Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton F.C.

• 11-11-2005 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

hey all just wondering if we have any southampton fans here at boards and thought id get a place to keep up to date about them:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well here I am...

Saints fan all my life, still loving them despite the relegation, hoping we can hang on to Theo Walcott and hoping Marian Pahars will recover from his injuries to guide us back to where we "belong".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

theo will lead us back to glory definetly and if we can start giving him some support up front we will really be motoring:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Question is can you hang onto Walcott long enough to get you promoted? Amazing talent who has done brilliantly since Harry moved him from the wing to up front. He does need to work on his finishing a bit though as he tends to miss a few chances. Great prospect though.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Amazing talent who has done brilliantly since Harry moved him from the wing to up front.

All four games he has started have been up front. He has mostly come off the bench to pay up front as well, although with his size it would be easy for him to be passed off as a winger.

It will be interesting to see what 'Arry does when Pahars comes back as it is difficult to see both Pahars and Walcott playing up front together.

Great to see Killer back in action too, one of the best defenders in England when he's fit and I dare someone to argue otherwise.

Still haven't lost at fortress St. Marys this season either, which can't be a bad thing. The future ain't looking too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Question is can you hang onto Walcott long enough to get you promoted? Amazing talent who has done brilliantly since Harry moved him from the wing to up front. He does need to work on his finishing a bit though as he tends to miss a few chances. Great prospect though.
    I read yesterday that Madrid were looking at him.:eek:

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I read yesterday that Madrid were looking at him.:eek:

:eek: indeed, where'd you read that?

quality and he has got pace to burn. I reckon he can only improve by staying and playing under harry. just look at what he done for rio and joe cole:p

And Frank Lampard and arguably Jermaine Defoe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    All four games he has started have been up front. He has mostly come off the bench to pay up front as well, although with his size it would be easy for him to be passed off as a winger.

I know this, what I meant was that he was originally a winger and played a few games for the reserves as a winger. Great player although as a leeds fan im delighted his finishing isnt great as he missed at least 4 great chances against us in Elland Road. Where did you hear Madrid were looking at him eirebhoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=323973&cpid=10&CLID=20&lid=&title=Real+track+Walcott&channel=championship
    Real Madrid are the latest name to be linked with highly-rated Southampton youngster Theo Walcott.

The 16-year-old is presently the hottest prospect in English football, and according to his Spanish intermediary, Walcott's burgeoning reputation is earning him admirers throughout the top echelon of European clubs.

"There was an enquiry from Real Madrid in the summer," Colin Gordon told the Daily Star.

"And he could have gone to Chelsea, United, Arsenal or Liverpool. Everyone was aware of Theo but he chose to stay [at Southampton]."

Gordon also revealed details of the youngster's current pay deal, continuing: "Theo is on £80-a-week and, just like the other lads, until he is 17 he can't be paid professional wages.

"The rules will not change just because it's Theo Walcott."

Although the fleet-footed striker is currently happy at St Mary's, it seems that with such potent suitors pursuing him he is unlikely to remain on the South Coast long after his 17th birthday.

• Advertisement

Saints under 18's have had a ridiculously good start to the season too.

In their first few games they scored 6,4,6,4,2,4, and 3. Since then they've drawn 2 and lost one though, partly due to some players (*cough* David McGoldrick *cough*) going out on loan. McGoldrick had a sensational number of goals in the first few games iirc.

They're currently 6 points clear after 10 games of the season.

Also, a good few of the players we have loaned out have scored recently which is good for the future.

PS - Theo's shirt (and the rest of the squads) from the Leicester match on Saturday is being auctioned on the official site and the bidding currently stands at £1201, which is twice the nearest (Anti Niemi) price.

Mchurl are you subscribed to SaintsTV? Well worth the money.

"Theo is on £80-a-week and, just like the other lads, until he is 17 he can't be paid professional wages."

It would take him nearly 4 months to buy his own jersey at auction so!

no not subscribed will have to look into it though.

Theo should stay where he is and keep on developing as a player.

