Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Out of curiosity, where would we stand now that they are completely blocking P2P traffic when it is used ina "legal" application. I am thinking "Sky By Broadband" here which apparently used P2P to download the shows you request. This would explain why it doesnt work for me.

I wonder is there a way for them to allow this P2P specific traffic but block other traffic? I would imagine not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I would imagine not. Torrents can be used to download legit software and distro ISO but they are blocked too.

The problem is, so many people used P2P to download ilegal content then cry and winge when their ISP stops them doing it.

I tell ye, I laughed out loud when I heard about the court case between some of the Irish ISP's and the Irish music industry today. We all knew it was coming.

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hmmmm

about 30Kb download
    About 9Kb upload

All this since 2pm to now [3:20pm]

BT DSL is now in full operation.

*EDIT* CW pings from command line are also 3000+ms
    *EDIT2* Hmmm, as soon as my VoIP [G.729] call ended, everything returned to normal. Very strange.
    *EDIT3* Another VoIP call and we are back to high pings and low bandwidth. Very strange as my VoIP is QOS'd to use 20Kb max. More than enough for one, maybe two simultaneous calls.

I've done a bit more testing on this and the results are surprising. I have QOS set to reserve 20Kbps for VoIP. With this enabled, my ClearWire connection turns to dirt. When I disable QOS and make or take a VoIP call everything is fine.

So after 2 or 3 tests, it appears that it is not a ClearWire or Blueface problem but in fact an issue with my router. I'll conduct a few more tests to be sure. Should have a deffo result by next week. If it's the router, I'll just RMA it with Bluface and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

IrishTLR wrote:
    I've done a bit more testing on this and the results are surprising. I have QOS set to reserve 20Kbps for VoIP. With this enabled, my ClearWire connection turns to dirt. When I disable QOS and make or take a VoIP call everything is fine.

So after 2 or 3 tests, it appears that it is not a ClearWire or Blueface problem but in fact an issue with my router. I'll conduct a few more tests to be sure. Should have a deffo result by next week. If it's the router, I'll just RMA it with Bluface and get a replacement.

Try setting QOS to 200. It should be set to your upstream speed not your VOIP bandwidth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I would like to remind people thinking of signing up to Clearwire that in terms of length of contract and cancellation they probably have some of the worst terms and conditions anywhere. As per their conditions on their website the minimum sign up period is for 12 months (this at a time when virtually all other isps have moved to 6 months) and worst of all they require two months notice of cancellation prior to the end of the 12 month period or you are automatically renewed for a further 12 months.

Supposedly they were telling customers on the phone a while ago that this was all a mistake and that their legal people were holding things up and that it would be changed 'very soon' well its still there so be warned:eek:

23. Termination/Early Termination Fee. You shall maintain Service for the duration of any minimum Initial Term (as set forth on the Order Form). After any Initial Term, Service will automatically renew for additional consecutive one-year periods, unless terminated as provided in these Terms. You may terminate the Service at the end of the Initial Term or at the end of any renewal term, by contacting Clearwire’s Customer Care department as set forth at www.clearwire.ie and giving notice of termination at least sixty (60) days in advance of the next scheduled renewal date. If you terminate your Service for any reason or your Service is terminated by Clearwire for any violation of the Agreement prior to the end of the Initial Term, you will be liable for an early termination fee of $250, or such other early termination fee as may be specified on your Order Form. Upon termination of this Agreement, unless you purchased the Equipment as provided above, you will be responsible for the costs and risks associated with returning the Equipment to Clearwire. You must return the rented Equipment to Clearwire in good working order, reasonable wear and tear excepted, in accordance with Clearwire’s return policy set forth at www.clearwire.ie. If you do not immediately return the Equipment in good working order, Clearwire may charge your Card account for $300, which you agree is an appropriate charge in light of the value of the Equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I never had a problem cancelling and haven't heard anybody get charged for cancelling.

Having said that, i'll keep an eye on my credit card statement for a few months just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I have a question about the clearwire cap:
    afaik its 20gb but is this reset at the end of each month or from the date you got it?

As for the service itself, i'm in the carlow area on the 2mb package and can't have any complaints so far. Playing CS last night with pings in early 70's while anything i download usually ranges in the 250kb mark (even spiking to 400ish!!)

Yup, my connection has eased off a lot too. I think *some* of my problems were down to my QOS settings on my ATA/Router but not all. Everything seems to be fine for me know.

I would be interested in knowing my usage, like the BT DSL reports on line. Don't think Clearwire have them available yet. I'm posative that I am coming no where near my cap anyway, but it would be nice to be abe to check once in a while.

Ah sure, I'll ask them to se eif they have one yet.

Any luck with finding it out?? as it last day of month but still have bit of cap left so need to know if i can use it or save it :)

Not really, no. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've yet to hear of someone being cautioned or fined for going over their cap.

• Advertisement

It's pretty hard to break the limit when they ban P2P :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

with that ****er balkieb, you'd be surprised how quickly it goes :rolleyes:

(and he doesnt mind me insulting him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

They still have not refunded my money bunch of ****s a month and counting so far...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hopefully some good news on the clearwire end. Just speaking to their tech support there, and was advised that they have upgraded the guinness mast and should start seeing an improvment from today. Also told that they plan on upgrading the rest of their sites, and adding more in soon enough. hopefully this is the truth, and makes everything run a little nicer. Ill found out when I go home tonight. Oh joy of joys, please let it be working properly. Ill let you all know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well it finally happened, i just got 4 bills from clearwire and they are going to take it out of my account in the next day or so, 319.80 is a lot for a crap service. I rang to cancel the account and they say it will be an extra 120 euro to disconnect me.
    Rip off S**t Heads

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Antodeco - any change to your service?

