Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City, a bore or not?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

hello,

I am an American student and I will be traveling to Waterford for four months on an internship. I am a college aged student and I was hoping Waterford at least has some younger people and things to do at night. (maybe near WIT college?!) Can anyone give me some hope!?! Ive been researching the area and it seems very low key. I am not expecting it to be like Dublin, but would I be better off going to Dublin on weekends? PLease help me out!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

yankeegal wrote:
    hello,

I am an American student and I will be traveling to Waterford for four months on an internship. I am a college aged student and I was hoping Waterford at least has some younger people and things to do at night. (maybe near WIT college?!) Can anyone give me some hope!?! Ive been researching the area and it seems very low key. I am not expecting it to be like Dublin, but would I be better off going to Dublin on weekends? PLease help me out!:confused:

I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

Might be better than Dublin in some ways. To really get the benefit out of Dublin you'd have to be there longer than four months. That's perfect for Waterford though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if you like the idea of being ripped off in the pubs then Fáilte Romhat Chuig Port Láirge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Waterford is fine - I like it here. It's not dublin but then again, there are far more annoyances in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 yankeegal

what does that mean? (Fáilte Romhat Chuig Port Láirge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Welcome to Waterford lass..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody Yanks, they come over here and complain! Enough already!* :D

Mike.

*humour/humor ;)

Mike.

very very funny....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

It all really depends on what your looking for from the place i guess :
    Pubs ?
    Gyms ?
    Cinema ?
    Arts ?
    etc etc.

I am looking for a little bit of all I guess. I know I wont find all in the same area, but are there pubs/gyms near WIT?

Waterford isnt that big. you can get from the WIT to the center of town in a few minutes (if you are not walking)

• Advertisement

GYMS NEAR WIT
    Waterford crystal sports centre : gym and swimming pool
    WIT gym

PUBS NEAR WIT
    The Dome bar
    Paddy Brownes (Lisduggan)
    Bad Bobs (Lisduggan)

For better pubs your probably better heading closer to the city centre, its within walking distance from WIT and a taxi will only cost you around E5-10 depinding to the time and that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Send us a pic and we could prob help ya out even further :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

The only recreation that alot of people from waterford patisipate in is going out and getting pissed.You have to look very hard for other things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thing about Ireland is that the larger cities are surrounded by lots of smaller towns, so you can change the scenery in a matter of minutes when it suits.
    Waterford city has plenty of pubs and clubs, galleries, theaters and drama la de da etc (all mod cons) and the people are generally nice. Yes, there are a few young people, you can see them wandering around aimlessly most days and increasingly on weekends.
    If you fancy a change tramore is only 7 miles outside of town, nice place with great atmosphere, (lots of surfer bums and hippies there too) beaches, walks and restaurants. New ross is on the other side of the bridge, which has a completely different atmosphere (I always found wexford very biker grungy).
    Dublin is only a two hour drive from waterford (travelling at 90mph the twistiest windiest roads in Ireland) so weekends there should be fun providing you get there in one piece. Or you could just get the train, which takes apx three hours.
    Y'never really know where your going to wake up on saturday morning, but you can be sure it won't be anywhere remotely American.

As far as Ireland goes Waterford offers as much as any other major town or city.

Here, this might be handy to let you know the sort of stuff thats on around -

whazon, waterford

Also whats worth keeping in mind is maybe catching a game of Hurling/Gaelic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

c - 13 wrote:
    Here, this might be handy to let you know the sort of stuff thats on around -

whazon, waterford

I'm in the "middle" of setting up a waterford based website for events, mainly clubbing events and alternative music. The site ain't done yet but the forum is fairly active with over a 100 members so far. If you want to find out what's happening in waterford then check out the General Events Forum.
    www.blaa-blaa.com/forum btw ;)

Once the site is done, i will properly announce it.

Just to give a flavour of what's coming up in Waterford...
    Tonight in the Forum - Ben Watt from Everything But the Girl - Dj Set
    Next Week in the Forum - Tony Vegas from the Scratch Perverts
    the list goes on and on....
    it all depends what your into i suppose...?

