Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering a wall?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Plastering a wall?

I have just taken out the door between the kitchen and living room and I've blocked it up with a stud wall, and have an insert which the new Plasma proudly sits in.
    I did the stud with plaster board, and used this new roll on skim coat from woodies (glorified thick paint!) The finish looks okay'ish. But I'm a perfectionist and I keep noticing raised bits here and there.

If I got a plasterer in to skim over the whole wall, would he/she be able to skim direct onto painted plaster board?

Thanks,

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Apip99 wrote:
    Afternoon all,

Plastering a wall?

I have just taken out the door between the kitchen and living room and I've blocked it up with a stud wall, and have an insert which the new Plasma proudly sits in.
    I did the stud with plaster board, and used this new roll on skim coat from woodies (glorified thick paint!) The finish looks okay'ish. But I'm a perfectionist and I keep noticing raised bits here and there.

If I got a plasterer in to skim over the whole wall, would he/she be able to skim direct onto painted plaster board?

Thanks,

Pip

They can "scratch" it to help plaster adhere
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joey1

Apip99 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Plastering a wall?

Thanks,

Pip
    you also need to apply a adhesive called polybond, otherwise the plaster will come of.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Polybond will only seal the wall. For the best adhesision you'll require some Thistlebond. It will seal the wall and leave a gritty surfacce for the skim coat, etc to adhere to

Give me a shout and I'll let you have some.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Polybond will only seal the wall. For the best adhesision you'll require some Thistlebond. It will seal the wall and leave a gritty surfacce for the skim coat, etc to adhere to

Give me a shout and I'll let you have some.

Martin

are you an agent for the stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

are you an agent for the stuff?

No in the truest sense of the boards community I'm offering someone who, if my memory serves me right lives local to me, may use some product that I have lying around.

I'm not a plasterer, but as most here an enthusiastic DIYer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

polybond will do the job ,,that Thistlebond is very expensive think about 70euro a tin.

Advertisement