Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My internet connection stays up for a few minutes and then dies for 5.
    This is absolutely crap.
    I rang support around 3pm today and the guy said an on-call engineer was on his way in and he would ring me back within an hour. No call.

Looking to change providers now. This is a total joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yes, I was getting rediculous response today. All tests showed fine. Normal upload and download. 0 ping loss and average of about 30 to 40ms pings to boards. Brilliant. But...

... When I fire up Half Life 2 CTF, which I normally do at the weekends and normally get 40 ping, I was getting pings of 1000 to 3000. Totally unuseable.

However, I COULD download files at full speed. Totally baffeling, unless they are testing traffic shaping.

I was not aware that the support was open today, otherwise I would have called. I shall call them on Monday morning.

I had to switch to my DSL today. Much better response but not as good as a good clearwire.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Heres what I got from irishisptest earlier. Brilliant times. i havent had one outage, or disconnect in about 3 months. Had 2 in total since getting it. Both for about 5 mins at 1am! What mast are people on who are having problems? I wonder is it a mast issue? It seems strange that most people are using it fine, but theres a small amount who have a problem. Ive used skype and theres no problems. I did ring up customer care though, and checked with them first before using it. Whether they did someting with the modem or not is a different story, but it works!

Are any of you using wireless routers?

if so, please disconnect them and see if you're experiencing the disconnections.

My connection has stayed up all night while my laptop has been connected directly to the modem.

Still getting crappy pings, but no disconnections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm using a wireless router alright. The thing I noticed is that the green light on the ethernet port on the pback of the clearwire box keeps flickering as if the connection is going on and off all the time. I'll try connefting it directly now to see if ti makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote:
    I'm using a wireless router alright. The thing I noticed is that the green light on the ethernet port on the pback of the clearwire box keeps flickering as if the connection is going on and off all the time. I'll try connefting it directly now to see if ti makes a difference.

Yes same here.
    One of the support guys rang me to say he'd seen my last post on boards, he took a wireless router home yesterday and couldn't get it to sync with the modem either.

I might play around with MTU settings later today, could possibly be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Ive had my laptop connected directly for the last week and getting shocking pings. However its gotten better from 130kb to 600-700kbs.

Thats still terrible for a 2meg line.

B

well connecting directly to the laptop made no difference at all. Tried ringing them a while ago but only got an answering machine telling me the office hours...emmm this is office hours.

anyway will ring tomorrow.

No they are there, Christian rang me about an hour ago.

Where abouts do you live, Ludo? Do you know if you're on the Guinness mast?

This is WEIRD.
    In iTunes, I can see (and play music from) a library called "Conor Griffith's music".

I did a netstat and iTunes is connecting to a clearwire subscriber IP.

That's eh....not supposed to happen.

He has great taste in music, though.

• Advertisement

Yep on the guiness mast. Was just talking to christian too.... Seems to be a nice guy, and really interested in helping solve this problem.

Good signal strength, good quality on the line, but getting a heck of a lot of interference from something.....

Are we all on the guiness mast havin this problem?

Line was fine yesterday (was playing WoW for a few hours with 100ish latency)

B

Powered off the modem for a few mins. Turnewd it on and the speed went back to 400/700 Mbs. Not great but better than the 60 i had all day.

B

Nah,...I'm on the bray mast and getting crap pings since friday night...everything else is fine

not getting disconnected now while connected to my wireless router, but pings are all over the place.

--- www.clearwire.ie ping statistics ---
    990 packets transmitted, 882 packets received, 10% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 30.257/89.247/478.581/67.969 ms

Well rang Clearwire customer care there about the latency issues. They said they will run some tests and get back to me. They said they have received some reports about this but dont think there is a problem..emm yes there is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I needed to login into work this morning at 5am and could not get a connection, reset it a couple of times and it was not picking up a Ip adress 3 bars green.

Couple of problems yesterday - crap pings and high latency...
    Connecting to Killiney.

Ringing them later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'm admittedly not a very frequent user, particularly not last weekend, but I haven't seen any major problems. I don't play games so the occasional ping spike wouldn't bother me, but if I run ping tests I've never seen ping spikes.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the speeds to/from various locations vary quite a bit. Just looking at speed test sites, irishisptest tells me 2.25M/243K, adslguide.org.uk tells me 1M/54K. That's a pretty significant difference in speed.

Incidently, why do people even use the ClearWire service? It's no cheaper than BT Ireland's ADSL and certainly not as good. The only reason I signed up for it is that it was available the next day whereas ADSL without a phone line is a two month process and I needed it quickly. The nomadic aspect of the service is useful too.

I got clearwire because I don't want a phoneline in my name.

Please RING THEM if you're having problems, rather than mention it on here.

I'm still getting constant disconnects.

Also, seeing another clearwire users iTunes library is quite worrying from a security POV :-(

I incidently just found out that they block VoIP traffic by default. The person I spoke to in Clearwire didn't exactly instill me with confidence that they will enable it, even though I understand from other people that they will. The sales rep told me that VoIP is not blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

They monitor this thread anyway so it's in their own interest to resolve these issues. I'm not a gamer so latency and pings don't bother me but I've had no problems with connection or speed in the 3 months I've had the service here in Swords.

