Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Same old Same old.
    I'm now looking into Chorus broadband. I'd rather stay away from DSL until Smart get into Naas [Garfield???]

*EDIT* Does not bode well for Christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This fecking sucks...it will probably be screwed all christmas now. What a joke.

Anyone know what time their support are open until todayt if at all? Ikeep getting through to the overflow people who are worse than useless.

Yup. I'll give it until mid January then drop them to go to Chorus. This will be my 4th change in 12 months. Ireland is not the best place for broadband at the moment.

With Chorus, I can get 3Mb:512Kb for the same price as my 2Mb:256K Clearwire. I really don't want to quit them, but if they give me know choice...

Ludo wrote:
    Anyone know what time their support are open until todayt if at all? Ikeep getting through to the overflow people who are worse than useless.

As far as I know, the main support finish at 5pm. I could be wrong. It's overflow until the next morning. Having said that, I don't think the main support work weekends.

Just onto their support centre again (they are open tonite and tomorrow..skeleton staff so had to hang up on the overflow crowd a few times)...my latency issue has been escalated to senior technicians...wonderful.

Apparently they are working tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. Told them I will be quitting if this is not sorted by new years at the very latest and permanently (well within reason..obviously a days outage is to be expected..this is Ireland after all).

Looks like it could be a very boring christmas day thanks to Clearwire.

To rib salt into my wounds, they took a direct denit yesterday for my first two months...can't tell you how annoyed I was when I saw that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Line is now crap. Wow is ridiculous. However everything web wise seems to be fine.....

Are they messin with ports again?

Just back after spending christmas with the family. After that I need a fix of random violence...some hope with Clearwire...gaming still fecked up.
    Is anyone else trying to play Call of Duty 1 or 2 on Clearwire? If so is it working for ye?

Thanks.

Ludo wrote:
    Just back after spending christmas with the family. After that I need a fix of random ...some hope with Clearwire...gaming still fecked up.
    Is anyone else trying to play Call of Duty 1 or 2 on Clearwire? If so is it working for ye?

Thanks.

Steam is still messed up for me.

Now, I just want to get my facts correct before I start blaming either Clearwire or my new Blueface WRT ATA. I've been having a significant amount of connection drops [not packet loss but actuall loss in connection] since around the time that I installed my new wireless ATA router. At first I thought that it might just be wireless interference so I connected one of my computers up via CAT5. However, EVERY day and at least 5 or 6 times a day, I get losses of connection to the internet. They only last for about a second at a time but AOL IM, MSN IM, xFire, VoIP ALl disconnect on all computers at the same time.

A very easy way of pinpointing the problem is to ask the Clearwire community. Have any of you noticed MSN IM or any other IM program disconnecting and reconnecting again on a regular basis? It's really freaking me out.

If it's just the WRT, grand, I can send that back for a replacement. But I would rather know where the fault lies first.

Easy way to prove it is ClearWire issue is just plug their modem straight into your pc removing the wireless router from the equation and see if the problem still exists. That what I do whenever they screw up. I also turn off my firewall for a little while to prove that it isn't causing any dodgey behaviour.

All their engineers are on holiday but will be back tomorrow apparently...just rang them again.

Hmmmmmm, I wouldn't be happy connecting directly to clearwire without a firewall. I'll see what I can do though.

• Advertisement

Yeah..I only turn off the firewall very briefly to check that it isn't the problem and restart it. It is not a good idea to do this long term obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Last night I tried to download a 60MB Ableton live file from a server in the states, it started at 200kb/s, and within 10 mins had gone down to less than 5kb/s. I had downloaded it in work earlier and was getting >200kb/s.

Why the F*CK would you traffic shape a SMALL DOWNLOAD? 60MB is *SMALL*, clearwire!

THe term 'network nazi' is perfect for these jokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hmmmmmm, I wouldn't be happy connecting directly to clearwire without a firewall. I'll see what I can do though.

Neither would I. I don't trust the security of their 'network' after the time I logged on directly though the modem and could see other clearwire users' iTunes playlists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

eth0_ wrote:
    Neither would I. I don't trust the security of their 'network' after the time I logged on directly though the modem and could see other clearwire users' iTunes playlists.

