Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IrishTLR wrote:
    They are well within their rights to block P2P if it has a hugely negative impact on THEIR network.

That's why they have caps. It just shows what a joke they are that they throttle ports left right and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I got clearwire in a few months ago and i have to say it was really good. I was with IBB before so anything was better than them i guess.
    I dont play that many online games so dont care if they block ports etc for that. But in the last week the have been blocking some(not all) torrents that i have downloaded(new 24 eps are a no go, they are blocking me from the sites that i get them off like torrentspy etc). I have a vpn connection to work and when i use that i can get the files so i know its the clearwire connection thats blocking the torrents and torrent websites. Anyone else had this prob with torrents and torrent sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

BLocking torrent sites??? Surely this is not covered by their terms and conditions? I can understand them blocking P2P traffic itself (even though it is beginning to piss me off now as I cant play games either so I basically have a useless expensive service) but blocking individual sites is stupid.

What next...no boards.ie because we slag them off on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

smcgarr wrote:
    they are blocking me from the sites that i get them off like torrentspy etc)

Are you 100% sure that CW are blocking these sites? I have tried torrentspy just now and I can get to it fine. Are you sure that it was CW. Maybe the site was down for a short while.

Any other sites that you think that are being blocked? I'd be happy to test them here on both of my connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

as I said me and my mate have had torrents blocked, it surely can't be the sites, we tried a few different sites, and different torrent files, none of them worked! Its pretty shocking, looks like theyve gone and over-loaded their base stations, and now they need to cut back on bandwidth.

• Advertisement

jebuz wrote:
    as I said me and my mate have had torrents blocked, it surely can't be the sites, we tried a few different sites, and different torrent files, none of them worked! Its pretty shocking
    Well, I'm not too pushed on them blocking torrents as most of that is P2P. I'm more interested in if they are blocking access to actual websites. I doubt it.
    jebuz wrote:
    looks like theyve gone and over-loaded their base stations, and now they need to cut back on bandwidth
    Is this just a thoery of yours or do you have proof?

I do have it on authority, however, that CW are working pro-actively on the problem and hope to have resolution to everything soon. Please do not ask how I know, I would rather not say. As some of you know, I generally don't name drop.

Now, this is just my gut feeling and I haven't heard it from CW, but I would expect P2P not to change. As in, still be traffic shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

"I do have it on authority, however, that CW are working pro-actively on the problem and hope to have resolution to everything soon."

And you seriously believed them? I was told the exact same bull in November regarding Steam and VOIP. Told several times that an engineer had been personally assigned to me and would ring me with regular updates.

After 2 and a half months of having an engineer assigned to me and being 'prioritised' by clearwire I still have the same problems and was rang once.

Clearwire do not have the resources to handle the traffic they are trying to cater to, hence the awful service and hence the traffic shaping.

They need no defence, they launched an inefficient product that hadn't been adequately tested and couldn't keep up with the promises clearwire sales staff made. Don't expect anything more than the level of service they are giving in the states.

"I do have it on authority, however, that CW are working pro-actively on the problem and hope to have resolution to everything soon."

And you seriously believed them? I was told the exact same bull in November regarding Steam and VOIP. Told several times that an engineer had been personally assigned to me and would ring me with regular updates.

After 2 and a half months of having an engineer assigned to me and being 'prioritised' by clearwire I still have the same problems and was rang once.

Clearwire do not have the resources to handle the traffic they are trying to cater to, hence the awful service and hence the traffic shaping.

They need no defence, the launched and inefficient product that hadn't been adequately tested and couldn't keep up with the promises clearwire sales staff made.

Fair point. As far as my belief for them is at the moment, I would rather believe them but my pinch of salt is still with me. I have seen noticeable differences in my connection today in work and games. For the immediate, I just waiting on Ludo and maybe others to check their steam games over the next day or two, to make sure it's not just my connection that got 'prioritised' but the solution that they told me about was implemented and is on going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I see clearwire has gone back to be pretty ****e!

During the day pings of around 200ms to World Of Warcraft, at 4.30 ping rises to 500 by 5.30 it is generally 2000ms and unplayable. It generally gets better after an hour or two but that is peak play time.

Customer Support doesnt answer the phone either.

My question is there any other wireless services for those of us with no phone lines and who cant get one?

