Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Hi Zen,

My average seed results on http://www.irishisptest.com are around 250kbps.

Yes, using Newsleecher I normally get around 250- 300Kbps which is grand but the ispspeed test should be giving me results of at least a Meg and a bit.
    At the moment Newsleecher is down to 50-100Kbps and worse which sucks big time.

When I ping google.ie its just silly with average round trips of 450ms, normally with 25% loss. That aint right!

I have 5 lights ALL the time.
    Ive had the package for 4 months odd and initally the service was grand. I have a feeling a lot of people have started using Clearwire out here and hence the bad preformance, what do they state thier contation ratio to be agian??
    P2P worked for about 2 days and then all opf a sudden stopped. I wonder why..
    Using Newsgroups for DL and thats fine, Initally I was using Port 119 and after a few days that stopped, I wonder why.
    Now I use Port 80 and unless they intend to block the Internet I am getting by, just.
    Yeah, web browsing is fine but I am not paying 50 bucks a months to web browse.
    The whole set up is starting to look like complete control freakery and incompetance on thier part. Initally I recommended them to a lot of people but no I tell everyone to stay well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

I wish i had read this before ordering the 2meg package. So basicly you never get anywhere near the stated download speeds and alot of programs are blocked from been used!

Feck Feck.
    Well my modem will be delivered monday so I guess I report when I'm set it up.

Feck

This is the thing, for the last 2 hours all has been OK, 2.2 Mbps on Irish isp.

When it works its grand but it seems to be getting more and more unstable.
    I have had it for months and its basically been an acceptable product.

This last week it has just let me down at the wrong moments and I hope the get thier act together:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The_Goose wrote:
    I wish i had read this before ordering the 2meg package. So basicly you never get anywhere near the stated download speeds and alot of programs are blocked from been used!

Feck Feck.

Feck

Do yourself a favour, don't accept it. Tell the delivery guy that you don't want it and instruct your bank not to start the direct debit. I think under consumer law you can change your mind within a few weeks or something, maybe someone more knowledgeable could help out here.

You've read this thread and this is only a sample of those who even realise there are problems. Many people don't use P2P or the other blocked services so for them its ok. If that's you then there are cheaper options to get by on. But I think Clearwire have a nerve to advertise a service which is so restrictive, I can see that they're trying to avoid of the IBB model but this isn't the way to go about it.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The_Goose wrote:

Feck Feck.

Feck

You have a week's cool-off from the order date so you can just return it within that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

When I had mine installed, I was told that there were few cases of people leaving the service and breaking the contract, but they were not charged eur120 as they could prove they were not getting the service they were promised.

I've got Clearwire cause I couldn't wait 1-2 months to get the landline-based service from EsatBT, so I figured I'd go wireless and wait till SmartTelecom is in my area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

some people seem to think that on a 2mb line, you should be getting 2mb download speeds...which isnt the case. you have 2mb bandwidth, but only about 200k-250k throughput. its generally about 10 times less then the stated line...i.e 56k modems generally download at 5-7k a sec.

as for clearwire recently, its been absolute crap. if i'm lucky, i get about 10k download. the only thing i'm not annoyed about is that i have been able to log on to warcraft for the past week or so. gonna ring them tomorrow, and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Kiith wrote:
    some people seem to think that on a 2mb line, you should be getting 2mb download speeds...which isnt the case. you have 2mb bandwidth, but only about 200k-250k throughput. its generally about 10 times less then the stated line...i.e 56k modems generally download at 5-7k a sec.

as for clearwire recently, its been absolute crap. if i'm lucky, i get about 10k download. the only thing i'm not annoyed about is that i have been able to log on to warcraft for the past week or so. gonna ring them tomorrow, and see what they have to say.

Almost. It's a 2Mb/s [Mega BIT per second] connection which translates into about 250KB/s [Kilo BYTE per second]. It is 8 times less. Devide the BIT amount [2048 bytes or 2000 bytes] to get the BYTE amount [256KB - 200KB].

Depending on your broadband supplier, you may not get this full speed as there are transmission overheads. As far as I know, Smart Telecom give you the full 256KB/s as they add the overhead amount onto the package speed.

Also if you have DSL provider, your line quality will also have an affect on your speeds.