Free Music? I'm sure once their upload bandwith is taken away by everybody streaming from their system they realise what they have done.

But back to the main topic "ClearWire in ****e tonight?!". Since 2 weeks now the only thing that sporadicly not work is Skype (and than I don't even think it's Clearwires fault).

VoIP runs fine since I use a Grndstream GPX2000 instead of Softphone (G729 modus for all my providers).

MSN works fine for both the 7.5 and the new live (surprisingly).

Surfing is a joy (specially since I use cfos speed and I utilize my upload correctly).

Streaming Windows media (and believe me I do heavy US Video streams about Football now that the bowl season is on) works fine. It takes a couple of seconds to get the stream started, especialy if there is an authentication required in Media Player. Streaming Real Media is however a little dogy once in a while only bringing modem quality.

VPN connections into the office work fine with the modifications they have done for my line.

So whatever they have done in Swords (or to my connection) is working out fine for me.

The only thing they should improve on is:
    • Traffic Meter so that one knows how far in the allowance one is
    • BIlls when they take the fee from the CC because I need bills

So overall, a couple of bad weeks (4) and at least I am back to normal.

Now I hope the rest of you are getting as lucky as me than!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I tried playing Call of Duty 2 online last night using Clearwire and even though the pings were under 50 when I connected after about 2 minutes gameplay it was just freezing and showing pings of 999???

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

pings of 999!!! ah yes that looks familiar. Pings of 999 in CS:Source but i'm fairly sure it's at 999 because CS:Source doesn't show higher than 999. When I popped out of CS:Source and viewed the latency in Steam a nice ping of 2560 was shown for the fastest server.

That's no once off either, that's what i've had to put up with for four weeks. Good for 1 hour then bang pings of 999, good night online gaming.

Yup, same for me in steam. Score page shows 999 ping but netgraph in game shows anywhere betweem 2000 and 3000.

MSN is gone again. There was a very small [1 second] internet "outage" and MSN never came back. I'll check my BT account soon to see if it's just Clearwire

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Might use dial up on my new Telco line, as I don't think the following could be called 'broadband' right now.

Speed Test on www.irishisptest.com

Download: 49 Kbps
    Upload: 10 Kbps

Pings of 2950 in CS Source :D
    VOIP being raped
    Surfing -- took 10 minutes to open boards (I kid you not, have a look at pings and tracert below)
    MSN took 5 attempts to login, took it 15 minutes in the end to get in...:mad:

C:\Documents and Settings\***** clearwire>ping www.boards.ie -t

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=1461ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=1388ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=1338ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=1856ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1321ms, Maximum = 1856ms, Average = 1535ms
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Documents and Settings\***** clearwire>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1338 ms 1296 ms 1112 ms 85.134.128.3
    2 986 ms 1070 ms 1170 ms fe-0-0-0_0.bdr002.dublin.clearwire.ie [85.134.25
    5.12]
    3 969 ms 1028 ms 1087 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    4 877 ms 813 ms 1034 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    5 852 ms 859 ms 1012 ms boards.ie [82.195.136.250]

Trace complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm amazed the rest of you stuck it out with these clowns so long. I'm currently on a 4Mb Metro line - it's a joy to behold after three or so months with ClearWire. Pings are rarely over 20ms to Irish servers, I spent a night playing a lovely smooth bit of CS while downloading at ~300k/s at the same time, 4 VoIP phones going through the same line, and all this on what the installation engineer called a low signal.

I'm debating whether or not to hold on to the ClearWire modem to use it as a frisbee for its sins...

Bumping this up as it as Clear****e still sucks. My issues have been "escalated" for 2 weeks now and no progress. Hopefully people who are thinking of getting Clear****e will see this thread and go with some other provider.
    By the way Sico, the only reason I have stuck it out this long is that they are the only BB option for me. However, the old free ISP I used to use was better for gaming which says it all really. They have 48 hours as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement

rd wrote:
    I wonder if Clearwire will be about in 6 months? Thats the question?

I sure hope so. We need more broadband competition. It just has to work.

I am in a state of shock...Clear****e have called me back for the first time ever!

