Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Blaster99 wrote:
    You'll be glad to know that mail.clearwire.ie is far from reliable. They had a half-day outage on it the other day.

wonderful...this just gets better and better.
    Why the hell are they blocking email????????????
    What next..you are not allowed browse the web....just give us lots of money and thanks.

I'm actually surprised they havent blocked access to this site so we can't complain about them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

eth0_ wrote:
    YES they are. They are abysmal. I have no idea why a minority of people have no problems and get <100ms pings, while everyone else gets pings over over 1000ms, unusable VOIP/VPN/p2p and can't even stream basic, lo-fi web radio, but CLEARWIRE SHOULD! They clearly don't have the expertise and knowledge to run an ISP, or they'd have fixed the latency issues at the very least.

Again. Ineptitude and lack of knowledge on their part is not my fault, I don't care if they're "working hard", they've allegedly been "working hard" for three weeks now and their service is still woeful. I'm paying them 45 euro a month for an unstable, unusable connection. When have BT or Eircom or Smart or whoever ever had problems that have lasted THREE WEEKS? Never, that I can recall. Because they employ people who know what they're doing.

Yes, it is. Believe me. If they were doing things properly, change requests would be submitted, they would have a test network to test configuration changes BEFORE rolling them out on their production servers/routers/switches etc - and they certainly wouldn't roll out changes in the middle of the day, with no warning to customers - everything would be documented so if something *did* go wrong, they *could* roll back the changes.

As for the people saying "Oh, but their tech support are so nice and friendly!" - yes it is nice to have courteous staff, but I would far prefer staff who are technical and who can FIX PROBLEMS.

I have to agree. If you pay for your car to get serviced and they fix one problem but cause 5 more you would not be happy and not pay them. If you bought a new TV and it only recieved 1 channel you would get your money back. I do feel a bit of sympathy as they are a new company and it will inevitably have teething problems but they sould be testing changes localy not network wide and until they find a fix to these problems they should put the network back to the way it was a month ago and make sure they apply their fixes properly tested before it is put across the entire network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

And I am all for them doing the best to ensure network integrity, that goes with out saying. But my major gripe is that something was changed on Wednesday between 3am, and 2pm. This has disrupted my service.
    Am experiencing the exact same thing. At the moment, I cannot connect to any external ftp servers which run over anything other than the standard port 21. Up until Wednesday night, I ad no problems whatsoever. I manage to connect to a server for 2 seconds, it seems to accept my username, and then times out all the time without even giving me a directory listing.

I've been reading through this entire thread, and I have to say, this ClearWire service really seems to be falling apart. I was singing their praises initially, and got many friends to sign up with them. If they keep going the way they are at the moment though, then they're certainly gonna lose a lot of customers very quickly. The idea of restricting p2p traffic is all very well and good, but it is not acceptable to block it entirely. They specify a 10 Gb cap per month for their 1 Mbps service, and 20 Gb per month on their 2 Mbps service. If a user doesn't exceed this by too much, then they have no right to limit what they can and cannot access.
    What's next? They're already throttling torrents etc. VoIP seems to have gone to ****e, WoW gamers seem to be getting a hard time, video and audio streaming is terrible, and now ftp is also being black-listed from their network.

What exactly are they trying to achieve? The mention nothing in their terms and conditions about restricting access to certain sites/protocols. If this is the approach they're now going to adopt, then I for one will be packing my bags and leaving the ClearWire network. It's a real shame, as they were offering an excellent service thus far....

I do feel a bit of sympathy as they are a new company and it will inevitably have teething problems but they sould be testing changes localy not network wide and until they find a fix to these problems they should put the network back to the way it was a month ago and make sure they apply their fixes properly tested before it is put across the entire network.
    When I initially got the modem, I asked the sales agent about their service, and how it compared to IBB and other wireless providers etc. He assured me that they were nothing like other providers. That they had done extensive testing on their network for 2 years before they went live in this country, and that they would be offering an unrestricted and reliable service to all users. In fairness, they've only been live since October, and look at how many problems they're having already!! What were they doing for these supposed 2 years of testing I wonder?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

The WoW and FTP problems sound very similar, i get a slight delay (on WoW) and then it moves to authenticating and then times out.

I am going to ring now and try and speak to a manager or someone. I feel like I could have fixed the problem by now myself.

