Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City, a bore or not?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Mossy Monk wrote:
    why does the rest of the country give a damn

spot on, spot on! Who cares! The only people who care are clutchies!

:p
    /me hides and waits for a backlash from some clutchies

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    People say "out the country" in Waterford to refer to people living in rural areas, which is fair enough. (since it is actually the country)

But there's place names to rural area's, surely you should show respect and use the proper name? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kensutz wrote:
    I find Waterford to be pretty much hit and miss. Some weekends you can go out and have a right laugh and there usually is a good mix of stuff happening. Other nights you can head out and the pubs are crammed and you spend half the night waiting for a couple of drinks. That said, I haven't been out in Hell since the summer since I'm away most weekends but it's ok and nothing spectacular. If you don't fancy going out to get hammered most weekends, well there is.......

eh....

feck all to do.

Well.......you could say that about any part of the country (even Dublin:eek: )!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 yankeegal

Do many houses have internet connections? How much would a high speed internet connection cost per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

broadband is available in most of the town. i get my connection for free :) so i dont know what the prices are like. what kind of high speed are you used to. fastest i know thats available residentially is 3 megs*

*not sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mossy Monk wrote:
    broadband is available in most of the town. i get my connection for free :)

Is that because of where you work, or is it automatically included with your apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

option b

yankeegal wrote:
    Do many houses have internet connections? How much would a high speed internet connection cost per month?

the internet is a rare commidity over here. Most people are happy to draw on cave walls to be honest and are gratefull to the fact that they don't have leporsay. A high speed internet connection is a bonus thou!

The main Broadband Providers in Ireland are:
    Eircom
    Digiweb
    NTL

I have a 2meg line with Digiweb for €25 per month. Tis a grand ol' service!
    Your best bet is NTL thou. They have the fastest lines, with the lowest overall cost and a wide coverage in Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your only staying for awhile your best bet is find a place that has broadband included, alot of student flats and x student flats generally have s shared broadband connection and a internel LAN.
    As most DSL/Cable & Wireless providers have 6-12 month contracts...I'd also have to agree with Rollo Tamasi, go with NTL Cable its by far the best value product compared to DSL.

thanks for the tips:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Can I just ask is Revolution really a gay bar on a Friday night or something like that???

Le Rack wrote:
    Can I just ask is Revolution really a gay bar on a Friday night or something like that???

Not heard anything to say that it is tbh, maybe its just a hangout spot for a few people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

yankeegal wrote:
    I am looking for a little bit of all I guess. I know I wont find all in the same area, but are there pubs/gyms near WIT?
    I go to WIT, it is okay, it is about a miles walk from the town, but WIT has its own bar, gym and sports facilities.

I am sick of everybody always going to Dublin, for gods sake, there is a LOT more to Ireland then Dublin! More people need to move out of Dublin and down to places like Cork, Waterford and Galway before Dublins population becomes too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I dunno.. We were down there one night, a Friday, we were walking past it and I said "Sure let's go in there!" there looked to be a good crowd and music and stuff but I was then informed by my friends that no we were not going in there as it is a gay bar! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    But there's place names to rural area's, surely you should show respect and use the proper name? ;)

I know people who can only tell where they live by saying that they live 5 miles from here, and 15 miles from there, etc. And their house has no number: i.e. 3rd house after the big tree, next to the orchard.

These people, officially, live out the country!:p

How would you all suggest I go abouts finding accomodation? Wait until I arrive? If I arrive, how long would you say it would take for me to find housing? A week? A few days?

yankeegal wrote:
    How would you all suggest I go abouts finding accomodation? Wait until I arrive? If I arrive, how long would you say it would take for me to find housing? A week? A few days?

years, possible decades! :v:
    maybe the nice people from Hutchinsons Auctioneers could help you speed up the process. It might only take a few months then. I got the place i'm living in at the moment from them, very good service too..i might add.

If i was in your shoes, i would enquire about B&B's around Waterford and then once you arrive...book yourself in for a day or 3 or 4 and dedicate your available time to finding a nice gaff to live in. I think you said, you'r arriving in Jan or something....there will be bucket loads of apartment shares around at that time of year. It shouldn't be too hard to find a nice place.

(jasus, your really doing your research into this!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

You would be better of to have a look at bookaroom.com

word of warning, don't go near a company called Castle Estates
    there very dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bards wrote:
    Does anybody else from Waterford or the rest or Ireland for that matter, resent Dubs referring to anything outside the pale as "Down the Country"

sorry for going off topic but it is one of my pet hates
    Nah. You have to remember that the term Jackeen comes from the old English word for toilet (Jakes - pronounced jacks ). [1] Alternatively, the term for Dubliners comes from their association with the Union Jack. Kind of hard to take the Dubs seriously when you know these things. :)

Regards...jmcc
    [1]"My lord, if you'll give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar and
    daub the walls of a jakes with him" King Lear. Act II Scene 2.

• Advertisement

. It might only take a few months then. I got the place i'm living in at the moment from them, very good service too..i might add.

hmm, this might pose as a problem, seeing as though I will only be in Waterford for a few months...uh oh:eek:

ps. thanks for the links, I might give them a call and see how they can help me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jmcc wrote:
    Nah. You have to remember that the term Jackeen comes from the old English word for toilet (Jakes - pronounced jacks ). [1] Alternatively, the term for Dubliners comes from their association with the Union Jack. Kind of hard to take the Dubs seriously when you know these things. :)

Regards...jmcc
    [1]"My lord, if you'll give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar and
    daub the walls of a jakes with him" King Lear. Act II Scene 2.

I think the term originates from the time Queen Victoria visited Dublin and a VERY large section of the populace truned out to greet her waving Union Jacks....thus the term Jackeen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Wateford is ok. Never had a problem except the only thing boring is waiting in traffic jams.

lazylad wrote:
    Wateford is ok. Never had a problem except the only thing boring is waiting in traffic jams.

ohh my God! the best part of the day is when your stuck in traffic! what a strange remark! :v: ............:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Right that's wierd thing to notice! :/

Advertisement