Ok is there any P2P that works on clear wire? ive installed bearshare, lime wire, bit torrent but none can get a connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The_Goose wrote:
    Ok is there any P2P that works on clear wire? ive installed bearshare, lime wire, bit torrent but none can get a connection?

Nope...looks like it is totally blocked. And if anyone posts some way around it here, that will also be blockec pretty quickly I would imagine as they prob keep an eye on these boards.

• Advertisement

This is insane, why?

The_Goose wrote:
    This is insane, why?

You mean besides the legal aspect of it?

Ludo, Yes they do monitor these boards. They are just not allowed to post for fear of "The MANAGEMENT".

Their management team have a LOT to learn from the likes of Smart Telecom. I appriciate a company that is open and transparant, or at least "appears" to be open and transparant.

It gives me warm fuzzies and a sense of respect.

*Edit* I used to repect Clearwire as a company. I don't anymore. They appear to me, to be just in it for the money. Fair enough, that is business. But there are a few companies out there that actually care about their customers [mine included]. They are not on my Christmas card list, that's for sure. But I still get a good service from them. It's nowhere near 100% but it's good enough for what I need. I WILL move to Smart Telecom when they appear in Naas. Not sure if that will end my Blueface subs though, as Smart have an 076 service too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

IrishTLR wrote:
    You mean besides the legal aspect of it?

P2P is not illegal. I know 99% of what it is used for is illegal but to completely ban it is stupid but they arent going to change now. For example Sky By Broadband uses P2P so it wont work for me and I also needed it for work and couldnt access it.
    I firmly believe they should go down the cap route and just block people who abuse the network.
    IrishTLR wrote:
    *Edit* I used to repect Clearwire as a company. I don't anymore. They appear to me, to be just in it for the money. Fair enough, that is business. But there are a few companies out there that actually care about their customers [mine included]. They are not on my Christmas card list, that's for sure.

I was driving out of sandyford and onto the N11 this evening behind a poxy little Clearwire Smart. I came so close to running the little bugger off the road...very tempting it was :-)

Ludo wrote:
    P2P is not illegal. I know 99% of what it is used for is illegal but to completely ban it is stupid but they arent going to change now. For example Sky By Broadband uses P2P so it wont work for me and I also needed it for work and couldnt access it.
    I firmly believe they should go down the cap route and just block people who abuse the network.
    I agree, as I have done before. But it's those 99% of people that have ruined the business aspect of it for the remainding 1% of us.

I will slightly retract my statements made a long time ago about agreeing with Clearwire blocking / shaping P2P ports. I don't agree with this sort of thing, but I can understand their perspective, again because of that 99% figure that keeps popping up.
    However, there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't have done so without blocking other legit applications like Gaming ,VPN etc. Bad form on their part and I don't think they can recover my confidence over it. It really messed me up for a while, during office hours.

Ludo wrote:
    I was driving out of sandyford and onto the N11 this evening behind a poxy little Clearwire Smart. I came so close to running the little bugger off the road...very tempting it was :-)

:D Nice one. Greatest laugh I've had all day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i had clearwire in november but sent it back in the cooling off period cos it absolutely sucks. sent back the modem in november.January came and still no refund. Rang them 4 times in january and february. " oh sorry about that. ill make sure the money is back in your account tommoro" or " sorry our accounts systems are down at the moment. Can i give you a call back tommorow morning"
    The usual bull**** ... SO i brought Comreg in to get my money back. Its only 30 quid but as long as queerwire dont get it im happy.

Well for myself I finally found out what the problems is.

After calling many times and constantly getting through to the over flow call centre I was told I had exceeded my cap and I am now restricted untill my month ticks over, next week sometime.

I had enquired about this prevoiusly and they said that they would inform me before taking any action if DL cap was breached.

I found the tech support to be very casual, very vauge and not very impressive to say the least. Once they pulled up my deitails and noticed I had breched the cap the attitude was completly different.

Lots of 'maybe's' and 'probablys' and 'Im not sure' and an 'I dont give a toss' vibe.

Im glad I did not have an actuall problem as such as I would have little faith in thier ability/attitude.

Fair enough to throttle me if I exceed but I had already been told by the support previously that the cap runs from the first to the first of each month, not from the day you activate your modem.