Future looking even brighter then with the u-18's doing so well

heard on sky sports news theo's dad saying he wanted him to stay with saints for the forseeable future to help bring him on by playing first team football

Now there is a man with a bit of sense:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I watch southhampton when Walcot is playing, he has that special thing about him. Harry has an eye for these players.

kdjac

In fairness Redknapp may take credit for bringing him into the team but he has had little or nothing to do with his development otherwise. The new Saints academy is one of the best in the country (nearly said Premiership there, :().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All well and good training them but if you buy in some crap norwegian left winger and play him instead it means nothing really.

Im sure if clubs were forced (yes UEFA force them!!!!!!) to play these lads there would be a lot better players playing then crap ones bought in.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    All well and good training them but if you buy in some crap norwegian left winger and play him instead it means nothing really.

Or Polish...

Although Kosovski (spelling?) looks to be quite a decent find, as has Hajto. As regards Redknapp and Theo, I think Harry has had his hand forced more than anything. We have serious problems up front and Harry was "desperately" (or so he claims) looking for a striker pre-deadline day. I reckon if we had brought someone in that Theo would still be sitting in the under 16's/18's/reserves. Every cloud eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Sheffield United and Reading have made the automatic promotion spots their own, but I'd definately fancy Southampton to stay in and around there. They've drawn a few too many games, but a tough side to beat, I'd definately back them in the play-offs if that's where they end up.
    I haven't seen much of Theo Walcott, but it's amazing that someone who is drawing such interest from clubs like Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus etc didn't figure for them last season.

He was only 15 last season, afaik you aren't allowed to play someone until they are 16, though I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

even if we were allowed to plat theo last season he couldn't of changed too much for us. I mean what can a 15 year old do in that sort of situation and besides we had crouch up front at that stage.

Also i think we should defintly make the play off's and if big 'arr can bring in another quality striker in januray to bag a few goals for us we may be able to go on a run that will be good enough for an automatic place
    ...................or maybe thats just me with wishful thinking:D

Wolves vs Saints - 12.30 today, SkySports 1

i fancy us today. I just hve a good feeling and i think the lads have a point to prove after the performances in the last week

Yeah but they had a point to prove on Wednesday and they bottled it again. The one thing I've learned as a Saints fan is to never expect anything, they always surprise me.

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Starting XI
    25. Postma, Stefan
    3. Naylor, Lee
    5. Lescott, Joleon
    24. Gyepes, Gabor
    12. Edwards, Rob
    22. Huddlestone, Tom
    11. Kennedy, Mark
    10. Cameron, Colin
    14. Anderton, Darren
    9. Ganea, Ioan
    18. Ndah, George
    Substitutes
    1. Oakes, Michael
    17. Ross, Maurice
    4. Olofinjana, Seyi
    19. Seol, Ki-hyeon
    33. Clarke, Leon

Southampton
    Starting XI
    1. Niemi, Antti
    19. Higginbotham, Danny
    6. Powell, Darren
    22. Kenton, Darren
    18. Delap, Rory
    3. Kosowski, Kamil
    23. Folly, Yoann
    8. Oakley, Matt
    31. Belmadi, Djamel
    9. Ormerod, Brett
    32. Walcott, Theo
    Substitutes
    13. Smith, Paul
    7. Hajto, Tomasz
    10. McCann, Neil
    14. Fuller, Ricardo
    15. Jones, Kenwyne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw the minute for George Best at Molineux on SSN, exellent moment far better than a ponderous silence.

Oh yes Wolves to beat Saints 2-1.

Mike.

Wolves should have had a penalty there. Not the best 30 minutes of football ever.

0-0, Saints 12th draw in the league this season, more than any other club in England.

Wolves were better than us and Niemi kept us in it more than once. I'm happy with a draw but really I shouldn't be.

after the preformance i'll have to be happy with a draw! but we need to start turning some of these draws into wins. Even if we were to lose some more mathces than we are we need to start going for more wins

• Advertisement

Draws are what kill you in the Championship. even if you lose 2 and win 2 that gives you more points than drawing the four games. Points really arent good enough to gain promotion you need to be winning games. With the team that Southampton have I really dont see any reason for them not to be in the top 6. Granted they need a striker badly and Harry needs to put that right in the transfer window.

hopefully harry can pull another gem out of the fire to partner theo up front because ormerod just isnt good enough imo

Life after Harry is going o.k. so far! Theo scored a sensational goal, 1-0 up against Luton at the minute. We're looking shaky but hopefully we can hang on. The goal was fit to win any game.

