Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What do you mean, "what's your beef"? I'm trying to give the guy advice, which is more than you've done by posting "smart?" tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Anyone have any trouble getting remote VPN to work over ClearSh*te? First time I have tried it and can't get it to work but not sure if it is a problem with my end or theirs. I think I am getting an error about NAT-Detected in the VPN log file. It all authenticates fine then boots me.

Any ideas? I only put it in this thread as I thought I read about someone here trying a VPN with CLearwire but I couldnt find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Ludo wrote:
    Anyone have any trouble getting remote VPN to work over ClearSh*te? First time I have tried it and can't get it to work but not sure if it is a problem with my end or theirs. I think I am getting an error about NAT-Detected in the VPN log file. It all authenticates fine then boots me.

Any ideas? I only put it in this thread as I thought I read about someone here trying a VPN with CLearwire but I couldnt find it.

VPN works alright on Clearwire, well there Business package, we have tryed different protocals to get the fastest possible, we setup two SonicWALL routers on a Clearwire and a Eircom BB, the upload is actal better on the Clearwire @ just about 500kbits and it's ment to be down as 256kBit, say nothing we where just lucky!

It can be tricky to setup the VPN but start with both sides in DMZ zone and then add the firewall rules.

i wouldn't use the Windows VPN client. it works but has limited features and doesn't support all the protocals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I use VPN on a daily basis. However, I am just using Windows VPN to connect to the office across the water [Finish in a week and a half... WOO HOO :D].

I also get upload speed higher than normal. They usually hover between 200jv to 400Kb. Sometimes higher, but that is rare.

Ludo wrote:

VPN never once worked for me on Clearwire. Without changing any settings on my router, it works fine on Smart DSL.

My boyfriend keeps his computer on all day at home so he can access it at work via ssh, and finds that ssh craps out regularly, like the port is blocked temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Have Clearwire 2 weeks and want out. Is the fact they block p2p and never said anything about it enough to break the contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Gonna cancel with Clearwire this week - are they enforcing the €60 charge even though they have been awful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

The_Goose wrote:
    Have Clearwire 2 weeks and want out. Is the fact they block p2p and never said anything about it enough to break the contract?

I doubt it.:confused: Does anyone know for certain if we can break the agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Dunno about breaking contract but for me i think that:

- The service is all over the place anywhere from 250kbps to 2.4Mbps, only settles down late at night and early in the day - Contention? Its rare for me to break a meg on my 2meg package.

- Ports blocked without admitting it.

- 5 emails to support in the last 10 days with no reply

- 5 Phone calls in last week, 4 times thru to overflow centre, call backs promised, never had any at all. Got thru once to a 'tech' , she did not have much of a clue and said an engineer would call me the next day, never happened.

So bad service and bad support, its a pretty good case for sending Modem back and stopping DD I think.

But Im over a barrel as I have no other option as I cannot get a land line in so Im stuck for now :(

Has anyone actually sent modem back and cancelled yet? what were they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know why they don't get rid of that overflow crowd and do a queueing system instead. It's pointless to talk to the overflow people, they can't do anything and nobody ever calls back either.

• Advertisement

I am currently testing at 90kbps, its been between 30-90kbps for the last 2 hours.
    I suppose Ill ring in the morning only to be told I'll get a call back.....

CLEARWIRE: PACK OF CON ARTISTS:mad:

Sent an email to Clearwire today listing the reasons for cancelling my contract, and asking for an address to send the modem to.

And yes, I cancelled the Direct Debit ;)

Nice one Hoodle, keep us posted!

I rang at weekend, overflow centre.
    Rang last night, actually talked to someone but ,suprise suprise, he said someone would call today, no call.

Another thing that pi$$es me off is the fact thay have no call tracking system and you are not givin an incident number.

I have called maybe a dozen times over the same problem and have not had a single thing done or suggested. So every time I call I explain my whole story agian. I also have to make a poinbt of taking names as they dont offer thier names when you ring.
    I also suspect that the tech support are just 'Customer Service' reps as apart from asking how many lights on modem (5) they get a bit stumped.

Oh well. Will call agian tonite...

Friend of mine got billed on his credit card for Clearwire. He sent his modem back six months ago, after it was established there wasn't a strong enough signal where he lives. He sent it back a few days after it arrived.

When he eventually got through to someone in Clearwire he was told 'Yeah i'll look into it tomorrow evening...i'm doing direct debits today, doing credit card payments tomorrow'. Eh, that's not exactly good customer service but then what do you expect off these shams :)

Can't wait til my credit card statement comes in now. They better not have charged me!

