Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(yet another) mac newbie

• 11-11-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I've had enough of Windows - I'm making the move to Mac :D

I was thinking of getting a mac mini with these specs:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Superdrive

All I want to use it for is some video/photo editing & browsing the net but I do need reliability (ie not XP home) & the ability to burn DVD's.
    I'm moving from an AMD64 3200+ with a gig of ram and a 250GB harddrive - can I upgrade the mac mini to something similar ram wise? I was thinking of adding an external usb harddrive to bump up the storage space.

Help & suggestions gratefully received - I've spent the past 2 days reinstalling XP & lost everything I hadn't backed up this week. I hate Windows!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You'll definately notice a difference in performance between the 3200+ and the 1.42GHz I think, (the Mac trailing behind) but the hard drive (5400rpm) on the Mac will be the main bottleneck. You'll want to upgrade the Mac to 1Gb or RAM to increase your performance close to what your PC was.

Advertisement