Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet BB, good or crap?

• 11-11-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have just signed up for magnet BB, it has a free month connection and free installation so if its crap i can just send it back, anyway its a 2mb connection and a 25G cap, only thing is that its through the dish like IBB there not going to be able to avail of a phone line BB till june next yr some time well that is only my local exchange anyway.

Its only a 6month contract as well.

So has anyone here used them? Any good or bad stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

For your info Magnet took over Leap Broadband a few months ago.

I know a few people using them - on average OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Can you give more info on that Paddyo? Why only OK? What are their pings like... are download/upload speeds good?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I use it and i love it, 4 meg all the time and good pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

Can u tell me more? Do u need a line of site? Is their phone service VoIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

If you are lucky enough to have a fibre optic connection into your home then you get 4MB up and down, 100GB limit 50 tv channels and A voip phone.

If you have an unbundled phoneline then you can get basically the same package but reduced upload to 512 Kb.

these packages cost round 80 euro and that price includes line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

so is their broadband cable like ntl or is it over the phonelines?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet can do ADSL (central Dublin) OR Fibre (Dublin and Portlaoise areas in new developments) OR Wireless (Dub Cork Limerick Galway ) .

Magnet Wireless, formerly known as www.leap.ie , is the longest established and most reputable wireless operator in the country bar none . You never really hear complaints about them because unlike IBB they know what they are doing.

There may even be a few areas of central Dublin where Magnet could supply you with all three types of their BB in a new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Well i've posted the forms today and signed up for the step up deal that magnet have, will let you all know what its like when i have it installed and working

Well i said id get back and let you all know the script with magnet BB, well i ordered the BB and then the crap started, i had BB with BT earlier in the year and eircom(sh*tcom) wouldn;t remove it, it took about 6 wks for them to have the port freed once this was done tho it took the courier longer to deleiver the router, then for them to have the line hooked-up, and get this i called the customer care to find out what the story was about the 25G cap and where i could check what i've run up this month and he told me that for the next few months there not checking !! happy days, then i asked him how much if i go over the cap and it works out at 50cent per gig thats nothing eircom and bt charge 3cent per mb needless to say a very happy customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Magnet Wireless, formerly known as www.leap.ie , is the longest established and most reputable wireless operator in the country bar none . You never really hear complaints about them because unlike IBB they know what they are doing.

We had leap at work to connect two sites and the service was dropping every day - so not so good. Have to say though that I don't think it helps to have to connect wirelessly from north west dublin to three rock and back again.

• Advertisement

I have been signed up for magnet broadband for the past few weeks and due to the eircom unbundling ive had to wait till this week, Magnet called me and said to watch for my phone line going dead this week. So that when it goes dead, ive to call them and let them know, then the next day or two they will install my modem tv box and phone.

Im getting the Advantage Package to start as the first month is free.

:) Happy Days! :)

Just thought id give you all a top up of my BB speeds, this was taken at 1.52 in the morning

happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Had a look at magnet.ie today and checked availability. Magnet Entertainment (their TV, BB, Phone bundle) will be available here in 14 months, but I can get 2 Mb BB with them now. Currently on BT/IOL 2Mb. The bandwidth cap with magnet is much bigger. My dad says BT costs about €90 a month with the amount of crap we download, and Magnet is €30 before extra traffic costs (5c a Gig, I think).

Now the only question I have is "what's the service like?" So far I've only heard good things but I'd still like to hear any feedback from anyone kind enough to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Liffeyman

familyguy wrote:
    Had a look at magnet.ie today and checked availability. Magnet Entertainment (their TV, BB, Phone bundle) will be available here in 14 months, but I can get 2 Mb BB with them now. Currently on BT/IOL 2Mb. The bandwidth cap with magnet is much bigger. My dad says BT costs about €90 a month with the amount of crap we download, and Magnet is €30 before extra traffic costs (5c a Gig, I think).

Now the only question I have is "what's the service like?" So far I've only heard good things but I'd still like to hear any feedback from anyone kind enough to give it.

Its 50c a G, my 2 cents is that the service is great only problem i had was getting eircom to free up my port in the exchange after i finished up with BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Magnet can do ADSL (central Dublin)
    its in the suburbs as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Got Magnet last week. More than happy. The deliver what they promise.. and a little more.

Magnet - 2Mbit.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 23026 Kbps about 23 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 2811 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)
    Test Time:: Fri Feb 17 07:31:00 UTC 2006
    Bottom Line:: 411X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.36 sec
    Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 87.87 % of your hosts average (magnet.ie)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-J2TY45IMZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

cutepape wrote:
    Got Magnet last week. More than happy. The deliver what they promise.. and a little more.

Magnet - 2Mbit.

