Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WAG354G

• 11-11-2005 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one of these in the Argos sale.

Is it any good? Does anyone out there have one?

I'm using Bt broadband and would like to be able to read mails and surf from downstairs?

<edit>This might be better suited to the Net/Comms board?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kazujo wrote:
    Thinking of getting one of these in the Argos sale.

Is it any good? Does anyone out there have one?

I'm using Bt broadband and would like to be able to read mails and surf from downstairs?

<edit>This might be better suited to the Net/Comms board?

A couple of people have posted on here recently that they are using this model with Smart and that it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how much is this router in the argos sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

It's selling for €100 with a WUSB54G wireless adapter seems to be a really good deal

I like Cisco stuff so I thought it would be good but I've read reviews about it having bad range and dropping connections.

Argos also have Cable & wireless and Belkin bundles for the same price it's in "The Big Book of Christmas" catalogue

might pick one of these up in argos i take it will work with laptops that have built in wireless? (sorry i suck when it comes to wireless and networking and routers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i have it and it works a treat...so far, with esat bt

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    might pick one of these up in argos i take it will work with laptops that have built in wireless? (sorry i suck when it comes to wireless and networking and routers)

Yep no problem.

RuggieBear wrote:
    i have it and it works a treat...so far, with esat bt

How long have you had it?

I was all set to get it until I read the back reviews. What sort of range do you get from it?

Kazujo wrote:
    How long have you had it?

I was all set to get it until I read the back reviews. What sort of range do you get from it?

about 3weeks
    well i've got a centrino laptop with 11mbs card innit about 25ft and 2 wooden doors away from the router and it works fine.

what reviews btw?

Some here on Broad band buyer

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2233

Has a fair number of reviews alot of them bad :(

But I pay more heed to comments from Boards

Kazujo wrote:
    Some here on Broad band buyer

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2233

Has a fair number of reviews alot of them bad :(

But I pay more heed to comments from Boards

In general I think wireless routers seem to be pretty unpredictable and you pays your money and takes you chances - there are as many good reviews on that link for the 354g as there are bad. I have seen lots of bad reviews for the wag54g which is mentioned there yet I never had any problems with it. There are loads of bad reviews around on the net about netgear stuff too and yet other people swear by them. I have had both good and bad experiences with Netgear:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    In general I think wireless routers seem to be pretty unpredictable and you pays your money and takes you chances - there are as many good reviews on that link for the 354g as there are bad. I have seen lots of bad reviews for the wag54g which is mentioned there yet I never had any problems with it. There are loads of bad reviews around on the net about netgear stuff too and yet other people swear by them. I have had both good and bad experiences with Netgear:rolleyes:
    i had a wag54g....biggest piece of **** ever....known issues with the wireless connection dropping and having to reconnect it manually every 10mins.

RuggieBear wrote:
    i had a wag54g....biggest piece of **** ever....known issues with the wireless connection dropping and having to reconnect it manually every 10mins.

Any yet I had one for ages - worked fine - passed it on to a friend of mine a while ago and he has not had any problems with it at all.

Cool, I think I'll go ahead and get it. Like everything else on the net there are soooo many opinions about the same thing and I think sometimes people are more likely to post about something being crap than being good.

I figured I get a straighter answer here (which I did)

dub45 wrote:
    Any yet I had one for ages - worked fine - passed it on to a friend of mine a while ago and he has not had any problems with it at all.

yep....i was just trying reinforce your point :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I've also been using a WAG54G in my (real) home with esat for ages now.
    Some initial setup problems, but fine ever since.

i got this today, and tried to use the instructions given with the router, but when i use the supplied cd it says that it cannot connect to the router. :S

back on the zyxel that BT provided as it's annoying me so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If I remember rightly they had some sort of easy setup on the cd for some of the irish isps. Simplest is to use the one for Eircon and then modify it for user name and password.

Perhaps it might help.

machalla wrote:
    If I remember rightly they had some sort of easy setup on the cd for some of the irish isps. Simplest is to use the one for Eircon and then modify it for user name and password.

Perhaps it might help.
    yeh i used eircoms settings (only one there) but when it tries to update the router with these settings it says cannot connect to router check all cables yadda yadda

just fixed it now, just used the reset function on the back of the router and then reconfigured using the CD.

god damm i hate routers and their complexity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RedBelly

I’m considering buying the wag354g. I’ve seen people saying that you can’t operate VPN with this modem/router. does anyone know if that means I won’t be able to connect to my work VPN through this modem/router ? does anyone connect successfully to a VPN through this ?

RedBelly wrote:
    I’m considering buying the wag354g. I’ve seen people saying that you can’t operate VPN with this modem/router. does anyone know if that means I won’t be able to connect to my work VPN through this modem/router ? does anyone connect successfully to a VPN through this ?

Technical specs are in this:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/datasheets/WAG354G-EMEA_ds.pdf

and the full product manual can be downloaded from here:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/WAG354G-EU_ug.pdfftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/WAG354G-EU_ug.pdfftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/WAG354G-EU_ug.pdfftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/WAG354G-EU_ug.pdf

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=764

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RedBelly

thanks.

“VPN Passthrough for IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP Protocols”

I don’t know much about these protocols, but I’ll take that as a yes.…

Advertisement