the dual effect of strengthening the hold of elite tribes over the state post-decolonisation and and has undermined Africans’ capacity to develop themselves only in the sense that after decolonization, curricula have remained the same and access to higher education has remained limited. The use of the military to create African loyalty, particularly by the British, has, obviously, led to militaristic cultures across the continent.

These have strengthened these ‘corrupt’ relations and inter-cultural/inter-class conflict.

All of this continued during the Cold War. While nominally independent, Western powers still exploited Africa's mineral wealth and undermined their development. For example, after Belgium formally decolonised Congo, having massacred and worked to death millions and millions, they made sure to dominate the country economically and politically. They also, in cahoots with the CIA, engineered the assassination of their first president, Patrice Lumumba and made sure that Congo remained as underdeveloped as they did during colonial times.

Anyway, when you begin to look at the political and cultural impediments to development in Africa, as many in the thread have already mentioned, there are probably three main reasons. First, state illegitimacy: as some have said, the territorial units that were arbitrarily drawn up during colonialism and decolonization are not universally accepted and are, often seen as porous (the war in Democratic Republic of the Congo is an example of this); also, because political power exists primarily below the state, governments aren’t seen as the legitimate reflection of popular power – in many countries, this power complex is known as the ‘shadow state’, but it’s often interpenetrated with official state structures. Secondly, weak civil societies: African politics lack a strong social contract between governments and the people, and political relations between competing groups within society is also problematic and sometimes violent. Thirdly, states lack resources to do their job: the state’s role to provide welfare and other things is constantly undermined by a lack of financial resources and human resources and lack of expertise.

The logics of this have been reproduced throughout Africa under globalisation, the third phase. Throughout the 1980s until the present, Africa has been further incorporated into a Western-led global system. It's just that, once again, they way it's gone about looks different, and in some ways it is, but the core logic is nearly identical.

Europe continues to fuel corruption in Africa as our TNCs bribe officials left right and centre to appropriate Africans' resources. This is legalised through Western-dominated institutions like the WTO and resistence by Africans is contained by the IMF, World Bank, Western governments, the military, TNCs etc. It suits the West to have a weak Africa because it enables them to continue to create global rules - or not because they can to it anyway - that allows European companies - not states this time - to recolonise Africa under the guise of 'economic liberalisation'. But, it's important to notice that neo-colonialist power isn't direct power, so a lot of it is also invisible. For example, Ghanaian chicken farmers are currently challenging the government to implement its right to raise tariffs permitted under the WTO on subsidised EU chicken imports which are destroying domestic industry; but the IMF says no and, while the government initially passed the tariff increase into law, the government reneged - they did this partly due to IMF pressure, also due to the fact that many members of the ruling political party themselves import the European chicken.

It suits the West to have a weak Africa because its still very important as a primary comodity exporter.

Crap, it's late, sorry for the long boring, rambling post. I'll clean it up in the morning, and there's lots more I want to say!!!

DadaKopf wrote:
    I think it explains a lot, but I think people have to shift perspectives away from looking at colonialism as one, limited, historical period, and to see how the logic of it has continued, and has produced syndromes across the continent.
    Ahhh... the red flag is finally raised on the argument.
    Africa's problems emerged when Western powers decided to begin incorporating the continent into their economic systems.
    You mean began trading. Cultures should never do that, I suppose.
    Africa's difficulties began with the slave trade because it ripped apart indigenous political and social structures, setting in motion processes that contributed to violent tribalism.
    Because violent tribalism and slavery did not thrive long before this in Africa.
    As Africa was plundered for its human wealth, and societies in West africa decimated, slave-traders cut deals with indigenous and highly developed African governments and other leaders. The slave traders armed Africans and got them to kidnap their own people. Gradually, Africans became suspicious of state institutions and broke into smaller units to protect each other, contributing to a sense of suspicion and fear between groups and nations.
    Do you have any credible evidence (and by that I mean recognised outside of Afro-centric academia) to support this notion?
    Some colonisers, like Belgium and Germany, went about exterminating their subject populations, the Brits and French preferred indirect rule. Throughout the slave trade, African elites began appropriating European affectations as an attempt to adapt to what was going on - this produced a dual identity for many: not Western, not not fully African/Bantu/Congolese etc.
    All things that occurred in other parts of the World, but without the same effect. Funny that.
    The colonisers realised this and began 'inventing African traditions' in an attempt to make elite classes of African subjects loyal to their new state structures. These would include things like militarisation, oaths of allegiance, African ceremonies etc.
    Again, all things that occurred in other parts of the World, but without the same effect.
    Prior to Western interference, 'tribes' as we know them today didn't exist. Social relations were more fluid, ethnic boundaries more diffuse, many nations had advanced governance structures, many were very democratic and some matriarchal.
    That’s a rather sweeping sociological statement to describe an entire continent. Would you happen to have supporting evidence for this or is it just more fancy?
    Crap, it's late, sorry for the long boring, rambling post. I'll clean it up in the morning, and there's lots more I want to say!!!
    Look, I’ll not bother with the rest of that post for now, but if you manage to support the first part of that tin foil hat theory, I’ll happily question the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Of course Colonialism had a part to play, a pretty big partat that but why is it in such a mess?
    Is it all the White mans fault?

I say no, but then im just a Racist:rolleyes:

Advertisement