They then tried to blame the P2P that I have currently running for all my gaming trouble. I dont think so as the gaming hasnt worked for over 2 weeks and I only use P2P (slow as it is) after trying to game.

Still, at least it is progress of a kind.

Are there others with gaming issues or is it just me? If there are others, have ye reported it to them?

Ludo wrote:
    I am in a state of shock...Clear****e have called me back for the first time ever!
    I'm still waiting for a reply to the 3 or 4 emails I sent over the last 2 or 3 weeks and a return phone call that should have come in before 5pm today. This will be crunch week as far as I'm concerned. It needs to be fixed or it's gone. I can no longer afford to keep both Clearwire AND BT Ireland. One of them is going this week and so far it's 50:50. Gaming on Clearwire : BT billing and not being able to get through to BT cust care AT ALL. The first to resolve gets my business.
    Ludo wrote:
    They then tried to blame the P2P that I have currently running for all my gaming trouble. I dont think so as the gaming hasnt worked for over 2 weeks and I only use P2P (slow as it is) after trying to game.
    Pardon my Irish but B$%l@x. I don't run P2P at all and I have the same problems in gaming as the rest of you, using Steam. I KNOW it's a clearwire fault because gaming is fine via BT.
    Ludo wrote:
    Are there others with gaming issues or is it just me? If there are others, have ye reported it to them?
    Yes. I'd like to know who else out there has gaming troubles. If it's only the two of us, then I'd tend not to put too much pressure on Clearwire. Having said that, I cannot understand how it's not 100% their fault as everything is fine via BT.

Finally got a call back from Clearwire, after I had to ring them again this morning.

I was effectively told that my gaming issue has been escalalted to their network guys and they would look into it.

Now the reason I believe I was brushed off is that I originally told them of this problem about 2 months ago and also so many others are having the same problem.

I refuse to believe that my case yesterday / today is the first they heard of it.

For this reason, I believe that they are NOT taking it seriously and are not going to resolve the issue any time soon.

This is not good enough. If either of the two good clearwire guys are reading this, gimme a call to talk about it. The reasons I'm being given are just ot good enough and if true, are alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I was impressed with clearwire at the start but due to the restricted nature of the service they offer I will be advising anyone who asks me to recommend a BB supplier not to go with Clearwire. I hope they read these forums. I was duped into signing up because I thought I was getting a broadband internet connection. I want P2P.

BUMP

Dec 21st I reported that gaming was not working on Clearwire. It is now the 10th Jan and gaming STILL ISN't WORKING.

This is crap. Under no circumstances should anyone even consider subscribing to clearwire at the moment.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tried using it tonight. not working. something tells me its the weather. Im getting 3 bars but pings of over 2000 to boards.ie. Irishisptest im getting 60kbps down and 17kbps up! Havent been able to voip in ages. This is ridiculous. Got an email telling me about the refer a friend program. Wont be doing that. I rang the rep who signed me up and told him im not going to refer anybody. Lovely guy, feel sorry for him trying to sell this product. I dont want it, i dont want to let anyone i know get it. Clearwire need to sort themselves out ASAP before they have to let all their staff go, because thats the way theyre going.

Getting 1.82Mbps down from irishisptest.com and 209 kbps up so weather not affecting this for me. It is just gone to crap for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

antodeco wrote:
    I rang the rep who signed me up and told him im not going to refer anybody.

I did refer three friends before I found out about the issues with p2p. Simply because they signed up within a week of me getting it and I was told that it was possible to download (I work in a place that sells the clearwire box)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

antodeco wrote:
    Tried using it tonight. not working. something tells me its the weather. Im getting 3 bars but pings of over 2000 to boards.ie. Irishisptest im getting 60kbps down and 17kbps up! Havent been able to voip in ages. This is ridiculous. Got an email telling me about the refer a friend program. Wont be doing that. I rang the rep who signed me up and told him im not going to refer anybody. Lovely guy, feel sorry for him trying to sell this product. I dont want it, i dont want to let anyone i know get it. Clearwire need to sort themselves out ASAP before they have to let all their staff go, because thats the way theyre going.

How to get rid of a unwanted friend program more likely!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least they have a sense of humor to be starting such a programm! Very innovative unlike their product!

Advertisement