I was also told that they had no policy yet if I exceeded the cap as they were a new company and they would contact me before any action was taken.

Not a happy bunny but what can I do at this stage apart from tell everyone I know who needs broadband to stay clear.

Exceed 20GB= Restricted to 28k Surfing

You have been warned.....

ok ive had the 2meg package a day now and i m almost ready to send it back this is unreal. I was going to get breeze but they have yo put in an aeriel. **** this an aeriel is better than this ****. These lads wont be last for far to long with this crap goin on.

Has anyone sent theres back, do you need to state specific reason s like " i ll kill you if you dont" or will just except the fact there ****

Just one more thing, if this is a great way to run a busineASS then why arent other s doing it?

The_Goose wrote:
    ok ive had the 2meg package a day now and i m almost ready to send it back this is unreal. I was going to get breeze but they have yo put in an aeriel. **** this an aeriel is better than this ****. These lads wont be last for far to long with this crap goin on.

Has anyone sent theres back, do you need to state specific reason s like " i ll kill you if you dont" or will just except the fact there ****

Just one more thing, if this is a great way to run a busineASS then why arent other s doing it?

What speeds are you getting? Any pix?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Being honest, I have no problems with them at all. I know that there are people who are complaining about the service, but I find it fine. Not brilliant, but it dpes everything I need to do it. Being honest, im sick of people compairing the company to IBB. If you ask anyone, they will have a bad experice with IBB, well at least 90% of people. Whilst 90% of people with Clearwire ARE happy. As the saying goes, you cant please everybody all the time. I had a bad experience with IBB. they came out, drilled a hole in my chimney, knocked out my external plaster as the ran the cable down the outside of the house, then destroyed one of my rooms with over €500 worth of damage, and then they said they couldnt find a signal. wasnt impressed. contact eircom. who came out after 6 weeks to connect my line, waited another 6 weeks to find out my line was "faulty". They dug up half my front garden to replace the line, then decided that they didnt know what the problem was. Clearwire came out, gave me a black box to plug in, and that was it. He was gone in 15 minutes, and I had broadband. I wanted broadband, and eventually got it. Ive no problems using web browsing and voip. Dont game at all. Do the odd p2p. Runs slowly, around 15kbps but hey, I dont do it much. I leave it run for a few hours and it downloads. p2p isint blocked on the network, you just have to use certain programmes. If i could get DSL, i wouldnt now. Im happy paying Clearwire for a hassle free service that I can use. Ive had them for a nearly around 9 months and have never had any problems. Ive recommended them several times to get my free month, and all my friends are happy with it. If I want to take the p*ss and download large films and mp3's, Ill use my connection in work. They pay for the benefit of having a leased line, so they can do what they want on it. If i wanted to do what I wanted online, and get super speeds, I would pay for a leased line. But I cant afford it, and couldnt be bothered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

antodeco wrote:
    Being honest, I have no problems with them at all. I know that there are people who are complaining about the service, but I find it fine.

Not that you're biased or anything ! I notice the site you link to in your sig is sponsored by Clearwire....

What do you mean by
    p2p isint blocked on the network, you just have to use certain programmes.

What programs ? I use limewire and I get nada ! What do you use ?

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

antodeco wrote:
    Being honest, I have no problems with them at all. I know that there are people who are complaining about the service, but I find it fine. Not brilliant, but it dpes everything I need to do it. Being honest, im sick of people compairing the company to IBB. If you ask anyone, they will have a bad experice with IBB, well at least 90% of people. Whilst 90% of people with Clearwire ARE happy. As the saying goes, you cant please everybody all the time. I had a bad experience with IBB. they came out, drilled a hole in my chimney, knocked out my external plaster as the ran the cable down the outside of the house, then destroyed one of my rooms with over €500 worth of damage, and then they said they couldnt find a signal. wasnt impressed. contact eircom. who came out after 6 weeks to connect my line, waited another 6 weeks to find out my line was "faulty". They dug up half my front garden to replace the line, then decided that they didnt know what the problem was. Clearwire came out, gave me a black box to plug in, and that was it. He was gone in 15 minutes, and I had broadband. I wanted broadband, and eventually got it. Ive no problems using web browsing and voip. Dont game at all. Do the odd p2p. Runs slowly, around 15kbps but hey, I dont do it much. I leave it run for a few hours and it downloads. p2p isint blocked on the network, you just have to use certain programmes. If i could get DSL, i wouldnt now. Im happy paying Clearwire for a hassle free service that I can use. Ive had them for a nearly around 9 months and have never had any problems. Ive recommended them several times to get my free month, and all my friends are happy with it. If I want to take the p*ss and download large films and mp3's, Ill use my connection in work. They pay for the benefit of having a leased line, so they can do what they want on it. If i wanted to do what I wanted online, and get super speeds, I would pay for a leased line. But I cant afford it, and couldnt be bothered!

