Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

IrishTLR I was downloading via http and FTP (best on heanet was 12.4 last time i checked).

Very rare moments (1 to two hours) does this 'service' go above 45 kbps for downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IrishTLR I was downloading via http and FTP (best on heanet was 12.4 last time i checked).

Very rare moments (1 to two hours) does this 'service' go above 45 kbps for downloads.

Fair enough, I retract my statement.

The last 3 hours are not being good for me. All VoIP calls that I have made or taken since about 1pm or 2pm have one way audio. I can hear them but they cannot hear me. My upload speed is fine at betwen 200Kb and 450Kb

I have been on to Blueface and they said that the problem is not on their end but they are away that Clearwire are doing some QOS testing on their system at the moment.

My connection has dropped far more than normal too today. At least 4 or 5 times since 2pm.

Clearwire should NOT be doing these tests during normal business hours.
    Download speeds have been hovering between 900K and 1.3Mb today and yesterday. Probably related, probably not.

As I write this my VPN dropped for 3 minutes. Deffo not good.

Rang CW 3 timse in the last 40 mins, eventually got through to them and not their call center. The guy was very helpful but said that they have experienced no problems today and my conection looks perfect.........!!!!1111""""!!!!O-M-F-G!!!!EXCLAMATIONMARK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

Currently getting 185 KB/sec with a high of 245 KB/sec.
    Stop da lights! Whats the chances of this continuing???! Anyone know where the nearest mast is to Garda HQ/N.C.R. area?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

**removed**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Would yoube opening yourself up to litigation if you did that?

• Advertisement

Its not like i'd actually do it, but they are advertising a service they are charging for AND a service they can't seem to provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I agree completely. For the moment I guess it's just word of mouth. I can't recommend Clearwire's castrated service to friends and colleagues. I tell them the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Their service is getting more and more like that crappy tv based system. It's fine if you wanna search a few simple web-pages, and browse around now and then (This is about all they're allowing on their network at the moment. Everything else is blocked), but if you wanna download a few files now and then, forget about it. This is not broadband....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

sisyphus wrote:
    Their service is getting more and more like that crappy tv based system. It's fine if you wanna search a few simple web-pages, and browse around now and then (This is about all they're allowing on their network at the moment. Everything else is blocked), but if you wanna download a few files now and then, forget about it. This is not broadband....

I have generally stayed quite for a while on this, due to request :D, but again, this is a huge generalisation. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that my connection is almost 100%. Yes, P2P may be restricted but gaming, VoIP, VPN, Remote Desktop, Downloading, Uploading in general is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

IrishTLR, this may be the case for you but the VAST majority, probably somewhere between 80-90% of people who have posted here are getting nothing from this service.

You may say that the people here are a minority, the flat upstairs from me had a non technical person using clearwire and I decided to ask how they were finding the service as mine was crap. His reply was, it's fairly good, to which point I asked to have a look. He had pings of 780 to boards.ie, could only download files at 14 kbps and could just about stream audio. He thought that was a class connection. He hadn't a clue. I've spoken to three other ppl with same issues and same opinions of clearwire.

Clearwire are a very dishonest company with very bad customer relations management.

For example, an engineer assigned to my VOIP issues in October gave me a call on Wednesday to check if I was still having these issues. How long do you think that list was?

• Advertisement

So people still having problems with this?

Specifically WoW players?

I was having "Unable to Connect" issues. I sent them the port numbers used, and it seemed to resolve it.

However over the weekend, i still get unable to connect, but if i keep trying it connects. Then it cannot log into my server, but if i keep trying that it works. Then the game works fine with a general ping of 100 - 350....

Anyone else seeing this?

B

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Shougeki wrote:
    So people still having problems with this?

Specifically WoW players?

I was having "Unable to Connect" issues. I sent them the port numbers used, and it seemed to resolve it.

However over the weekend, i still get unable to connect, but if i keep trying it connects. Then it cannot log into my server, but if i keep trying that it works. Then the game works fine with a general ping of 100 - 350....

Anyone else seeing this?

B

I am amazed at the patience of Clearwire's customers why should a customer 'have to keep trying' to do even the most basic things? Isnt this what we pay for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I feel like printing out stickers saying what Clearwire is *really* like and sticking them on top of their ads in the Luas, on bus stops etc.

They shouldn't be allowed to get away with claiming to be broadband. If I still had their 'service' i'd have made a complaint to the ASA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I havent been able to log on to WoW in quite a few days now. its really getting annoying, especially since its a monthly sub that i'm paying for WoW. it was fine till about a week ago, when it just stopped working at all.

So why do you put up with it? Ring their support line, if they can't fix it in two days or so, cancel!

eth0_ wrote:
    So why do you put up with it? Ring their support line, if they can't fix it in two days or so, cancel!

well, tbh, its worked quite well, on everything that i've tried, except WoW. using Grabit and Newzbin, i can get over 200k download speed constant, which is quite nice. also, i dont have any other option, since i only have 3 months left in this house (college).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Same problem with WoW.

But seems to be very intermitten, I cant get on right now, which I why I am looking around. Better not be another weeks outage coming, or my anger will have no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Just got WOW myself today - seems the login problems are related to the Blizzard servers at the moment ...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-tech-support&t=738096&p=1&tmp=1#post738096

Could be wrong - I cant login either and im not on Clearwire ...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

Not a clearwire user myself but I've been reading this thread an see a lot of angry people. I have a big problem with any ISP that will block services. I don't know if the problem is P2P or whatever uses up too much of their bandwidth, But since so many users are reporting slow downloads speeds and packet loss anyway it's hardly much of an excuse. Sounds like the network is simply overworked and they can't/won't fix it.