Dude, wireless is never going to be a good option if you're an online gamer. Why can't you get a phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

University Accomodation. Need I say more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

eth0_ wrote:
    Dude, wireless is never going to be a good option if you're an online gamer. Why can't you get a phone line?

And why is that exactly? Pray tell ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chaz wrote:
    And why is that exactly? Pray tell ....
    The horrendous packet loss and unpredictability of the latency that most providers are offering, and that includes Metro

Just able to check out the gaming situation now and COD2 works for the first time in a month. Stable pings at about 75/85. Hopefully they are beginning to sort this out finally.

Ludo wrote:
    Just able to check out the gaming situation now and COD2 works for the first time in a month. Stable pings at about 75/85. Hopefully they are beginning to sort this out finally.

Good news. Good news indeed. Steam HL2 is fine today too. It was also fine yesterday.

COD 1 doesnt work though for some reason...may be they havent got around to sroting the ports that uses yet as it is an oldish game at this stage.

Ludo wrote:
    BLocking torrent sites??? Surely this is not covered by their terms and conditions? I can understand them blocking P2P traffic itself (even though it is beginning to piss me off now as I cant play games either so I basically have a useless expensive service) but blocking individual sites is stupid.

What next...no boards.ie because we slag them off on here?

they are def blocking me from downloading torrent files from torrentspy,isohunt,mininova etc.
    I can get onto the sites but when i click on the torrent it just says"The connection was reset.The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." I'm using firefox but getting the same in IE6. When i dial in to my vpn in work on the same computer it works fine, can download no prob, so its def clearwire. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am already looking into getting another provider of bband, i live in monkstown so anyone know who's best in that area.

I just tried downloading a torrent file from torrentspy with the new seamonkey browser to see if any difference. Get this message

"Connection Interrupted The document contains no data.
    The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."

?????????????????????????:mad:

Last night I tried booking cinema tickets on my boyfriends powerbook, using Safari and then the Camino browser, on his clearwire connection. It would not go to the secure page for entering your credit card details.

I then successfully booked them on my own powerbook, using Camino on my Smart DSL.

So it looks like Clearsh*te might be blocking SSL now too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

In the last month Clearwire have charged me €69.98 for connection and the first month, and two separate charges of €29.99.

I wish they'd take the money when they were supposed to..Month by month!

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    So it looks like Clearsh*te might be blocking SSL now too!

Well I do SSL stuff on a daily basis, so I doubt it.

Hmmmm

about 30Kb download
    About 9Kb upload

All this since 2pm to now [3:20pm]

BT DSL is now in full operation.

*EDIT* CW pings from command line are also 3000+ms
    *EDIT2* Hmmm, as soon as my VoIP [G.729] call ended, everything returned to normal. Very strange.
    *EDIT3* Another VoIP call and we are back to high pings and low bandwidth. Very strange as my VoIP is QOS'd to use 20Kb max. More than enough for one, maybe two simultaneous calls.

Well, i couldn't take it anymore, just ordered NTL max 3 meg line. supposed to be ok in my area. cant be worse than clearwire, i need to have my torrents ;)

Only prob is the 40gig a month cap, anyone know if they really do this or can u go over 40gig?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

so far im quite happy with clearwire. have it in carlow, and we get pretty good speeds, as long as its not during peak hours (4pm-7pm). and wow works quite well most of the times. played it for 5 hours on sunday night, and was getting constant 200-300ms ping (perfectly playable).

although the signal dropped last night, and hasnt come back yet...

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hmmmm

about 30Kb download
    About 9Kb upload

All this since 2pm to now [3:20pm]

BT DSL is now in full operation.

I don't understand you at all. Seriously, why do you put up with Clearwire's atrocious, abysmal, utterly incompetent and unreliable service? Do you view Clearwire like a charity case, and give them 35 quid a month because you feel sorry for them?

The fact that you keep on your BT DSL is utterly perplexing. Why pay for two broadband connections when BT DSL is vastly superior?

Why keep holding out for Clearwire to become usable again? It's been over two months now since it went to the dogs, and I doubt it'll ever be as good as it was "pre-launch".

CLEARWIRE IS NOT BROADBAND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Hoodle wrote:
    In the last month Clearwire have charged me €69.98 for connection and the first month, and two separate charges of €29.99.

I wish they'd take the money when they were supposed to..Month by month!