• Advertisement

I am going to ring now and try and speak to a manager or someone. I feel like I could have fixed the problem by now myself.
    Forget about it DamoVOTF. I called earlier and spoke to someone about the problem. I don't think he even worked for ClearWire. He kept me if I had a "Wire" product... He just took my details and said I'd be called back by someone from "Wire" on Monday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Like i said earlier, if you get through to the people that dont have a clue, hang up and try again. Its an overflow center

Yeah got some crappy waiting queue, so thought fook that for the same message again.

CLEARWIRE GET A CLUE, DISABLE PORT SHAPING UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

sisyphus wrote:
    When I initially got the modem, I asked the sales agent about their service, ...
    What were they doing for these supposed 2 years of testing I wonder?!!!

You listened to a salesperson??? :o :rolleyes: ;)

In their defense, it's not easy to simulate rollout conditions on a test network, unless you deploy hundreds of test client sites in advance.

Sounds like over-enthuasism on behalf of their sales dept. coupled with lack of communication with their tech people, and over-optimistic ideas of how much contention is bearable.

You know if you look at corporate sites where there is just HTTP and maybe some FTP allowed, you can get hundreds of people on a relatively small amount of bandwidth, but if you let other services in, like anything that uses UDP or numerous connections, then it drastically reduces the number of users you can have, and providing it over wireless reduces this again. There's no easy way to balance cheapness with good quality on a wireless service, especially in a high density urban area, because the necessary amount of bandwidth over the air is just not available.

Can someone try www.wow-europe.com/en and tell me if they get through. Another thing since wednesday is that this connection is now very patch. i.e. times out a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I just tried with my Irish Broadband connection and I can't get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

DamoVOTF wrote:
    Can someone try www.wow-europe.com/en and tell me if they get through. Another thing since wednesday is that this connection is now very patch. i.e. times out a lot.

if its any help its not working on NTL too

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

blaster and drapper what about Steam? I doubt it but worth a look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Steam is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 twentyfive

Hi
    Can anybody login in to testyourvoip.com with Clearwire at the moment, how about anybody using voipbuster, do you get any audio, mine doesn't as well as there is no P2P communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

twentyfive wrote:
    Hi
    Can anybody login in to testyourvoip.com with Clearwire at the moment, how about anybody using voipbuster, do you get any audio, mine doesn't as well as there is no P2P communication.

testyourvoip is down:
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, testyouripvideo@brixnet.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.12 Server at mercury.brixnet.com Port 80

Nothing to do with Clearwire.

Not at home today so can't check myself, but I assume everything is still all fecked up on Clearwire despite the promises that everything would be sorted by Monday morning at the latest?

i'm guessing this too, can anyone lucky enough to be at home at the moment confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

still buggered

glad to see they pay their staff to do a good job \o/

ahem... monkeys beating routers and switches with sledgehammers comes to mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ITguy

I confirm, network is still down ... well most services we need does not work, so I`m sending email today that Im leaving ... moving back to eircom.

phone line on its way, DSL coming not too far behind, now to find a clearwire employee to beat to a bloody pulp :D

Just home now so an update:

Online gaming working (COD and COD2)
    Yahoo chat working
    Sending mail from GMail via Thunderbird working

None of these have been working since last wednesday so things are improving again.

Just a matter of time I guess until they screw it all up again.

Holy christ, WoW is working again.

Well done Clearwire, but took you long enough.

I wonder if they took my advice to roll back?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Wasnt working at 6:30.....

And now that its fixed, my line has degraded to 50kbps again.....

So when they block the ports, i get 700k-1.3M and when they dont i get less than modem speed......

Anyone else on the guiness mast?

B

2.11Mbps down here in Bray at the moment.

And guess what...(whisper it now in case they are watching) P2P is also working

That IrishIspTest was done while using BitComet.

None of these have been working since last wednesday so things are improving again.

Just a matter of time I guess until they screw it all up again.

Hurray, my connection is back to normal now again! Experienced the exact same problems. Total ****e connection since last Wednesday and now back to normal again. Let's hope things stay this way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ITguy

huh ... lucky you. Lineage 2 still can not even run update due to blocked ports, Guild Wars has problem with connection to ArenaNET :)
    Anyway I sending back tommorow modem. If I would do my IT job as this people I would be f... unemployed. Wish you all good p2p transfers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

still slow ass media downloads and no hi-fi streaming...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Looks like Skype is back in action too.

Advertisement