As expected, they haven't responded to my email (sent 24 hours ago) so I'm just going to send the modem back, along with a copy of the email I sent and make a point that this is yet another email they haven't responded to.

Good riddance, Clearwire!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Anyone having trouble logging into wow on clearwire today?

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dont play WOW but have been playing COD for the last hour with no problem (Bray mast).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dise83

What i'm trying to say is - clearwire Ireland are doing their best - good on ya!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dise83 wrote:
    I used to work for clearwire and just want to put my tuppence into the forum. I finished a while ago and have nothing to do with them anymore, although i have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed working there. The staff try their hardest and everyone wants the best service that they can provide... its a small company - part of a huge one and u all should know how hard it is working in a small seperate part of the main multi-national, trying to get help for anything at all is impossible. They're not given any license to do anything on their own and are ignored when asking for help.
    I know most of you people that post now and have been posting for a long time, and i know that clearwire is far from perfect. All i want to say that when i was working htere from the beginnings of the company until farily recently, all the staff try their upmost to provide the best service that they are able to provide - blame clearwire international, they'e the bad-guys in this situation.
    so, all i want to say is fair do's to everyone that works there and used to work with me, i tried my hardest and had some great feedback from customers on my work in the company, as did my colleagues - unfortunately the tools arent there to provide the service that everyone wants. Trust me, we wanted to provide the best, just weren't allowed to do so.
    I know its not great, but there u have it - the product may not be amazing, but the service (from what i was told by customers) was top-notch when i was there - just hope that everyone i worked with is keeping up to the standards we set at the outset.

Why not can I ask? Surely it would be in their own interest to provde the best possible service?

d

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dise83 wrote:

Because Clearwire is a multi-national and all they want is the cheapest way of making money through a subsidiary of theirs, i.e. clearwire ireland is given the basics and expected to provide what they can to get as much money as possible.

Let that be a warning to potential customers!:rolleyes:

Dise, if you dont mind me asking, why dont they allow file sharing? I only found this out after getting the equipment delivered, they should at least tell us this before signing up for 12 months

I'd

i

I'd like to say that clearwire ireland had a lot more happy customers than unhappy customers - the unhappy ones always seem to be the tech ppl that use boards.ie to post all their gripes - other customers that are happy with the service don't look to boards to moan, they just get on with things!

Dude, yeah, I am a tech by profession but paying for 2Mb and getting 250kbps EVERY evening between 1700 -0100 is a joke.

I talked to tech support last night (literally 15th time) and he said to me 'We are trying our best to stop people downloading' to mean that once they did that all would be OK. Dem pesky downloaders.

You dont need a 2Mb connection to surf the web...

yes, staff seem very nice but Im not paying hard cash to be talked to nicely, i want service and support. Im not asking much, just what it says on the tin.

thats fair enough, dont get me wrong im happy enough with the network so far although i dont have it that long. They should tell people about blocking p2p though

The only time clearwire had good customer service was when they were pre-launch!

And I never ONCE spoke to someone who had a modicum of technical expertise. They hadn't a CLUE.

Their network fell over when people used file sharing because their engineers DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING! It's as simple as that! Even after they blocked p2p (and DENIED it!) the network was still slow as anything! When you can't even surf the web or listen to lo-fi internet radio, you know your ISP is a a joke.

I feel bad for the people that work there, but the sooner Clearwire and IBB go bust, the better.

eth_o : why can't you just cheer up a little bit and stop moaning all the time - all you do is gripe?
    But thats it from me, good luck everyone, catch u all some day laters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

dub45 wrote:
    Why not can I ask? Surely it would be in their own interest to provde the best possible service?

Is your employer perfect? You sound like somebody with a union mindset, so I'm guessing semi-state? That would perhaps answer the question.

Clearwire in the US have lots of strange policies. They obviously enforce them on their subsidiaries as well. I'm surprised they can get away with it in the US which has much more competition than here, never mind in Ireland.

Clearwire has its place but I think their pricing is very optimistic considering the limitations of the service and the many other options out there that are cheaper. For me, the roaming feature is great, and I can put up with the other problems. I incidently rarely ever have any performance problems other than the traffic shaped stuff. In fact, I've never had a performance problem. And that's in many different locations. I don't usually use the service outside of business hours, though, so that might be it.

• Advertisement

dise83 wrote:
    eth_o : why can't you just cheer up a little bit and stop moaning all the time - all you do is gripe?
    But thats it from me, good luck everyone, catch u all some day laters!

I am cheery, I use Smart Telecom DSL and i'm really happy with it since leaving Clearwire in November.
    I just want people to be perfectly clear that Clearwire is *not* broadband and to stay away from the service.

Advertisement