Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers v Waterford

• 11-11-2005 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

Probably by far the biggest EL match of the week in terms of significance you need only look at the league table to find out why
     Eircom League Premier Division Table, Bottom Four

UCD          31   7  11  13  26  41  32
     Waterford U  31   7   7  17  27  48  28
     Shamrock R   31   9   7  15  30  48  26
     Finn Harps   31   5   6  20  28  45  21

Finn Harps could be offically down by the end of the week, though they're all but down anyway. So it's the play off spot for second last to avoid for both teams, and it looks like UCD have sadly done enough bar a miracle. So it's down to two teams for one spot and a tricky play off game (For Roddy Collins, the possibility of loseing his premier status to Dublin City will be amusingly hard to swallow for him). Two points seperate Rovers from Waterford, but they play tonight and Rovers have home advantage.

Their final day fixtures are, for Rovers, UCD in Belfield and for Waterford, Drogheda at home. Both very tough fixtures, so to have the advantage going into the final day would be a massive plus for whichever side gets it, obviously.

Of course, whoever loses out and finishes second last will still be favourites to win the play off over two legs, but it's not something they'd want hanging over their season.

Come on Waterford :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I think it would be a shame if Rovers did go down TBH.. that and i hate Waterford.. the rsc is the worst ground in the country by a country mile, it's always raining AND we dropped four points down there this season....

COME ON ROVERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You're not wrong about the RSC, a disgrace to the league, but I'd just love to see Roddy Collins go down as much as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If Waterford win tonight, Rovers cannot finish higher than 2nd last! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Agreed, RSC is the worst ground in the country.

I hope Rovers do the business here. Much as I dont like them, they are still an 'attraction' to the premier division and bring more to it than Waterford do at the moment.

I think this will be a draw though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Based on form I cant see us doing anything especially with 5 players out but you never know.

Dont honestly know how the RSC is the worst ground in the country. Worst pitch maybe but the stand is one of the best around. Dont suppose anyone has been to rathbane? Now that is the worst ground ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

speriamo wrote:
    Dont honestly know how the RSC is the worst ground in the country. Worst pitch maybe but the stand is one of the best around. .

You being serious? you sit in the far right or left row and you cant see the goal because of those stupid windows and those stupid blue bars..

Roar wrote:
    You being serious? you sit in the far right or left row and you cant see the goal because of those stupid windows and those stupid blue bars..

You are taking an extreme example. Same could be said for sitting behind a pole in the jodi. Overall the stand is one of the best in the league and they have a bar underneath!

It is not one of the best in the league. The view is obstructed from two sides to the point where you simply cannot sit there and it is small too. The stadium is a hole not fit for even EL football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

well im hopeing for a great game with a victory for waterford and then keeping the up for this season

im predicting a 2-1 win to waterford

Pity i cant go but you be sure i will be listening on WLR

GO ON THE BLUES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Fingers crossed for the Blues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

1-0 to the mighty rovers last i heard!! cmon da hoops

koh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hard to choose who ya want to go down more from a neutrals perspective. ..

Waterford cause they have possibly the worst stadium in the EL

or Rovers, cause they have Roddy Collins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

1-1, 1-2 now, waters with the second.

GO ON THE BLUES

1-2 2 GOALS IN 5 MINS!!
    they came back very well well done lads

I think that finn harps will win rovers in the playoff;)

Hard to choose who ya want to go down more from a neutrals perspective. ..

or Rovers, cause they have Roddy Collins....

LOL HEHEHEHEHE

5 minutes left go on the blues

Anyone know where i can get the highlights??

I would prefur a link
    not a download

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:D Waterford Are Still In Go On The Blues:D

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

pp_me129 wrote:
    I think that finn harps will win rovers in the playoff;)

Are you serious? Did you honestly think the play-off is between the bottom two? You're a fan of Waterford and you don't even know the rules regarding the play-off, which they could have been in.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great win for Waterford, just saw the goals on Sports Tonight. Scrappy but they all count!

Rovers-Cobh/DCFC/Limerick now. Do Rovers fans think they can do it? I'm not too sure at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Great stuff, 2 goals 5 mins, would have been great to have been there. Go on de Deise!!!!!:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looked on the TV like the fans and players were ecstatic at full-time (totally understandable). Did anyone else see the highlights on Sports Tonight? How cool did the fireworks look at the start. It looked like old-skool Serie A!

Also of note were Roddy "I've never been relegated" Collins pessimistic (as always) comments on how long it will take Rovers to come back when they go down. Five years was the figure I think he mentioned. Does this guy take mind games to a whole new level or is he genuinely this downbeat and is the glass always half empty?

This is a disasterous result for Irish football, though Rovers will not go down in the play-off. The division between the teams is too huge.

Looks like Pat Dolan is €40k richer.

Yes lol

Does anyone know where i can get the highlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    This is a disasterous result for Irish football, though Rovers will not go down in the play-off. The division between the teams is too huge.

How?

kdjac

How? Well, Waterford are a poor team who will only ever strive to mediocrity, they have no fans, and even if they do have a bit of success, they still wont have any fans, as was proved last season for the FAI cup final when they didnt even bring 3000 fans.