I'll upload it straight after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Yeah I saw it, like the commentator said, a finish that any striker in the world would be proud of.

While talk of England is premature, he looks decent. How many has he got this season?

Thats 4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Cheers, couldn't see it on skysports.com.

• Advertisement

Excellent goal by Walcott today, he is looking better and better as the season goes on. I still dont think his finishing is that good yet and he tends to miss a few of the easier chances but if he can sort that he will be a top player

Kingp35 wrote:
    Excellent goal by Walcott today, he is looking better and better as the season goes on. I still dont think his finishing is that good yet and he tends to miss a few of the easier chances but if he can sort that he will be a top player

Yeah I agree, he seems to find it hard to put the ball wide of the keeper sometimes. Still, when he can score goals like todays one at the age of 16...

The futures bright, the futures Walcott...

Rory Delap is a highly unusual character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What was the final score? Saw the goal from Walcott, superb, you'd expect Southampton to be blitzed with offers sooner or later.

• Advertisement

1-0 in the end. Delap sent off a few minutes from time, stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid player.

no need for him to do that we are going to miss him now. Great finish from theo, hopefully we can at least hold on to him for the rest of the season. Mr. Joesoap do u think basset and wise are the men for the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

mchurl wrote:
    no need for him to do that we are going to miss him now. Great finish from theo, hopefully we can at least hold on to him for the rest of the season. Mr. Joesoap do u think basset and wise are the men for the job?

Yes I think that is a good combination. Showed yesterday with Basset in stands and Wise on pitch looking after team. Gives a differnet view when in stands.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yes I think that is a good combination. Showed yesterday with Basset in stands and Wise on pitch looking after team. Gives a differnet view when in stands.

Yeah they were on the Bat-phone to each other constantly. I wonder what kind of role Rupert Lowe has while sitting beside Bassett/Redknapp/etc... up there.

As for the Bassett/Wise combination, I don't really know. One thing is for sure, if Bassett gets the job Wise will be his right-hand man. Bassett is hugely experienced (over 1000 games) and I think I remember hearing somewhere that he has got around 6 or more promotions as a manager.

The key is finding someone brave or stupid enough to work with Rupert Lowe. Bassett has said that if he gets the job he would resign if he didn't achieve promotion by next season. I like the way he talks, he's honest (after 'Arry we need that) and cuts no crap.

Good article on him here - http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article332310.ece

Basset has a lot of respect around the leagues in england as well and i like the way wisey is. He is jumoing around and agitated on the sideline and thats what i like to see. I think with those two in charge the team certainly wont be found wanting in the motivation department. Rupert should appoint them as they know the players currently at the club and they know what is required so at least if they are appointed there wont be any major transitional problems and give them until the end of the season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There are rumours that a double act of Francis Benali and Matt Le Tissier are in the running. On Saturday afternoon on Sky Sports Jeff Stelling asked Matt was he still interested and he said he'd love it - and they mentioned how it would bring the club and fans back together again .... although I dont think any of them really believes it will happen

i would love to see matt and francis involved in some sort of role but tbh i cant see them becoming joint managers. They just havent got the experience required for this. They should give the two a role at the club though as if they did it would go some way to getting the fans back on the side of the board.

http://www.soccerfanatics.net/dlvideo/2568403150l.wmv

Theo Walcott compilation, I haven't got around to watching it yet though. Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Roll on Saturday boys. Flying over in the morning. We've lost Davenport back to Spurs because his loan deal finished so it looks like Doherty and Fleming as the 2 center halves. But the team are gonna be up in confidence with Safri signing a new deal and the win last Saturday, here's to a good game.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    http://www.soccerfanatics.net/dlvideo/2568403150l.wmv

Theo Walcott compilation, I haven't got around to watching it yet though. Let me know.

just action from hi debut agaisnt wolves. Shows his talent even in his first appearance

• Advertisement
Advertisement