Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Via the sales number 1-800-882-333 I got through to tech support where a lady "i'm just a messenger here, I don't do decision" told me that the outage should be resolved soon, as a matter of fact as soon as the onsite person calls her and tells her that the hardware upgrade has worked.

Excuse me, hardware upgrade during business hours?

She says she is confident that once the hardware is installed the service will be back to very good performance. When presses if that is the performance before their "optimizing" she said that it will be according to their specs.

This was written on a 1 bar clearwire connection that comes and goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just rang them AGAIN. Different story this time. Now no rubbish about optimizing their network...they more or less admitted they dont know what the issue is and they may need to get Call of Duty set up in there to see what the issue is with gaming...I guess if the guy in customer support reads these boards, then he knows who I am now :-) They love gamers he said as we are low bandwith users...then why after I have rang them three or four times do they not try to fix the issue, but only fob me off with lame excuses.

I told them I will be cancelling unless they sort this asap as I may as well have dial-up if all I can do with their service is browse the web. They have already lost two potential customers over this as neighbours of mine who also cant get BB from eircom asked me about Clearwire.

He is going to go talk to a supervisor now and ring me back in ten minutes...I wont be holding my breath as they have told me every other time I called that they would ring back also.

My clearwire is back since about 1315 with average performance (not as good as 2 weeks ago) and most things work again (PPTP VPN is still not working) but surfing, VoIP and VPN tunnel is working fine now. Pings to most things are down to 41 ms (not that that is good) but it at least allows me to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'm good too, except for gaming. One thing I noticed now. I'm getting 4 steady lights on the box. I never got more than 2 or 3 during office hours before. Only late in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Mine is fine today no problems so far......

Ludo keep at them i had them ring them a couple of times before they figured out what the problem was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 twentyfive

No Voip since yesterday morning. Skype won't even sign on and in Voipbuster I can hear the other end but they can't hear me.:)

Spoke to soon yesterday, anybody else playing WoW ?

My new problem with clearwire is logging into wow - Goes wrong during connecting,
    Unable to connect to the wow servers!

Rebooted the Pc, the modem router, same problem -
    Diconnected the router connected modem direct same problem,
    Can Browse the web fine - and downloads 250Kbs.

Still no wow,

Diconnected - unplugged the modem, Connect Ripwave modem to router fired it up - Logged into Wow within 3 Seconds -

Back to router made sure required ports are open, thats all good.

Suspect clearwire might or are throtteling certain ports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Suprise suprise ringing them UP AGAIN TODAY AND I'M NOT PAYING THEM FOR ALL LAST WEEK when they diconnected me by accident for 4 days either.

Also seriously thinking of getting rid of it now, all i ever have is problems with it and heartache.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Sadly stuck with them for the moment, money and house moving matters dictating in this case :(

However if anyone is looking into getting Clearwire as this thread shows don't.

Currently this is the service I receive from them (with 5 bars on the modem):

- Slow often timing out http service, can browse the web but at timess the times getting to some sites are rediculous

- No VOIP, disconnects from Skype every 2-3 minutes, calls don't work, I can hear people but not speak to them. Teamspeak (another VOIP app) has the same problem however when I try to speak on that, immediate disconnect.

- Slow downloads, in the region of 11kbps last night, getting up to speeds of 40 kbps when it was 'good'.

- Unable to login to Steam or BF2 period for the last 3 days. Hangs on both connections.

- When you do get into a game, enormous varying pings

CS:S | min ping 78 max ping 980 | usually up and down between 78 and 350 every couple of seconds

BF2 | min ping 89 max ping 1200 | usually up and down beteeen 89 and 250 every couple of seconds

- Customer service, friendly people who don't give a ****e about what problems your having and seem to be only trained in fobbing you off.

- Care management, don't care about you and don't ring you despite you waiting for their phone call :mad:

- Crap excuses and poor service overall, reading through this thread you'd almost believe if clearwire were a person it would be suffering from an accute case of schizophrenia. They have changed their excuses more times than I can remember. First they throttled P2P, then they blocked it, then they didn't touch it.

One gets the impression that those who run clearwire's network in Ireland don't really know how to a) run a network b) manage a network c) manage customer relations.

Well after being promised a call back yesterday...they amazingly did ten minutes later. However it was only to say that he would be talking to management about sorting the gaming issues ASAP as they were in a meeting at the moment and that he would definitely ring me back once he had talked to them. God I would love to be a fly on the wall at a Clearwire management meeting. Plenty of material for Dilbert there I would guess.
    Obviously enough I havent heard anything since.