Shams at least have fans, and once into Tallaght will go forward again. Waterford will never go on, will always be the ptitful mess thye are now.

Fans are fickle , 2 seasons ago when Waterford when doing alright crowds of 4k were normal, similiar to yourselves pre Dolan. Rovers could do with a season or 2 in the 1st division just to sort themselves out, then we see how fickle their fans are. All well and good supporting Rovers with added bonus of fun after the match but when they a 1st divison club well see how they fare.

All fans when their team is **** are fickle, cmon Cobh ;)

kdjac

I seriously doubt Waterford ever had those kind of crowds Kdjac, but fair point about Rovers going down to sort themselves out, it would probably be the best thing for them, plus Roddys puss would be priceless.

One thing though, would you prefer CHF to come back up, or Shams to stay up? Ideally Cobh will do the job, secure the playoff spot, and beat Shams, but the loss to CHF last week could have taken the wind form their sails.

Still prefer if it was Wafor in the playoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be more serious for a moment does the escape by the Blues mean Dolan will become full time manager (asuming he's interested?).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gimmick wrote:
    I seriously doubt Waterford ever had those kind of crowds Kdjac

Clearly you klnow little or nothing of Waterford FC or United as they are these days. I'm not a fan but I'm close enough to the RSC (Cherymount) to have heard them above the sound of the TV a few times in recent years.

Mike.

Cobh to come up ,your new roomates if Genisis ground share idea comes off:o

Check the foot.ie thread for attd, when they were doing well they had about 4k at some games. When we played them in the cup a few years ago they had a good crowd which suggests they have the fans but unless they winning **** they wont be there. Also being one of the All time biggest clubs in ireland helps. Would prefer them then any Dublin team in the league, i recall in the 80s playing them they used to bring a lot of fans to richer and wreck it but still they brought a lot of fans :D

Dolan will be director of Football or manager with other guy coach, no way they let him go and he dying to stick one up lennoxs arse ;)

kdjac

APPARENTLY he told some City fans last week he is not staying on at Waterford, that he is only there for the short term. Now that he is €40k richer, he will probably feck off again.

For Waterfords sake, I hope he doesnt stay there. He will run the club intot he ground.

gimmick wrote:
    APPARENTLY he told some City fans last week he is not staying on at Waterford, that he is only there for the short term. Now that he is €40k richer, he will probably feck off again.

For Waterfords sake, I hope he doesnt stay there. He will run the club intot he ground.

Well see, if Cork win the league, Dolan as the man who built the team with his bare hands will come back after such a successful season. If they don't, Rico, the man who built the team, will be sacked and Dolan, the man who would change it completley and re-mould it in his image, will come in and save the day. His hearts still at Cork you see.

As for Rovers, they're in danger of being relegated, not killed off. It didn't do Shels any harm long term to go down, Rovers will still get Tallaght and will come up probably at the first time of asking in the unlikely event they go down. It is far from a disaterous result for Irish football, it's a disasterous result for Roddy Collins, which is why I can't stop laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

did anybody see the game?
    roddy is a joker he got the early goal and tried to sit on it 2nd half played a 5-4-1 which was just plane silly, lee roache had a bad game he should have been subbed he wasn't getting stuck in, so him as the one striker seemed pointless. waterford were pretty poor in the 1st half but attacked the game in the 2nd, there was a lot of diving and possible hand balls and on anothe night the ref would have been booking soe wufc players instead of putting them on his score card. the 2nd goal was a blatent dive but the defending was terrible for the free, although gavin mcdonnell slipped letting in the shot past murphy.

KdjaC you must never have been to a rovers game by far the best supported club in dublin and fo the past 10 years we've been on of the strugglers in dublin so seriously (with all due respect) the statmen you made about rovers fans parting ways IF he club went down is nonsence plain and simple. we've seen time and time again the there are fans who only sing when they're winning (w/ford last night) but rovers could never be accused of that, when we conceeded on bothoccasion as the game was restarting we were singing "we are the SR, the SRFC".

all in all the only team equatible to rvers in regard to fans is cork, for colour and volume, had we our own stadium we'd be silly richwith all the gate reciepts flowing in

well bring on the play offs, as sad as it makes me to say it.

ps. rovers hate roddy more than most of you lot, he stated 4 weeks ago when we were on a roll and putting daylight between us and wufc that he'd settle for the play-offs, he has no drive and ambition outside of lining his pocket, if we sack him its 90k (i found out for a club official last night) we need to "compensate" him with. the reason he was given the job was he seems to attract decent players and nutsey turned us down

blu_sonic wrote:
    nutsey turned us down

Seriously!? Why not try approaching Mourinho ffs

• Advertisement

laugh all you want he said he would have had he been given a garentee tallaght would be finished by next season, they couldn't give him that wish, he said he wanted the job otherwise

I'm sure he did. With Tallaght gaurenteed now, how do you think Nutsys Rovers will do in the play offs?

well seeing as it would cost rovers 90k to out roddy i think mr fenlon will be a fixture at tolka for atleast another season

KdjaC you must never have been to a rovers game by far the best supported club in dublin and fo the past 10 years we've been on of the strugglers in dublin so seriously (with all due respect) the statmen you made about rovers fans parting ways IF he club went down is nonsence plain and simple. we've seen time and time again the there are fans who only sing when they're winning (w/ford last night) but rovers could never be accused of that, when we conceeded on bothoccasion as the game was restarting we were singing "we are the SR, the SRFC".