Im on the Guiness mast too.....

Yup!!! :D well, so far so good. my download has gone from a max of 100kbps to 1.1mbps. yipee. Also my pings were usually around 350ms+ to boards.ie/ Now im getting an average of 55ms. I knows its still not perfect, but its a big improvement. If this the improvement they get from updating one mast, I wonder what will happen when the rest of the masts get done. Have u seen any improvement?

Also, on a seperate note, I have 2 laptops both connecting via a 3com router. 1 is running off 802.11g and the other 802.11b. The b one keeps losing signal. Any ideas?
    Thanks again,
    aNtOdEcO

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

No i have had no changes, even though i was told it would be fixed tommorow. Before hand i was warned that i was kind of between the two masts (they have added another to guiness to ease congestion)

so i assume im still on the old mast. Mailed them yesterday and they will look at it today.

I was only wondering in case they had been telling me fibs all along, but someone else on guiness thats had theyre issue resolved == good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

i emailed them the other day complaining about crappy speeds on my 2mb connection. got a reply saying they'd look into it monday. came home monday evening and the surfing speed was great. like proper broadband! (400k on irishisptest).... downloaded an mp3 at 30k. same as ever. home again now and the connection is back to it's normal level :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

BT in enjoying pings of 15-20 to CSS Servers in the UK. Cancelling DD to clearsh1te at lunch time today...

October-January on clearwire no service that could be referred to as broadband whatsoever!

- No VOIP
    - Pings in online games above 600 reaching 3000 at times
    - Pings to boards at 2500 on Sunday
    - Download speeds seemingly apalling for 4 months... between 0.1kbps and 25 kbps...
    - Constant traffic shaping!

Clearwire is not broadband... Good riddance...

FREE!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Clearwire is not broadband... Good riddance...

FREE!!! ;)

Congrats!

I find it really strange that some people like deconstruct have terrible times with clearwire while others (me included) have no real troubles with them...

I'll give a comparsion to deconstruct problems:

- No VOIP (same for me obviously)
    - Pings in online games above 600 reaching 3000 at times (play cs:s online to german servers with a ping ranging from 60-100)
    - Pings to boards at 2500 on Sunday (pings are generally same as above, about 50-100)
    - Download speeds seemingly apalling for 4 months... between 0.1kbps and 25 kbps... (only had it nearly a month now but speeds nearly always go between 150-300ish (with it generally being a constant 240 and even spiking towards 500kb accordin to d/u meter)

These can vary though during the peak hours during the day say 2-7 but normally busy then so doesn't bother me as much.

Which says to me they don't know how to manage their network, they don't know what they're doing.

If it was interference causing the problem they'd surely work this out in a matter of days. This abysmal service has been going on nearly five MONTHS.

If you have trouble with VOIP, just give them a ring. They have to activate it on your account. I asked them about the gaming issue. They told me that alot of games have monthly updates, so the network has trouble recognising the game as it keeps changing. I can understand that, but its still a little annoying. Luckily, I dont do a huge amount of gaming, or voip. I do alot of p2p. This doesnt run super fast, but I know its throttled to "maintain integrity of network". Still, I just leave it overnight, and most things are downloaded. Have to say though, Ive praised him before, the rep who signed me up, has always looked after me. I got in installed the same day I rang up, after waiting 6 weeks for eircon to come out. So, im so ever greatful!

eth0_ wrote:
    Which says to me they don't know how to manage their network, they don't know what they're doing.

If it was interference causing the problem they'd surely work this out in a matter of days. This abysmal service has been going on nearly five MONTHS.

Not necessarily. I don't think Deconstruct said what or how he was downloading. If he was using P2P, then his speeds would be normal on a throttled service. In that case, the network would be managed fine.

I take it all back, if he was HTTP of FTP downloading.

hahah, for two hours last night we couldn't even load one webpage!
    Getting pings of >3000ms and packet loss of >70%!

We didn't move the modem but it got "better" by itself. What a joke.

Can't say I had any problems last night on the Bray mast. Had no problem browsing and also a bit of gaming every so often without any problems.

In fairness to them, after all my complaining about how ****e they are, they do appear to be sorting things out now. I havent had any problems for a few weeks since they resolved the gaming issues and have never had a problem with downloading or browsing. The gaming took a month to resolve but at least it is now stable. Their customer services are pretty good in fiarness.

If they keep this up for another few weeks without further outages, then I would be willing to recommend them for anyone who doesnt want to use P2P...but not quite yet. They have a little further to go before my faith is fully restored.

I totally agree, Ludo. I've been grand for the past week or two on the Naas mast. No major problems. I do get the odd drop now and then [less than a second each time], but I'm happy to put that down to stuff outside of their control, like my wireless router.

I can VPN and Remote Desktop over my 802.11g WLAN now which is so cool. I haven't had to connect my laptop with CAT5 in all that time, or have I had the need to resort back to my BT connection. VoIP and all.

However, I have noticed today and yesterday that my speeds have dropped to about 1Mb to 1.3Mb instead of the 1.8Mb to 2.2Mb I usually have. But that doesn't bother me too much either.

Pings to HL2CTF [STEAM] hovered at around 100ms to 150ms for a while yesterday too. Nothing major and still playable but no way ideal. I usually get pings in the 50ms to 70ms range.

I'll give it a few more weeks before I make a decision on dumping BT and Eircom.

And they won't unblock ports for certain games. Can't use my DS on clearwire..it SUCKS.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    And they won't unblock ports for certain games. Can't use my DS on clearwire..it SUCKS.

Did they specifically refuse?
    If so, then I think I would leave them, depending on my other broadband options.

Advertisement