The odd thing last night was that refreshing the list of servers in COD and COD2 took FOREVER...however I was actually able to play perfectly on one server that eventualy came back.

By the way, I could log into Steam but pings all over the place.

HTTP is fine, speed being reported as 2.3Mbps which is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

WoW was running at 800-2000 latency again last night. What a joke. Just before i logged on i did a speed test (well 5 of them) and gfot roughly 600-750kbps. Should have been fine to play, but it wasnt.

Lookin into NTL today, and ive basically told clearwire if they dream of taking money from my account before this issue is resolved, it will involve gfoing to court.

They have till friday then im going to post their modem back to them.

• Advertisement

I'm now very impressed with them again, they just showed that they know what they are doing.

My VPN problems are sort solved, they modified my connection to allow the ipsec/udp traffic to both my main entry points with a higher priority and now working on my VPN works again.

They are now looking into the VoiP (Blueface) issue but I'm confident that they will solve that one too.

I had a nice conversation with the Network Manager and he is absolutly competent and I'm sure he will sort out the rest of the problems that exist soon.

If they read this they know who I am but hey, I have no problems with that

As mentioned earlier, I understand why they block P2P connecations so I don't have a problem with that but it's really needed to allow us working and if they would have dealt with this issue 1 week ago a lot of harsh words and frustrations on both sides could have been saved.

So let's see if this stays stable now.

Do you know if the solution to your VPN issues would also solve the gaming issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tsbooze

They are now looking into the VoiP (Blueface) issue but I'm confident that they will solve that one too.

Dublin-Texas: I have Blueface connecting over clearwire and had a problem taht if i placed an outgoing call i could hear the other person but they could not hear me. After reading through Vonage forums which use that same setup as blueface i discovered that this is assosiated with the SPI firewall on my router. So i disabled the SPI firewall and problem fixed.:) Also do not use port forwarding for SIP as this can also cause the problem.

Also if you are having call quality issues change the profile on your softphone or ATA to use the G729a protocol and then set it to only use the prefered protocol.

I have had this setup for the past month and a half and have experienced no issues in that time/

G.729a uses less bandwitdh than full blown G.711 so you might notice a drop in call audio quality.

G.711 uses about 100Kbps including overheads. G.729a uses much much less.

And I also agree that one way audio can nearly 99% of the time be put down to a problem on your firewall.

tsbooze/IrishTLR

Thanks for your tips, I am going to try that out this evening on the ata, the softphone usualy has no problems (I use the SJLab one, with x-ten I have problems).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

like many others, have not been able to play games online with the exceptions of eve online and planetside...tho the pings i got for planetside last night were a tad odd....they are still like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tsbooze

Dublin-Texas
    Don't bother with x-lite as it keeps defaulting to G711u codec which requires a very stable connection which clearwire don't provide. If you have X-Pro ensure that only GSM and G729 are highlighted at the bottom of the display and retry, this should resolve the issue.

The reason that I recommend using G729a is because G711 is primarily designed for use on high bandwidth internal LANs, whereas G729a is highly compressed and although the audio quality is slightly lower (comparable to the difference between 64kbps WMA to 128kbps mp3 files) the overall quality of the calls should be better because the smaller bandwidth is less likely to be impacted by other users on the clearwire network seeing that it is contended 20:1 and one user alone doing any type of download would significantly reduce the bandwidth available to you thereby causing the higher bandwidth application to skip.

Here is a link to a site to test the quality of voip over your connection
    http://www.testyourvoip.com/

"Preserve Speech Quality" gives stats using G711
    "Conserve Bandwidth" gives stats using G729

Well just tried out COD and COD2 again and there seems to be an improvement. Able to play both games now online. Pings still aren't great...60/80 at the moment but that is enough. One server gave connection interrupted but others seem ok.

Well done to them if they have finally sorted this issue (after nearly 2 weeks!!!) but I will need to keep an eye on it to see if this is just a temporary period of usability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Still an utterly sh*t service for me.

They've never contacted me. Not about solving the issues, and not about cancelling (they said someone would ring me about that).

Crap company, crap service. They're just another IBB and i'd advise you all to move to wired dsl because Clearwire obviously don't have the technical ability to run an ISP...or they're just barefaced liars who won't admit they're blocking/throttling ports.