Nice one !
    Bookmarked.

thanks for all the help everyone, I think Waterford seems like a nice place, definitely not dodgy like some have made it out to seem

maybe I will see some of you in the local pubs come Janurary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dodgy?* You sure you're American? :)

Mike.

*We are certainly not dodgy, thats Limerick!

hahah, well, i actually typed 'sketchy' but then I figured you may not know what that means.. and i remember dodgy from Love Actually, heheh, so i replaced it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

Waterford has pretty much got something for everyone...

It's the oldest city in Ireland so it has an amazing history going back over 1000 years... the old city walls, castles, towers, old buildings are to be seen everywhere... the city centre is modern has loads of good shops and of course there are more pubs than would be necessary for the entire EU LOL.

The county has Tramore as another poster already said and 30+ other beaches along the coast if you will be getting a car... it has a lovely coastline (called the copper coast) and has two mountain ranges with some fantastic scenery there... It also host the most beautiful small town in Ireland as voted by the tidy towns, Lismore, a gorgeous village with some fantastic scenery...

You will not be disappointed with WIT, it is a very modern campus and we all reckon in Waterford it will be upgraded to a Univeristy before long.

All in all you will not be disappointed I would imagine. the general perception of Waterford outside waterford is "What's down there?" but when anyone stays here they say "I wish I knew about this place before" Waterford people have kept it to themselves and it seems to be the forgotten county of Ireland... I think that is by design as they don't want it turning into another Dublin...

You could ask the lads on http://www.upthedeise.com about it as they are all crackers about Waterford :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coumtay

Hi Yankeegirl,

you should also try here:

http://www.upthedeise.org/waterfordmessageboard

It's a community of people from Waterford or with connections to Waterford who would love to help you out with any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

But it has been said about Waterford that its "a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village". There's no malice in that statement, just one person's opinion of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Dilbert75 wrote:
    But it has been said about Waterford that its "a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village". There's no malice in that statement, just one person's opinion of the place.

thats my perception of waterford to a t, actually! Don't mean anything nasty by it. I've lived in a few big cities - Chicago/Rennes and Cork of course. Waterford is a step down where entertainment/shopping is concerned but thats expected!

Dilbert75 wrote:
    pretty much covers my thoughts of the place too

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Going to have to go against popular opinion here.
    Don't like the night life in Waterford city at all. It doesn't have a college autmosphere during the week and at weekends there is only about 6 pubs you can go to that will have a vibrant crowd. Most of the pubs are up there own arse either trying to be ultra hip/trendy/posh. Very few places you can go to have a good laugh and not be looked at strangely. The bouncers are nearly all complete ******s (even for bouncers!). Little choice for clubs but the live music scene is really taking off and there should be a good band/act some where every weekend (if you have the money for it). Waterford is also very expensive as most pubs/clubs are owened by 2 groups of people.
    The city is looking very well and improving a lot every year.
    The College is new and looks good but I've had nothing but bad experiences trying to deal with administrators and course leaders there.
    Sorry to burst the bubble about Waterford but It's really going to be a matter of making your own fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jesper wrote:
    <snip>The bouncers are nearly all complete ******s (even for bouncers!).<snip>
    The College is new and looks good but I've had nothing but bad experiences trying to deal with administrators and course leaders there.
    <snip>

hmmmmmm, perhaps you just dislike authority figures which is why you don't get alone with bouncers or college administrators ;)
    Perhaps you are the problem not them, after all you can't have that much bad luck?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

"a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village"
    its cute :)
    hahah, well, i actually typed 'sketchy'
    must have lived in waterford in a past life.

All this advise is fabulous! Even though a few of you think its not that great, it probably has a lot more to offer than from where I come from. I have lived in both extremes, I am from a small town in Massachusetts, but I live in Boston now, so it seems like Waterford will be right in the middle of both. I just hope I can find some nice Irish to hang out with and get pissed (lol) Is it true that some pubs are 21+?

I must add that I find the Irish humour quite enjoyable... maybe I did live in Waterford in a past life, haha

• Advertisement

No, to my knowledge none of the pubs in Waterford are over 21's. Except maybe whispers (lap dancing) dont know about there tbh.

Advertisement