Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unions. They're at it again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

But bringing in new timetables to take account of a 48 hour week and the other aspects should not take more that 12 months to work out. It doesn't strike me as that complecated an issue. In my job (on the check out in tescos) we are timetabled to have the correct number of people on at each time of day and we have the various arrangements for notice of a change in days and things like that.
    I understand that Dublin Bus is a bigger company and the timetables are more complicated but I really don't see how after 12 months of negotiations something agreeable to both the drivers and the company can't have been worked out.
    To answer your point, I will be annoyed if bus services are disrupted over this because because it doesn't seem that difficult a problem to work out and I don't see how disrupting the busses will make the problem any easier.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

John_C wrote:
    I understand that Dublin Bus is a bigger company and the timetables are more complicated but I really don't see how after 12 months of negotiations something agreeable to both the drivers and the company can't have been worked out.
    Isn't this the company that took 26 years to negotiate single-operator buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Bloodychancer

John_C wrote:
    But bringing in new timetables to take account of a 48 hour week and the other aspects should not take more that 12 months to work out. It doesn't strike me as that complecated an issue. In my job (on the check out in tescos) we are timetabled to have the correct number of people on at each time of day and we have the various arrangements for notice of a change in days and things like that.
    To answer your point, I will be annoyed if bus services are disrupted over this because because it doesn't seem that difficult a problem to work out and I don't see how disrupting the busses will make the problem any easier.

I agree with you that it should not take that long and that a solution should have been worked out by now.But negotiations can only take place were both sides are willing to negotiate.
    The companies position as I understand it is that this is legislation it has nothing to do with them and they are unwilling to do anything to alieviate the problems caused by the introduction.
    As I have already pointed out this has been known about for over 10 years that this was coming and the specifics of the Irish legislation since 1997.
    I can assure that bus Drivers do not want to be going on strike or be involved in any other form of industrial action 3 weeks before christmas we have families as well.

I asked the question what other course the unions could take given the threat of implementation without agreement if you have one please share it with us and I would be only to happy to pass it on.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Isn't this the company that took 26 years to negotiate single-operator buses?

No Dublin Bus was only established in 1987 2years after OPO started

OPO was introduced in 1985 I was unaware that negotiations started in 1959 do you have a link to some source for that.

I asked the question what other course the unions could take given the threat of implementation without agreement if you have one please share it with us and I would be only to happy to pass it on.
    ...agreement?

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...agreement?

Just a thought.

I asked for an alternative to Industrial action in the absense of agreement obviously if there was agreement then there would not be any threat of Industrial action.

I asked for an alternative to Industrial action in the absense of agreement
    With respect, you didn't. You asked for an alternative to industrial action given the threat of implementation without agreement. I don't think it's too flippant to suggest that the alternative is to reach an agreement.

oscarBravo wrote:
    With respect, you didn't. You asked for an alternative to industrial action given the threat of implementation without agreement. I don't think it's too flippant to suggest that the alternative is to reach an agreement.

With respect I think it is nothing but flippant the unions can not reach an agreement on their own.

We all know that in the end that whatever changes happen will have to be negotiated and agreed the management know that they can not implement what they have threatened to do. Hopefully it will not require a strike to bring them to their senses.

Advertisement