Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netopia Cayman 3300 and Linksys WRTG54G Conflict

• 11-11-2005 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I have both of the above but The cayman 3300 isn't accessible through the wireless router.
    What should I do now?
    maybe upgrade the netopia modem firmware?but where will I find it?

Thanks,
    Hakko.

P.S. Sorry for the rushed post..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Exactly what do you mean it isn't accessible? (Can you ping it?)
    Off the top of my head.. router+router .. Well, firstly make sure the IP address/masks,etc. are correct and present; and secondly, ensure that NAT is turned off on a (the wireless) router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

What do you mean "ping"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'll turn off nat on the router. Also where will I get the IP address's and masks? whats all that?

Cable connection to the router, and enter the IP addy via your browser..

• Advertisement

It's a linksys wireless router..

What IP address will I enter and in what field of the setup?

C'mon lads,
    This is drivin me mad!

How to I get the WRTG54G to link to to cayman 3300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hakko,

Post more info. Are you trying to connect them wirelessly or via wire? What physical connections have you made? Into what ports? What settings are you using?

You say it isn't working. How do you know? What are you using to test the connection?

Zab.

i've finally got it to work.
    The modem is connected to the router via a ethernet cable then my laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. I have got the internet net but I have to plug the modem into one of the ports numbered 1 to 4. If i plug it into the internet socket the internet light comes on but I cant connect to the internet..
    Also does the IP address of the wifi router and bb modem have to be the same e.g. 192.168.1.1 or can they be different..

Thanks,
    Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Each device needs a unique IP. eg: 192.168.1.1 for the Cayman 192.168.1.2 for the wrt and 192.168.5 for your laptop

I'm not overly familiar with the wrt54g but does it not act as a broadband modem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Kazujo wrote:
    I'm not overly familiar with the wrt54g but does it not act as a broadband modem?

Nope its a wireless router only. No modem. It has a 4 port ethernet hub and a connection for an ethernet modem.

Hakko your life may be being made more complicated by the Netopia acting as a router itself. Ideally you want to switch off the router functionality of one of the two routers. Since I assume you are looking to set up a wireless network I would suggest seeing if you can set the netopia to work in gateway mode. I believe this will switch off the router functionality in the Netopia and allow the WRT54g to be the only router in the system.

Your current set up should work but its not ideal, and you may find some quirky behaviour. Its probably too complex a set up for what you are trying to achieve.

Networkwise your current set up is like this.

ADSL Line
    |
    Netopia
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | | WRT54G
    | | | |_ _| |
    | | | wired & wireless ethernet
    ethernet
    (wired)

Ideally (in my world)

You should have this

ADSL Line
    |
    Netopia
    | | | |
    X X X |
    WRT54G
    |
    wired & wireless ethernet

If the WRT54G is new I would consider exchanging it for a Wireless router + adsl modem like the WAP54G (I think thats the right model) or the Dlink ADSL 604+ (again that model no is off the top of my head).

If you do the above then you can throw away the netopia and just run your wireless network and adsl modem with one box.

If some kind soul can tell you how to put the Netopia into gateway/modem mode I can post jpegs of how my WRT54G is set up with my Dlink ADSL modem.

I'm back.. I came home today and the mother had reset the modem. I cant remember how I set up the bridgin last time.. I have gone to expert mode > advanced and gone to the ethernet bridge page. When I enable bridging on port under the " PPP over Ethernet vcc1 (WAN) " category I cant access the internet at all .. Is anybody familiar with the netopia modem in question? I feel really stupid for having to post on here again but you can be sure that when it is up and running I will be printing out the whole configuration page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Put netopia to bridge, linksys to do PPoE authentication and away you go, may need a crossover to get the Netopia to work on the WAN port of the Linksys as it seems it doesn't have a MDIx capible port

Where exactly on the configuration page do I select bridge, anyone? and which port is the WAN port? would it be the internet port? I will still need the netopia to authenticate because I have a desktop (No ethernet card) o n the net using USB through the netopia and this setup WAS working perfect before.. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Net card costs €10 in Maplins or the like, get yourself one and you have problem sorted.

Advertisement