Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City, a bore or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if a pub is over 21 and you dont fit the age there are many that will serve 18+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Is it not against the law to that these days.. discrimination or something...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

south wrote:
    Is it not against the law to that these days.. discrimination or something...

Your correct, there's been no such thing as a over 21's pub or club for well over two years now as its against the law

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Cabaal wrote:
    Your correct, there's been no such thing as a over 21's pub or club for well over two years now as its against the law

Aha but there probably will be in Waterford seeing that most of the bouncers are ******s. :D
    And its not an authority problem I have I was trying to apply for a Masters in WIT and found them all very difficult to deal with and extremely slow to respond. When I eventully completed all the work needed myself I got informed in June that the Masters I wanted to do wouldn't be available until next year. A delay getting funding/numbers etc.
    But then again its a place like everywhere else and it'll be as much fun as you make it. And like posted before there are places close by that are very good for a night out like Kilkenny City and Fungarven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 yankeegal

hmmm, well I am 20, so I hope they are not tools about it

i was also wondering, what do Irish think of the American accent? Do we sound like complete idiots? Do the guys like a girl with an accent??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Cabaal wrote:
    Ruby's have an over 21 night on Tuesdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lionheart84

It`S quite simple Waterford best place for a god damn good piss up being from waterford and in college in sligo all i can say is up the deise..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ruby's have an over 21 night on Tuesdays.

Ruby Tuesdays, used that be a gay night there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I love Waterford, nightlife is good enough there. I had a fantstic time down there during the Imagin Festival, granted there was loads of live music that week but ther'e always something to go to down there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

yankeegal wrote:

i was also wondering, what do Irish think of the American accent? Do we sound like complete idiots? Do the guys like a girl with an accent??

your only as smart as the words that come out of your mouth! or something equally profound along those lines anyway.......TAXI ! Take me to the asylum!

Yeah, i remember going into Rubys before on a Tuesday, it was full of Dykes. Well not full....but around a dozen or so "ladys" would be in there. You would know by the look of them that they'd cook a mean breakfast. Rashers, eggs, suasages..toast...the list goes on tbh.........pudding....lobster...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hahah! well, Im not looking for women... so I should probably stay away from there on Tuesday nights! where do all the young, attractive Irish men hang out??!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

what part of mass, im moving over there myself in feburary.

Waterford is a grand old spot and alot more personal than Dublin. Make sure when your over here to go travelling around ireland.Places like kerry, cork,Galway,Clare,Mayo and Donegal have oustanding Scenery and thats only the west and south coast. Try http://www.goireland.ie/ has loads of useful information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

I doubt she'll be lookin' at the scenary lads, if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

yankeegal wrote:
    hahah! well, Im not looking for women... so I should probably stay away from there on Tuesday nights! where do all the young, attractive Irish men hang out??!?!

i frequent Ruby's on a Tueday quite often for some strange reason......anyway to answer you question, the attractive men hang out out down at the beach pumpin weights and lifting cattle above their heads....you even had to ask!? Shock!

galwaydude wrote:
    what part of mass, im moving over there myself in feburary.

Im in Boston right now, where abouts you moving to?

i frequent Ruby's on a Tueday quite often for some strange reason......anyway to answer you question, the attractive men hang out out down at the beach pumpin weights and lifting cattle above their heads....you even had to ask!? Shock!

hmmm... but will these attractive men be there in January? Isnt it cold there in January? What is the avg. temp? Im gonna have get used to this Celcius stuff....

you will be grand considering what the temp is like in bosten in january. Im moving to new hampshire and then South bosten once i get settled in after 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yankeegal wrote:
    Isnt it cold there in January? What is the avg. temp? Im gonna have get used to this Celcius stuff....

Typical winter temps of around 8 C which is 46 in old money. You won't freeze but it will be damp (proberly!).

Mike.

better than the snowy season I will be missing here!

another question for anyone...

which airport do you all fly into for International flights? which is the closest to Waterford? How far away is Shannon? Does a train go from Shannon to Waterford? Taxi? (are taxis costly?)

• Advertisement

Hi there

It depends, you can fly to dublin or get off in shannon. In 2 years time shannon will be used no more as a stopover when flying to dublin.

Your best bet is fly to shannon, only takes 5 maybe 6 hours from bosten.
    Then get the bus to limerick which is only about 15 mins away.

You can then get a bus to waterford from Limerick and it takes 2hrs 25 mins to be exact accord to bus eireann.

Taxis are ripoffs well the ones in dublin are. Down the country its not bad but beware as taxis's have a tendancy once they hear that you have an accent they take detours or the longest way to the destination in order to make more money.Hope happened me a few times as i let my GF do the talking.Damn american accent.

Enjoy your stay in waterford and im sure you wont have any problems with finding irish guys as we irish love accents.:D

You will prob find ireland alot different than the states price wise and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Does anybody else from Waterford or the rest or Ireland for that matter, resent Dubs referring to anything outside the pale as "Down the Country"

sorry for going off topic but it is one of my pet hates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote:
    Does anybody else from Waterford or the rest or Ireland for that matter, resent Dubs referring to anything outside the pale as "Down the Country"

sorry for going off topic but it is one of my pet hates

Yeah it grates all right. Been around for a while though. The phrase was mentioned in Dubliners, iirc.

It's as if they've invented this new place called "Down the country" that we're all from, just to simplify their geography lessons!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    It's as if they've invented this new place called "Down the country" that we're all from, just to simplify their geography lessons!

Would you rather they say "up the country" ;)
    Seriously its just to generalise the rest of the country...it could be much worse
    they could say "down the country where all the farmers are"

Lighten up abit people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    Would you rather they say "up the country" ;)
    Seriously its just to generalise the rest of the country...it could be much worse
    they could say "down the country where all the farmers are"

Lighten up abit people :D

Nonsense, it is used as a dismissive gesture and always has been. In fact it was described as such in a footnote to the comment in Dubliners! (or was it Ulysses?)

The things is we, outside Dublin, don't say up or down the country to refer to Dublin or Cork or Sligo or anywhere, we say the name of the place. Shows proper respect for people. People say "out the country" in Waterford to refer to people living in rural areas, which is fair enough. (since it is actually the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Merlante is right... Why should the rest of Ireland put up with this lark

Why not just use the expression "Outside of Dublin" then it would not sound as condesending as "Down the Country"

This would also be better geographically speaking for places like Donegal which are "Up the Country".

why does the rest of the country give a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I find Waterford to be pretty much hit and miss. Some weekends you can go out and have a right laugh and there usually is a good mix of stuff happening. Other nights you can head out and the pubs are crammed and you spend half the night waiting for a couple of drinks. That said, I haven't been out in Hell since the summer since I'm away most weekends but it's ok and nothing spectacular. If you don't fancy going out to get hammered most weekends, well there is.......

eh....

feck all to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

yankeegal wrote:
    another question for anyone...

which airport do you all fly into for International flights? which is the closest to Waterford? How far away is Shannon? Does a train go from Shannon to Waterford? Taxi? (are taxis costly?)

Shannon is about a 3 to 3 and a half hour drive from Waterford. If you got a taxi from there you might as well win the lottery before you come over. There are no trains directly from the aiport either.

• Advertisement

you'be be better off flying into Dublin and get the train down to Waterford

Advertisement