Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't switch service providers becuase of eircon

Options
  • 11-11-2005 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I currently receive a broadband service form BT Ireland and telephone service(calls and line) from Talk Talk Ireland. I have been trying to change my service operators to Smart Telecom for both phone and broadband, as it would result in a substantial saving. However, Eircom are obstructing this move. They have declined Smart Telecoms request to transfer the line from Talk Talk to Smart. Both Smart Telecom and Eircom have informed me to I must first switch my call service back to Eircom nad then switch to Smart. I have no desire under any cirumstances to become an Eircom customer, and also each transfer will take about two weeks. Eircom have informed me that this is the process to be followed as agreed with Comreg. Smart Telecom have also informed me that Eircom will also refuse the Broadband transfer if a Broadband signal is still on the line, which means terminating my existing Broadband Service and waiting a minimum of 2 weeks without Broadband - which I cannot do as I require it for work. This is an intolerable situation, in which I am being forced to move service to a company which I do not want to be with, and also being forced into being without my broadband service for at least a fortnight, which I can't do as my wife uses it for work.

This is bloody ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Welcome to Ireland. It sucks. You are not the only one in this situation :mad: There is really nothing you can do about this problem of yours €ircon have set it up on purpose to hinder competition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I currently receive a broadband service form BT Ireland and telephone service(calls and line) from Talk Talk Ireland. I have been trying to change my service operators to Smart Telecom for both phone and broadband, as it would result in a substantial saving. However, Eircom are obstructing this move. They have declined Smart Telecoms request to transfer the line from Talk Talk to Smart. Both Smart Telecom and Eircom have informed me to I must first switch my call service back to Eircom nad then switch to Smart. I have no desire under any cirumstances to become an Eircom customer, and also each transfer will take about two weeks. Eircom have informed me that this is the process to be followed as agreed with Comreg. Smart Telecom have also informed me that Eircom will also refuse the Broadband transfer if a Broadband signal is still on the line, which means terminating my existing Broadband Service and waiting a minimum of 2 weeks without Broadband - which I cannot do as I require it for work. This is an intolerable situation, in which I am being forced to move service to a company which I do not want to be with, and also being forced into being without my broadband service for at least a fortnight, which I can't do as my wife uses it for work.

This is bloody ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

You have my sympathies for what it is worth. I had this exact problem when I attempted to transfer to Smart from UTV with whom I had bb and line rental. All I can say to you is that Smart have been worth it so far!

However expect lots of trauma along the way even if things go right for you. It ultimately took an email to the Eircom CEO to get any sort of movement on mine.

Steps you will have to go through:

Months notice to Esat. When bb is cancelled by Esat make sure you get your cessation number as Smart cannot process the order without that. (this was the most difficult part for me as UTV appear to have delayed actually canceling the wholesale order with Eircom and Eircom were seeking a second cancellation order etc etc)

You have to to get Eircom to open a new telephony account for you as you will also need this account number for smart to be able to progress your order. People have complained that Eircom are reluctant to give out a new account number over the phone but luckily(?) I got a bill from them fairly quickly which gave me the number.

A prescription for valium is essential and good luck if you decide to make the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 4 8 15 16 23 42

Cheers for the advice. Can I ask how long were you without broadband for? I can't really afford any time down, but I may be able to put up with a short time. By the way whats the eircom CEOs email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Would you not just get Wireless?Is it available near you?
    Then you can get rid of the phone line altogether and use VOIP

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

agreed with Comreg.

So is it not actually comregs fault???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

By the way whats the eircom CEOs email address?
    Eircom's public face, commercial director David McRedmond, has his contact details at the bottom left of this link.
    David assured me that he welcomes critical comment and discussion.

P.

Advertisement