64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=824.932 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=741.205 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=858.380 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=832.953 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=6 ttl=60 time=794.755 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=7 ttl=60 time=891.039 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=8 ttl=60 time=442.733 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=9 ttl=60 time=626.818 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=10 ttl=60 time=982.192 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.250: icmp_seq=11 ttl=60 time=869.257 ms
    ^C
    --- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    13 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 23% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 442.733/786.426/982.192/145.144 ms

tsbooze wrote:
    Dublin-Texas
    Don't bother with x-lite as it keeps defaulting to G711u codec which requires a very stable connection which clearwire don't provide. If you have X-Pro ensure that only GSM and G729 are highlighted at the bottom of the display and retry, this should resolve the issue.

The reason that I recommend using G729a is because G711 is primarily designed for use on high bandwidth internal LANs, whereas G729a is highly compressed and although the audio quality is slightly lower (comparable to the difference between 64kbps WMA to 128kbps mp3 files) the overall quality of the calls should be better because the smaller bandwidth is less likely to be impacted by other users on the clearwire network seeing that it is contended 20:1 and one user alone doing any type of download would significantly reduce the bandwidth available to you thereby causing the higher bandwidth application to skip.

Here is a link to a site to test the quality of voip over your connection
    http://www.testyourvoip.com/

"Preserve Speech Quality" gives stats using G711
    "Conserve Bandwidth" gives stats using G729

I use G.711 on a daily basis with little or no problems. Also in conjunction with some heavy duty internet stuff in the background. So I wouldn't say DON'T use it. Try it and see.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    --- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    13 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 23% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 442.733/786.426/982.192/145.144 ms
    This is how it looks for me this evening:

Pinging 82.195.136.250 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 35ms

So there must be something mega wrong in your area eth0_.

I'm not saying everything is great here but 35ms in average is not bad.

Yeah, my pings from the command prompt are perfect aswell. Whenever I have tried it (often enough) I always get excellent response times and 0% packet loss. There definitely seems to be an issue in your area Eth0

Anyone having patchy connection issues at the moment?

Again, all my stats look fine but Remote Desktop over VPN is VERY slow. I'm not sure whether it's my end [Clearwire] or the far end.

Oh, I'm getting one way VoIP audio too at the moment. Again, not sure which end it's on as that problem co-incides with a major software upgrade on our system 2 days ago.

Went down for about five minutes about 30 mins agao here (Bray). Came back again though once I plugged out the box and put it back on again (that may have been a coincidence probably).

Everything else has been fine for the last couple of days otherwise though for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have to reset my modem a few times a day because it loses it's IP address.

This is the best Clearwire has been in two weeks:

PING www.clearwire.ie (85.134.255.242): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=78.352 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=68.895 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=144.674 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=64.472 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=51.995 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=55.757 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=7 ttl=62 time=52.854 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=8 ttl=62 time=47.128 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=9 ttl=62 time=38.352 ms
    64 bytes from 85.134.255.242: icmp_seq=10 ttl=62 time=59.451 ms
    ^C
    --- www.clearwire.ie ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 9% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 38.352/66.193/144.674/28.266 ms

here's mine on this cold saturday morning..

Pinging www.clearwire.ie [85.134.255.242] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=61
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=61
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=61
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 85.134.255.242:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 56ms

I got back on them the other night regarding problems with wow a couple of tweaks made works for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

There appears to be an issue with Video Streaming now. I cannot get any sites to work without stuttering and re-buffering.3 days ago they were all fine but now all the video streaming sites that I have tried do not work anymore. Is anyone else having this problem?
    This site seems to have a selection to try:
    http://mediahopper.com/

P2P had improved dramatically also on clearwire. What was 1Kbps or zero for the last couple of weeks is now up around the 23/24 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Sefvice is gone to s*** again. Below 100kbps......

Im on the guinness mast with 3/4 bars if anyone is suffering the same......

Seemed to be fine recently, but seems to have collapsed again....

B

• Advertisement

Same out in killiney last night playing WoW latency 3000+ :eek: Downloads tipping on 90kbps/100kbps, three bars.

Couldn't logon to the servers ,

I called them last week and when i was on the phone to them they assured me p2p ports where not being blocked........ yeah right!

Anybody know what the deal is with canceling clearwire its not working for me one bit, constantly problem.

My ripwave compared to this is ten times more reliable !!! and that thing sucks big time!

Advertisement