Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus BB issues

• 11-11-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I got Chorus cable bb in yesterday, for now it's great, it's knocked about 30% off my ping time.
    eg, pinging eircom.net comes in at 40ms, where it used to be 58ms avg.
    €35 for 1MB/256.
    The only problems are
    1/ the Motorolla 'router' (SB5101E -uk)is not a router(it has routing capabilities but its disabled by chorus)
    So I have a ethernet modem that port forwards my PC onto the internet.
    http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=400

Cant add more computers without setting up routing seperately
    Chorus dont offer any other modems/routers
    2/ When I rang them, they first told me the modem doesn't support it, and eventually that a 'wireless' router would solve all my problems?
    I pointed out to them that the modem supports 32 dhcp leases, and they told me that they dont sell IP addresses? After two more people telling me I was wrong/mistaken someone eventually told me that they had problems with the DHCP and so disabled it.

Apart from the lack of any real IT support though, the line is great

I am a bit miffed about the disabled routing in the modem, but I'll live
    Can anyone recommend a good stand alone router? cheapish?
    Dont fancy having a routing PC on all day just so everyone can use the net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

fatmander wrote:
    I got Chorus cable bb in yesterday, for now it's great, it's knocked about 30% off my ping time.
    eg, pinging eircom.net comes in at 40ms, where it used to be 58ms avg.
    €35 for 1MB/256.
    The only problems are
    1/ the Motorolla 'router' (SB5101E -uk)is not a router(it has routing capabilities but its disabled by chorus)
    So I have a ethernet modem that port forwards my PC onto the internet.
    http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=400

Cant add more computers without setting up routing seperately
    Chorus dont offer any other modems/routers
    2/ When I rang them, they first told me the modem doesn't support it, and eventually that a 'wireless' router would solve all my problems?
    I pointed out to them that the modem supports 32 dhcp leases, and they told me that they dont sell IP addresses? After two more people telling me I was wrong/mistaken someone eventually told me that they had problems with the DHCP and so disabled it.

Apart from the lack of any real IT support though, the line is great

I am a bit miffed about the disabled routing in the modem, but I'll live
    Can anyone recommend a good stand alone router? cheapish?
    Dont fancy having a routing PC on all day just so everyone can use the net

It will be a rare company that you will find that will give you multiple public IP Addresses on the modem.
    Just because the hardware supports it doesnt mean they will have it turned on.
    They may enable it if they offer a business package for more than one machine but as with most providers the NAT'ing is up to you.

I find most of the router products from Linksys or Netgear are reliable and stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Thanks Jumpy,
    Didn't mean that I was lookin to have multiple public IP's, I couldn't care less what public ip I have.

I was talkin about chorus 'selling me' an 'all in one' router/modem.
    They sold me a router/modem but have disabled the routing, thus it is a modem.
    The model they supply supports it own dhcp server, but chorus have disabled it.
    Because of that(and because there is 5 diff PC users here) I have to go and buy a seperate 'router' or leave a PC 'router' with 2 nics on all the time so everyone can use the net
    will have a look at linksys and netgear stuff

btw, Chorus here aren't offering a business package
    1 package to rule them all

fyi, Netsource will give you 4 public static IP addresses on 3MB/256up for approx €85+vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It sort of depends on if they sold it to you or if the router still belongs to them.

Advertisement