Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Advise?

• 11-11-2005 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello,
    I will be traveling to Waterford on a four month internship in January. I am a college aged student who knows NOBODY in Waterford! Is WIT a place I should look to share a house/apt. with someone? Does Waterford have nightlife? How do Irish view Americans?
    Hope someone can help!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 WITSU

How do Irish view Americans?

Now either your talking about European's who are Anti-American or your an American who thinks that being Anti-American means everyone in europe hates all Americans which is not the case.

You should get along fine is your internship with an American Company, of which their are lots in Ireland, We love the Americans (or at least the Dollar :D )

Sorry, that was a sarcastic Ramble.

Does your college in America have any connections with WIT you might be able to organise to met other Americans on Campus.

I am sure their are other Americans around the college who will help you out when you first come to Waterford.

Oh and yes on a drunkin' night out you prob will get people (Irish) coming up to say "Bush is a Wanker" to which you should reply "Bertie is a Gobs1ite" :D I say that jokingly but Des Bishop had cameras around him when he did it, it might not actually work. Most people will agree with you that Bertie is a Gobs1ite, others might not but then what do they expect when they say Bush is a wanker ?

Bertie is the man in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 yankeegal

thanks for the advise, I am indeed American but I am friendly so I hope that the locals will like me as a person and not hate because in from the USA! lol

i will also take your advise on Bertie! I'll try it out, I hope I do not get thrown out of a pub for saying that! Im trusting youre word! haha

do you go to WIT? Is the campus safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

yankeegal wrote:
    Hello,
    I will be traveling to Waterford on a four month internship in January. I am a college aged student who knows NOBODY in Waterford! Is WIT a place I should look to share a house/apt. with someone? Does Waterford have nightlife? How do Irish view Americans?
    Hope someone can help!:eek:

There always adverts up in the college with flats/houses for rent so you shouldint have any trouble getting accomodation.

If your out on the town you might get the odd drunken muppet going up to you sayin sh*t to you about the war in Iraq but your just better off to ignore him/her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

WITSU wrote:
    I am sure their are other Americans around the college who will help you out when you first come to Waterford.

On that note, if memory serves there is 1, maybe 2 american students at WIT

On that note, if memory serves there is 1, maybe 2 american students at WIT

Their might be some Canadians, Mexicans, Peruivans, Venueselaians, Brazilians etc. around. Sure aren't they all Americans.
    Is the campus safe?

Mmmmm is it ?

Yeah I guess it is.

Some of the Kids around the local area are Brats (and not in the all loving american way, i.e. Bart Simpson they are not).

• Advertisement

WITSU wrote:
    Their might be some Canadians, Mexicans, Peruivans, Venueselaians, Brazilians etc. around. Sure aren't they all Americans.

My Impression was that the OP was specifiaclly interested in American students. I know there is a healthy amount of Chinese students on campus year round. At the moment we also have a healthy mix of Spanish, Porteguse (spelling?), Austrian and German students on campus as part of the erasmus program.

I'm sure there are plenty others aswell.......

hmmm, very diverse, but I hope to meet many Irish too!

Is the IDA industrial park near WIT?

yankeegal wrote:
    hmmm, very diverse, but I hope to meet many Irish too!

Is the IDA industrial park near WIT?

The IDA is literally right beside the WIT. In fact WIT has a "technology" campus (applied tech building) on the IDA

Are Canadians, Mexicans, Peruivans, Venueselaians, Brazilians etc. are Americans.

Yeah one big happy family. :)

I dont know about your country, but in the states most on that list are illegal aliens....with the exception of the Canadians

Happy family.... :rolleyes:

WITSU wrote:
    Are Canadians, Mexicans, Peruivans, Venueselaians, Brazilians etc. are Americans.

Yeah one big happy family. :)

• Advertisement

I dont know about your country, but in the states most on that list are illegal aliens....with the exception of the Canadians

Big mistake those Canadians speak French :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

WITSU wrote:
    Big mistake those Canadians speak French :eek:
    and your point is?

and your point is?

I am being Ironic.

The US is happy to take in Candians some of whom speak french (they don't like the french in the US either) but some Americans find that the influx of South American's who speak Spainish and Portuegues is disrupting American Life and bring in new lanuages to a largely English speaking country i.e. Florida's unoffical second lanuage is Spainish, I heard Mr. Bush speaks Spainish.

WITSU wrote:
    I am being Ironic.

The US is happy to take in Candians some of whom speak french (they don't like the french in the US either) but some Americans find that the influx of South American's who speak Spainish and Portuegues is disrupting American Life and bring in new lanuages to a largely English speaking country i.e. Florida's unoffical second lanuage is Spainish, I heard Mr. Bush speaks Spainish.

i don't get it. :confused:
    i still don't know what your babbling on about

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

most important thing is that on a good night out you end up going to istanbul(not he city, but the best kebab place around).

mayordenis wrote:
    most important thing is that on a good night out you end up going to istanbul(not he city, but the best kebab place around).

ohh yes, no doubt about it. For a while i was taking a wander into Abra late at night but since it moved to where Mo's used to i've been heading back to Istanbul. There is something weird about that new Abbra, its not the same since they made the move. Thank jasus for Kebabs thou, lovely jubbley!
    :v: ........................!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

ohh yes, no doubt about it. For a while i was taking a wander into Abra late at night but since it moved to where Mo's used to i've been heading back to Istanbul. There is something weird about that new Abbra, its not the same since they made the move. Thank jasus for Kebabs thou, lovely jubbley!
    :v: ........................!

I was such a frequent visitor the past two years i dont even have to q! Just throw up the hand and they bring it out to me....now thats service!!

Advertisement