Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet BB, good or crap?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Blaster99 wrote:
    I know this is a bit old now, but the LLU guys normally don't test the line,<snip>.

I didn't realise that. I think OP was asking about just BB anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

These posts have been very useful to me re magnet. I got connected up on Thursday. It all seems to be running quite smoothly. Telly picture is better than my ntl one, the new connectors have done something funny to my land line ring tone but otherwise its fine. My bb speeds vary. I was getting nearly 3mbps at first but connection speed has fallen to 0.9mbps 15% the average magnet so the speedtest tells me). Has anyone else got speeds like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

irishisptest doesn't seem to work properly for magnet.
    It can show my download varying from .5 to 4 mbps.
    Actually downloading a file from heanet it appears to start downloading (burst?) at 10mbps then progressively fallback to about 3mbps.
    (I'm on a 3/512 package)

the upload confirmed by uploading to a blacknight site as wwll as by the speed test is a pretty constant .5mbps

Funny it always worked for testing IBB, but then zero is zero no matter how you measure it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm seriously not getting this. Cormac_byrne, what package are u on? I didn't see a 3mb/512k package on the magnet site
    I'm with magnet lite which is "up to" 4Mb download with 512kb upload.
    Test wise I get 1.7mb down and 400kb up from http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php
    Ping to boards will give me an average of 50ms which is Sh1te. I get way better with a 2 meg eircom line.

On this site http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
    I get 702k down, with 174k up.

www.testmy.net/

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 565 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 69 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (main)
    Test Time:: Mon Feb 27 2006 21:32:12 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
    Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB download in 14.84 sec
    Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 13.01 % of your hosts average (magnet.ie)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-IJXLCAG3W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Sniipe wrote:
    I'm seriously not getting this. Cormac_byrne, what package are u on? I didn't see a 3mb/512k package on the magnet site

Magnet used to offer 2Mb,3Mb,4MB,8Mb,24MB packages with 6/30/60 tv channels and with or without the free local national calls bundle. All LLU unbundled & line rental included in price. Also there was a 2Mb broadband only unbundled option (i.e. still pay line rental to eircom)

They say this was too complicated and opted for simpler 4Mb/8Mb 30 TV channels + free calls. Also chose to separate out the line rental cost.

I'm on the old 3Mb package (512 up), think it was a bit slower last night, but didn't have time to go messing about with tests, maybe it not as uncontended as they say, or maybe that's not fair as the internet is not a constant.

My upload has been a constant 500kbps. your 400 is a fair bit lower than that. I would think upload is less subject to contention / congestion, therefore would think maybe it's the line quality. I'm in Inchicore connected to Dolphins Barn exchange. Do you have a longer run? Of course no telling how many joins in the eircom local loop cable run!

Of course if you've gotten a better signal before from a different ADSL provider then can't be the local loop wiring.

Magnet have admitted the TV can eat into your broadband download if the line is bad. try testing with tv box off.

Also double check house wiring, preferably just master socket connected to modem, no other wiring (i.e. disconnect any extension sockets which are useless anyway as Magnet is VoIP)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nopz

Hi
    What make and model is the tv box from magnet, looking on 2wire homepage they have some pretty cool models is it any of them?

Michaael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

nopz, I don't know about the TV box...

Cormac, I'm in inchicore aswell, O'leary road. I do have an extension, its a balls. I will get rid of the other 2 extensions, but I really doubt this is the problem. Can you test your line www.irishisptest.com see what upload/download u get? Cheers.

Advertisement