I have seen 22k at a Rovers game in the RDS and 400 at a Rovers game in Richmond, this season your fans in the grounds are the only reason you should stay up, but when your omg im going to say this "your small minority " are provoked and cause **** outside the ground its takes away from what happened inside. Last week vs pats the Rovers fans were amazing but then fcuked a table down the dressing room stairs and slashed seats in pubs and tried to start fights with kids at a bus stop.

www.foot.ie every week a post about what Rovers fans did the night before, every week a rovers fans defending them and blaming everyone but themselves. So your far from the best supported for 10 years, ever been to Santry? When we played you out there lucky to have 300 fans.

kdjac

santry is some distance for many fans we'll be there next year and i've no car and depend on public transport thats 2 buses to get there from crumlin. but i'll be there. what are you talking about the post match fighting for that isn't the issue being decussed and ofcourse the choir boys that are pats fans did nothing to be part of the ructions, its getting old you harping on about it, every dublin team has a cashie support youhave at pats and yours rivals rovers so start a new thred for fighting this was descussing the match and evloved into how wolud attendence be effected IF rovers drop

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    d
    best supported club in dublin and fo the past 10 years we've been on of the strugglers in dublin so seriously (with all due respect) the statmen you made about rovers fans parting ways IF he club went down is nonsence plain and simple.
    all in all the only team equatible to rvers in regard to fans is cork, for colour and volume, had we our own stadium we'd be silly richwith all the gate reciepts flowing in
    it.
    n
    so start a new thred for fighting this was descussing the match and evloved into how wolud attendence be effected IF rovers drop

Ehh yeah by you :confused:

I was talking about Waterford in the previous posts not Rovers, you mentioned rovers and angelic smiles and sweetness.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Fans are fickle , 2 seasons ago when Waterford when doing alright crowds of 4k were normal, similiar to yourselves pre Dolan. Rovers could do with a season or 2 in the 1st division just to sort themselves out, then we see how fickle their fans are. All well and good supporting Rovers with added bonus of fun after the match but when they a 1st divison club well see how they fare.

All fans when their team is **** are fickle, cmon Cobh ;)

kdjac

did you not post this 4 post prior to my 1st post in this topic? you obviously have a bias against the club, so whats the point in this my post was after your post lark, you posted that rovers attendance would dwindle should the drop i replied stating you know nothing about shamrock rovers

1st line "Fans are fickle" we used to get 5 or 6k in richmond, Shels used to get 5 or 600 in tolka. If you go down you wont get anywhere near the 1500 your getting now. So in general "Fans are fickle"... ba dum tish.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    ba dum tish.

whats that mean?

rovers fans have more fans then pats and shels had nortoriously poor support prior to winning the league, rovers have maintained a strong support for years since the revival of the isish game anyway, no club are going back to the 20/30k fans days, anyone who thinks that they could get those attendance week in week ot would be insaine, all im saying is for a club who hasn't had a stadium in 15 years it's a credit to the fans that they have maintained the huge suppport that we have, we are the most well supported dublin club its just a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Your support means noting !
    Dundalk Fc can get crowds of easily 1500 to a big 1st division game and 4500 to a cup game .. BIG deal ...

Supporters dont manage / play the game . Your team does as i have found out the hard way last couple of years ...

Does anyone know where i can get highlights of this match??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaC wrote:
    Would prefer them then any Dublin team in the league, i recall in the 80s playing them they used to bring a lot of fans to richer and wreck it but still they brought a lot of fans :D

Jaysus, I thought you'd done a good enough job of wrecking the place yourselves. Didn't know you needed the help...;)

it is in bits that is true, but they'll blame the rovers supporters for it. i have to disagree sarge although the fans aren't pro-active as such they can impose themselves on the opposition even playing in the phoenix park hearing the players/friends of the team your playing gtting on your back has an effect. plus we've the 400 club running rovers

KdjaC wrote:
    I have seen 22k at a Rovers game in the RDS and 400 at a Rovers game in Richmond, this season your fans in the grounds are the only reason you should stay up, but when your omg im going to say this "your small minority " are provoked and cause **** outside the ground its takes away from what happened inside. Last week vs pats the Rovers fans were amazing but then fcuked a table down the dressing room stairs and slashed seats in pubs and tried to start fights with kids at a bus stop.

www.foot.ie every week a post about what Rovers fans did the night before, every week a rovers fans defending them and blaming everyone but themselves. So your far from the best supported for 10 years, ever been to Santry? When we played you out there lucky to have 300 fans.

kdjac

The most ridiculous post I've seen in a while. Threw a table down the dressing room stairs? Where do you dream this stuff up? :rolleyes: We'll ignore the complete pats prat who came on the pitch with the "I 8 Rovers" on his top............

i missed him i left at the whistle what happened?

• Advertisement
Advertisement