The iTunes thing is interesting, the Clearwire "modem" when connected directly to your computer gives it the clearwire i.p. address, e.g. 83.134.x.x etc instead of a home ip like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.X. Doesn't this make your machine part of a LAN with anyone else doing the same without a router and NAT on that same subnet?

Have you tried to "Go >> Connect To Server . . " with that user via SMB or ATP ? Are you able to reach him all the time, maybe he leaves his computer connected 24hrs. Whats his musical taste like ;)

ZEN

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    I incidently just found out that they block VoIP traffic by default. The person I spoke to in Clearwire didn't exactly instill me with confidence that they will enable it, even though I understand from other people that they will. The sales rep told me that VoIP is not blocked.

That is absolute bullsh*t.

Please check your facts before you post.

VOIP works fine on Clearwire, I have been using Skype and SkypeOut with no problems since I got my connection set up and it works just fine. Last time I used it was Saturday.

ZENER wrote:
    The iTunes thing is interesting, the Clearwire "modem" when connected directly to your computer gives it the clearwire i.p. address, e.g. 83.134.x.x etc instead of a home ip like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.X. Doesn't this make your machine part of a LAN with anyone else doing the same without a router and NAT on that same subnet?

Home IP? No ISP gives you a 192.168.*.* IP...that would be an internal IP and wouldn't work on the internet.

You're supposed to get a public IP, but you certainly shouldn't be able to connect to shares on other users machines, I've never seen this sort of thing before. Maybe it was just a glitch, haven't seen any more shares since.

eth0_ wrote:
    Home IP? No ISP gives you a 192.168.*.* IP...that would be an internal IP and wouldn't work on the internet.

You're supposed to get a public IP, but you certainly shouldn't be able to connect to shares on other users machines, I've never seen this sort of thing before. Maybe it was just a glitch, haven't seen any more shares since.

That's what I mean, You usually place your machine behind a router or gateway which has 2 ports with different network addresses - the WAN address clearwires address and the home ip address range i.e. 192.168. . . . When I connect the clearwire box directly to the ethernet port on my Mac I get an IP address something like 83.134.x.x which is the IP assigned to the modem from clearwires DHCP pool. In theory then anyone else doing the same on the same subnet is part of a local network. It's only when you stick a router with NAT that your home network becomes hidden. Am I making sense here ??

ZEN

eth0_ wrote:

VOIP works fine on Clearwire, I have been using Skype and SkypeOut with no problems since I got my connection set up and it works just fine. Last time I used it was Saturday.

Who said anything about using Skype?

By the way, would that be facts like

Clearwire: "Yes we block VoIP."

Blueface: "Yes, Clearwire blocks VoIP by default."

You've qualified for my ignore list. Well done.

Clearwires network should have NAT etc on it, you shouldn't be able to connect to other users as if you were on a LAN.

eth0_ wrote:

I use Skype too also without problems. The only services they seem to be limiting are P2P and bit-torrents where they seem to restrict available bandwidth for those services. Someone else here called it port shaping I think.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Blaster99 wrote:
    Who said anything about using Skype?

By the way, would that be facts like

Clearwire: "Yes we block VoIP."

Blueface: "Yes, Clearwire blocks VoIP by default."

You've qualified for my ignore list. Well done.

Well maybe you give us the name of the Clearwire Rep that said this because I use VOIP with both blueface and broadtalk without any problems. Seams like some Rep was missinformed.

I know they block it in the US but in Ireland it works!

eth0_ wrote:
    Clearwires network should have NAT etc on it, you shouldn't be able to connect to other users as if you were on a LAN.

If my address is 83.134.159.34 and yours is 83.134.159.35 then why can't I ? If we are both running iTunes music sharing then we both in theory can see each others music as you did. As we are on the same subnet there wouldn't be a router between us to block this type of traffic would there ? So in theory we should also be able to see each others SMB shares etc. This is after all why NAT is utilised isn't it ?

I'm not sure how the Clearwire box works, whether or not it has any NAT capabilities or is simply an interface to their network.

ZEN

Well maybe you give us the name of the Clearwire Rep that said this because I use VOIP with both blueface and broadtalk without any problems. Seams like some Rep was missinformed.

I know they block it in the US but in Ireland it works!

I was surprised too it has to be said. I don't know who the Clearwire rep was, some girl. She was adamant that they block it and checked it with somebody else. She's going to get back to me about enabling it. The Blueface guy said other people have had the same problem. I haven't checked if Skype works yet.

Did you get the service setup during the trials?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Blaster99 wrote:
    I was surprised too it has to be said. I don't know who the Clearwire rep was, some girl. She was adamant that they block it and checked it with somebody else. She's going to get back to me about enabling it. The Blueface guy said other people have had the same problem. I haven't checked if Skype works yet.

Did you get the service setup during the trials?

I'm connected via vpn and voip at the mo, using clearwire. quality is fine. I don't use a commercial voip provider or sip, but use h.323 to our custom built software / serer in boston.

Advertisement