there appear to be a number of differences between the post above and this one?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50876447&postcount=2
    antodeco wrote:
    Theres 2 main wireless carriers on there.

IBB and Clearwire.

Both operate on the same principal, although clearwire seem to have a better network. They do however throttle p2p, and seem to have some problems with VOIP. I had a few problems with them a few weeks ago, but its all been sorted. I use imesh, and my speeds generally run around 17kbps. I dont do a huge amount of p2p so I dont mind that. Running off a server (itunes eg) I get around 150 - 212kbps, which is just over 1.5mbps. Happy with the service.
    In terms of IBB, never used them, so I cant fairly comment on them. If you are interested in Clearwire email alan.ryan@clearwire.ie. Tell him I told you about them. (they have a refer a friend program, so if you sign up, Ill get a month for a euro! (thanks!!))
    aNtOdEcO

Im getting 15kb/sec at the moment on the 2Meg package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

does ne1 know why limewire is blocked on clearwire?? I no is P2P but limewire is legit, what you download off it is the prob and in fairness that shoulnt be of concern of clearwire but mine. Also wats the story about clearwire billing? They havent sent me a bill / charged me yet!! Should I contact them or sit it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Clearwire block p2p presumably because they're too cheap to pay for bandwidth and want to throttle it as much as possible, while at the same time getting as many customers on board as possible and screwing them for money for something that ISN'T BROADBAND.

Stepbar - As a former clearsh*te customer who cancelled and moved to Smart Telecom, i'd advise you to do the same

antodeco - you're pathetic :-)

Or it has to do with inherent access contention problems with wireless broadband. They have a cap, so that should deal with overall usage.

I don't think there's much anything wrong with deprioritising P2P traffic as it's not time critical, but killing it altogether or throttling it down to a very low speed is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

If clearsh1te really wanted to put any effort into resolving the issues for the customers who don't go overkill on the VERY LIMITED BANDWIDTH available to them they'd put the huge bandwidth users into their own VLAN and let them rape each others connections.

The problem with clearsh1te appears to have been in my case with them a huge lack of understanding of how to bloody run any sort of network.

I'd advise anyone even considering playing with these jokers to avoid like the plague.

Re: Driving Smart/Clearsh1te cars off of the road.

Last saturday two clearsh1te reps were displaying the great experience that is clearsh1te in Rathmines Swan Centre. I wanted to say something along the lines of:

"Hi, i'd like to download the latest *distro of choice* Linux via bittorrent can I see what speeds I get with clearwire?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

eth0_ wrote:
    Clearwire block p2p presumably because they're too cheap to pay for bandwidth and want to throttle it as much as possible, while at the same time getting as many customers on board as possible and screwing them for money for something that ISN'T BROADBAND.

Stepbar - As a former clearsh*te customer who cancelled and moved to Smart Telecom, i'd advise you to do the same

antodeco - you're pathetic :-)

thats not an option for me ......I am failed by Eircom, imagine I live in Dublin 2 and they're telling me I cant get broadband because THEY were too f**kin cheap to give each apartment owner a seperate line F**kin Cowboys
    BTW rang Clearwire 2day and they told me that P2P is def blocked which is arse gimp but if it means that my internet connection doennt slow down to levels pre clearwire (i.e IBB) well then Im happy

Smart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Blaster99 wrote:
    Smart?

He just said he can't get broadband because his phone line was split. Smart will tell him the same, his line will fail for broadband.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he did, but very few people are told why their line fails and perhaps he was guessing? Smart ignores eircom's test data as a general rule, so the suggestion is valid. In any event, what's your beef?

Advertisement