Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Floorboards for Underfloor Heating - Guide Prices, suggestions?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I'm installing underfloor heating and have yet to decide on what type of floor to place over it. It's either wood or tiles or a combination.

Can anyone tell me what a good guide price is per sq/m or sq/ft for purchase and installation of wooden floorboards suitable for underfloor heating.

I realise this is a borad question but any starting guidelines would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

my wife tells me that wooden floorboards are not recommended for underground heating. cuts down on efficiency or something like that. she also says that she was told to cut down on warping that a new cross ply wood is best. she tried to explain what that was but i fell asleep.......

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Don't think a timber floor would be ideal for underfloor heating as it's an insulator for 1 and the heaters are underfloor. Something like tiles would take longer to heat up but keep the heat much longer.
    I also think they will twist and warp too much for they to be practible.
    I don't know that much about underfloor heating but they're my ideas on it anyway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Timber flooring will not have an issue with UFH, I know a number of people who have installed UFH and then timber flooring, they recommended not to use solid wood but semi solid is very suitable.

Of the people I know they have not had any issues with warping or heat blocking.

We are laying a 12mm semi-soild in the house on UFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Thanks all,

Yop's right, there isn't a problem with wooden floors and UDH as long as you choose a wood that won't warp. From what I gather this means expensive (or am I wrong?) What ype of semi-spolid did you use yop? What other options did you consider? how expensive per sq/m or sq/ft? Any tips appreciated.

Advertisement