Same here i recieved a bill from them for a account that is meant to be closed.... fokcing idiots.

Sent them a mail about and they said the money would be transfered back into my account again, ( So far nothing recieved from them ) and also last week friday i got another mail of them saying money is going to be taken out of my account what type of idiots are these.

Sent them such a mail ( collected all the mails ) sent that to them and told them bugger off.

Still haven't heard anything back from them that was last week, forwarded the mail again today.

Mac daddy wrote:
    Same here i recieved a bill from them for a account that is meant to be closed.... fokcing idiots.

Sent them a mail about and they said the money would be transfered back into my account again, ( So far nothing recieved from them ) and also last week friday i got another mail of them saying money is going to be taken out of my account what type of idiots are these.

Sent them such a mail ( collected all the mails ) sent that to them and told them bugger off.

Still haven't heard anything back from them that was last week, forwarded the mail again today.

I have been with clearwire for about 3 months now and have never been charged for anything, its part of the reason i never called them to complain about the crap service. So, should i expect them to charge me any day now or whats the story with them. i got the business line with them (2.5mb) and a router. You guys seem to be talking a lot about the weird way they bill people, so if any ideas let me know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Heard something quite interesting about the ClearWire network from quite a reliable source. Apparently each sector on their highsite (Which uses NextNet technology) can only pass a max of 3.5 Mbps download and 300-400 kbps upload at any given time.
    Has anyone any ideas if there is any truth in this? I can't find many sources online for NextNet technologies and their exact specs...

sisyphus wrote:
    Heard something quite interesting about the ClearWire network from quite a reliable source. Apparently each sector on their highsite (Which uses NextNet technology) can only pass a max of 3.5 Mbps download and 300-400 kbps upload at any given time.
    Has anyone any ideas if there is any truth in this? I can't find many sources online for NextNet technologies and their exact specs...

I find this very hard to believe. If it were true it would be VERY short sighted of ClearWire to obtain equipment with that limit.

And I'm 90% sure that when I was on their test phase, there was one day where my connection registered between 4 and 6Mb Down. There have been other times where I have seen between 400 and 600 Kb Up. Not sure if these happened on the same days.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    I don't understand you at all. Seriously, why do you put up with Clearwire's atrocious, abysmal, utterly incompetent and unreliable service? Do you view Clearwire like a charity case, and give them 35 quid a month because you feel sorry for them?

The fact that you keep on your BT DSL is utterly perplexing. Why pay for two broadband connections when BT DSL is vastly superior?

Why keep holding out for Clearwire to become usable again? It's been over two months now since it went to the dogs, and I doubt it'll ever be as good as it was "pre-launch".

CLEARWIRE IS NOT BROADBAND!

Yup, looks like you got me on that one. I must be a glutton for punishment :)

But I digress, My experiences obviousbly haven't been as bad as some/most/all of you. I DO get a decent broadband service off them most of the time. Granted, it's not perfect but what ISP out there is perfect?

I know some will say Eircom have the most reliable infrastructure in the country but they are the peoples enemy. I will NEVER side up with them.

I know that some people will say that NTL are probably the best, but only if you live in the few pockets [soon to be all/most of Dublin, Cork etc.] that they provide

Smart? Same as NTL but held back by Eircom [not available everywhere].

I have made a concious decision about a year or two ago to, as much as possible, always purchase things that I need from the local or small guy. Even if that means paying a small premium for it. It is worth it in the long run with the almost dedicated, one on one support you get. I have been burnt too many times by the big companies/corporations to easily trust them again.

I do actually believe in Clearwire. I have ALWAYS been able to get through to their support team, within normal business hours. I was never left waiting on hold for 40 minutes at a time. My bills are correct every month. They treat me like a person, not an account.

I am not saying that I will always stay with Clearwire. If they prove themselvs to be another IBB, then I'd drop them in a second. But so far, they have not. I have been through the ringer with IBB. I know what it was like and it looks like it hasn't changed.

*EDIT* You say BT DSL is vastly superior? I treat the product as a whole, which includes customer service. A few weeks ago, I made a bill enquiry. It took me 2 days and 5 hours of my time on hold. Eventually when I got through, it was a 2 minute conversation to resolve the matter. That is not service and it wasn't my first of such calls. I will NOT wait that long on hold in a support call. BT will be gone soon and I will stick with Clearwire or go with someone else.

Advertisement