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 87.87 % of your hosts average (magnet.ie)

location ?

Clontarf

cutepape wrote:
    Clontarf

did your line show up suitable on the eircom site? I'm failing the eircom line test but passing the MAgnet !! strange !!

Are they bluffing do you think? I'm on the Blanch Exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote:
    did your line show up suitable on the eircom site? I'm failing the eircom line test but passing the MAgnet !! strange !!

Are they bluffing do you think? I'm on the Blanch Exchange.

They use ADSL2+ so an Eircon fail != Magnet fail.

• Advertisement

I have gotten my magnet broadband plus my tv box and phone.

Ive had it 3 weeks now.

So far....

The broadband is great. Super ping average 50ms to uk server, and download is actually faster than they claim, i get over 4Mbps.

The phone is free calls to all landline numbers, ppl im calling had an echo on there side once or twice, but it may be just them.

The TV service is still in its early days, The quality is fine apart from the rare burp. the menu's needs to be upgraded, and ive heard that they are doin that in the next few weeks.

The best thing by far is the customer service, I get to speak to the same reprisentative each time i call. they are very helpfull, there are different departments for each service.

Overall number of stars between 1-5.

Broadband *****
    TV ***
    Phone ****
    Service *****

Over-all ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

cutepape wrote:

Magnet - 2Mbit.

This speedtest is seriously flawed as 23 Mbps isnt even possible with ADSL2+.
    You have either got FTTH or the speedtest was using your HDD buffer!

paulm17781 wrote:
    They use ADSL2+ so an Eircon fail != Magnet fail.

are you sure ADSL 2 passes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote:
    are you sure ADSL 2 passes?

It has a longer reach and won't be subject to the 'dial-up' revenue protection that Eircon is. If they say you can get it, ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nopz

I have Magnet, but only connected thru eircom yet, will be connected in start or march, but the line at the moment is very fast.
    ADSL 2+ can deliver 24Mbits, 2 years ago i lived in sweden and hat it for only 60Euro a month

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bbuser

zuma wrote:
    This speedtest is seriously flawed as 23 Mbps isnt even possible with ADSL2+.
    You have either got FTTH or the speedtest was using your HDD buffer!

yeah i find this one accurate
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

the one u tried is not correct in anyway, i also get flawed results

Actually 24Mbit is possible.

My speeds are down now. But I know why it was so high. Because I didnt have a cap on my line untill a few days ago. They wanted to see what it could handle before they put the cap on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

does anyone know what the limit is for magnet? im talking about the distance limit from the exchange. eircoms reaches 5km at my exchange so how much further can magnet get?

i can either get magnet or metro.

the thing is my parents want to keep our number so that would mean we would have to get a new line costing €120 and paying €52 euro a month for magnet

or else paying €99 for instation for metro and €42 a month

which is better?

edit: why do magnet charge €24 line rental if its a voip system? is it just a way of generating profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

cutepape wrote:
    They wanted to see what it could handle

I'm signed up for 3M/512 (+ TV + phone) for the first week I was getting 4M/1024,
    but now it's dropped to 2.7/512.

On the first day they could tell me that my line was only capable of 6.3M,
    this sounds like loads to spare until you factor in the TV stream.
    They told e they would have preferred 8M for that (i.e 3 for Internet & 5 for TV I presume)

The TV and Internet are supposed to be seperate, however if there is a shortage the TV eats into the Internet bandwidth.

What I find with the TV box on is that my download drops to about 1M.

I suppose I can't blame Magnet for the quality of the copper that Telecom Eireann ran between Dolphins barn & Inchicore many years ago.

Incidentally during the first week (when I presume thery were testing my line) the download of 4M would drop to about 2.5M

With this setup if I were to try downloading or running a speedtest the TV picture broke up.

Now even though I've only got 1M download the TV is fine during download / speedtesting.

Have to assume that during initial testing it was a free for all, now QoS settings are giving TV priority.

{just got call from Magnet, they will try to fine tune connection to give more BB, hopefully without messing up the TV}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

paulm17781 wrote:
    It has a longer reach and won't be subject to the 'dial-up' revenue protection that Eircon is. If they say you can get it, ask them.

I know this is a bit old now, but the LLU guys normally don't test the line, they go by the exchange being enabled or not. I know Smart tries to deliver service to everyone, regardless of what Eircom says about the line quality. It's kinda dumb that eircom doesn't do the same. I'm sure Magnet might do the same, but you're obviously not gonna get IPTV if you're far from the exchange. If you need 6Mbps I'm sure that's tops 2km's, if that.

ADSL2+ has only marginally better range (maybe another 800m?) from what I recall, but can deliver better speeds within the range.

Advertisement