Still maybe they should look up the term "Network Neutrality". They charge more money for speeds that are inferior to most other ISP's so they shouldn't be blocking any ports. Having to phone up technical support and ask them to open up ports for gaming is stupid.

Maybe if I win any money on Cheltenham this year I'll give them some and they can fix their network.

Or maybe I won't :)

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I tell you what f**k clearwire, give the money to me.

This is such a stupid problem:

The game generally goes through a few stages to get onto a server, they are:
    Connecting..->Handshaking->Authenticating->Connected->Pick Server.

Now I am getting to Connecting->Unable To Connect (After less than a second), and for around 20 tries all I get is that. (Which is exactly the same as you get if you have a firewall blocking all ports, and I have checked mine).

So after an undetermined number of tries, it will let you log in and pick a server, this then takes 20 tries and you can finally pick a char and get in the game.

I mean like WTF is going on here? Clearwire need to take a serious look at that piece of sh*t software they have for shaping ports. A) It blocks the wrong stuff, and B) It then changes its mind.

A lot of anger, I have right now!

• Advertisement

well, i was able to log in today, for the first time in about a week. it was laggy as ****, but thats typical during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Could alot of these rpoblem s be down to contention with other users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Interesting development with Clearwire - whenever I go to download a torrent file via a search engine ie : right click save as, Clearwire now tells you that the connection with the server reset! The good auld "Problem Loading Page" in Firefox and "This page cannot be displayed" in internet explorer.

So you can't even download the data for use on another network! Niceone lads! Getting fed up with clearwire but have little alternative for the moment. Still having skype issues as well (grumble....)

The_Goose wrote:
    Could alot of these rpoblem s be down to contention with other users?

That's impossible on clearwire. All the customers can do is surf the web and play a couple of games. Contention wouldn't kick in in this case, no way.

They're just sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Ahem....Whats a torrent file ?...Just wondering !!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

eth0_ wrote:
    That's impossible on clearwire. All the customers can do is surf the web and play a couple of games. Contention wouldn't kick in in this case, no way.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Are you being sarky here... ?? Contention would always be a potential issue no matter how you use it...

The possible issue here is that Clearwire dont have a clue........

And looks like they are back to theyre pissing about with ports again. WoW isnt working .... grrrrrr

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Not working for me either on NTL. Login servers appear to be down.

<edit> Yup lots of people complaining on the forums - its been down over an hour - http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-tech-support-en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Ive been reading this thread for a few months now and generally have not felt the need to contribute.

The last week or so my 2MB package has been a complete joke, I am getting average DL speeds of around 250kb p/s; 10 time slower than what its advertised as basically. I am in Swords.

For my Newsgroup Stuff I can just leave the thing running and it gets there in the end but I am really feeling it now when Playing DOD via Steam. At first I just thought Id stay away from using it during peak hours but I am constantly getting sh!tty speeds now, all times of the day and night. I have to leave a game pretty quickly due to pings of 400ms + to UK servers, not so long ago it was a steady 50-80ms.

I can accept that it will rarely be the full 2MB due to contention but when paying for this package I expect the average to be in and around 1.5MB mark.
    As yet I have not rang Clearwire as from all I can gather their Tech Support seem to be all very nice but in complete denial about any problems.

If they say I need to get my game patched or something farcical I will go bananas :mad:
    I have taken to doing regular speed tests and recording all my results so I have some ammo to throw back at them. I am in a pickle as I cant get a landline so they have me by balls.

Have anyone in had a sever degradation of service the last week or so?
    How do you think I stand as to sending the modem back and breaking the contract?
    As I see it they are not providing the stated service.
    Has anyone done this yet and what is clearwires reaction?
    Also if this continues has anyone tried switching to the 1MB package? no point paying for 2MB if I rarely break a meg...

Stupidly all my account details are in my work email so I cannot call till Monday.
    Anyone in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Jelly 292 wrote:
    Ive been reading this thread for a few months now and generally have not felt the need to contribute.

The last week or so my 2MB package has been a complete joke, I am getting average DL speeds of around 250kb p/s; 10 time slower than what its advertised as basically. I am in Swords.

I'm in Swords myself and haven't used the Clearwire service I have much. I'm trying to get them to agree to severe our agreement at the moment. In general download speeds and response for normal http based downloads and web browsing have been fine. 250KB is about right for a 2Mb connection, in fact it's higher than 2Mb. Check the number of lights lit up on the modem, how many are there ? 2 or more steady is good. Below that I've found ping problems and high packet loss even though it's meant to be non-line of sight. What does the ISP Speed Test indicate as your speed ?
    Have anyone in had a sever degradation of service the last week or so?

Just checked there now and it seems to be fine >240KB/s. Most of the problems mentioned in this forum seems to be about specific services since Clearwire adopted a port shaping policy a few months ago. For me this means no P2P, VOIP (Skype), bit-torrent, VPN and sometimes FTP access to my server. Speed issues around Swords haven't been a problem for me really.
    How do you think I stand as to sending the modem back and breaking the contract?
    As I see it they are not providing the stated service.
    Has anyone done this yet and what is clearwires reaction?

I'll let you know when I get a response from them. They sent me an email complaining about a DD problem, my reply asked them to investigate several emails I've sent re. their service. I've asked them to terminate out agreement because - as you say - they are not providing me with the service I signed up for. I was one of the first subscribers in Swords (July 05) at that time the service was excellent. So much so that I applauded them here on boardsie and some posters signed up. The service was fully open and all ports could be used i.e. P2P VOIP etc. So in my case they really aren't providing me with the service I opted for, they changed it without informing me or asking my permission.

I'm not sure of your own circumstances but when did you sign up, what was the service like then ? Did they inform you of any changes to the agreed service ?

ZEN

Advertisement