Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6600GT 256MB AGP, possible power problems?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi just throwing this out there, to see if any of you can shed some light on this,

I just go the XFX 6600GT 256MB, card.
    Went though the normal uninstall of my 9800 pro, popped the new card in, powered up the system and it froze just after POST.
    Powered off the PC, but on the reboot the system didn't POST at all!
    I popped the 9800 pro back in, and it booted up fist time, no hassles. back in with the 6600GT same issue once again.

Thinking about the power, i disconnected all the fans, DVD rom, DVD burner, and connected in a old PATA hard drive, so to use the least amount of power. Came up with the same results again.

I'm thinking the pc is under powered, can any one confirm this?
    :confused:
    PC

Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W
    AMD64 3200
    1GB DDR
    40GB Raptor HDD (also used a 60GB maxtor 7200)
    ABIT KX7 pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

I'm running the same 6600GT card using a Quiet PC 400W psu + CDRW, 1xSATA HDD, 1 X IDE HDD, 1 x TV Tuner and 2 x 120 mm fans with no power problems and I doubt that that's your problem

It sounds like you may have a faulty card, possibly the AGP connector. Can you try the card in another machine? If it won't work on another machine I would RMA the card.

...Z

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Did you see the fan move on the card?

If the fan is receiving no power the machine won't boot.

I would not think your power supply is the problem if it can run the 9800 pro with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Borris

if i power the system on from cold, after the mains switch has been off for a few min, the card will put out graphics, showing the BIOS etc, but with in about 1min it will crash, and from then on it will not post again, weird i know.

Yes at all times the card's fan spins up etc,and looks to be alive.

i did read that the card is very power hungry, but since you are running the same wattage psu, it may be the card..

anyone else with any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Welcome to my 6600gt hell. actually yours is a little worse as it will not start up but still it just another 6600gt that wont work right. I have spent the best part of my free time this week trying to get my card going with mixed results, i have every driver tried and today i even updated the bios and the via chipset drivers, tomorrow is its last chance before i return it even then komplett say if it test ok for them they just return it i cant change for a different make so i gotta a 180euro paper weight. I cant really try it on my mate pc as it the same because we build them both at the same time. same chip, boards etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a similar problem with an ATI x700, it booted sometimes and other times it came up with the message "Please connect the power cable to you video card", i checked th fan was working, it was. The problem was i hadnt connected the power cable as it was stuffed in with a load of other cables, i connected it and it worked grand since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Some of the 660GT models I read can have problems with the heatsinks going skew-ways so that it isn't making good contact with the gpu core. Hence the cards get hot and unstable. Might be worth checking out the seating of the heatsink in case this is happening. The 6600GT should definitely have enough juice from a 400W Zalman PSU so I doubt it is the lack of power causing problems here. I think it is just the AGP version of 6600GT that needs an extra power cable, so if you are on PCI-E this wouldn't be a factor, but since you are swapping a 9800Pro in and out I would assume you have AGP. I can't tell what motherboard you have for sure, because the board you have listed 'KX7 Pro' doesn't sound right if you are using a 64 bit Athlon. Abit's KX7 series is all Socket A going by their website so I presume it is a typo or something.

Advertisement