Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Everything was fine for me all weekend (Bray mast). Well except P2P is back to crap again. Seemed to improve for about 15 mins on saturday, then went again.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Oh my God........

Currently under 56K for the last hour (was at work all day)

I cant take this anymore....

Can anyone let me know whats required for metro mast wise ect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

hi all,

im with clearwire for over 2 months now, im paying for 1mb down, i rarely get this. its also constantly down, ive been keeping a log since last week. have i any basis to get out of the contract under the sale of goods and supply of services act. im not getting what i am paying for (goods/services are not as described) has anyone else managed to get out of a clearwire contract on this basis?

thanks,
    Luke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I'm looking for the same answer, to get out of the bloody contract.

Even tonight its rubbish again!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Everything is pretty fine for me but not perfect.

1.9M down
    between 70 and 160k up

Although the upload speed has been about 270k for the weekend up until late tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

I've got P2P for the first time in weeks but it comes and goes. Streaming video still not working properly even at low bit rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

P2P is very erratic. Comes and goes as Postie says which makes it a waste of time when trying to download anything over a few megs.

Streaming audio and video work fine for me. Well audio was fine last night but i havent tried video since saturday.

Download speeds are over 2Mbps constantly and all gaming latency issues appear resolved.

Overall I am quite happy with the service at the moment. Would be very happy if P2P was sorted though.

However, I will not be recommending the service to anyone in my area as I dont want my service degraded by too many others using the Bray mast also :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Thats it. I'm gonna hurt someone.

Clearwire is now refusing to let me stream LO-FI without stuttering.

Tech Support here I come...

EDIT: Seriously...wtf?!? Their tech support is open til 9pm...I ring and I'm told that its not actually tech support but an out of hours service that has no tech knowledge at all. All he can do is take my name and number and get them to ring me back tomorrow. A f*****g joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

It was fine at 6. Now its back blow 56/100kbps.......

No way on earth i can use this service. Thankfully one of my friends is a lawyer, and a good one too....

Im going to let them no in no uncertain terms that if they charge me im going to sue them. Ive lost business and had to travel far to get to a stable connection so i could do my job.....

When i was signing up for this, one of the things i told them i required was stability. If the line was 1meg but stable i would accept it, but its not. I also have this in writing from the guy that set it up.

This is unnaceptable. I signed up for a 2meg line, and currently would have better speeds if i was on dial-up.

This company is a joke. I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy.
    And to top it off, i was gauranteed they would call me at lunch time today. Have they? No.

--
    Thats what they said to me. I told them i coudl take a call anytime after 1..... Nothing

Let me know, if you could, how you get on breaking the contract.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I sent them a email a mile long today - no reply to the mail.

Will forward it again tomorrow and including logfiles , traces, ping , latency everything dates , times.

Not waisting my time with it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Strangely my connection is fairly good now. I can actually use my wireless router with it, without the clearwire modem throwing a hissy fit and losing it's IP (despite the fact it's worked perfectly for a month and my router has been tested working on two other connections).

Pings (to clearwire.ie) are not too bad...well, quite frankly they're sh*t, but 100 times better than how they were the other day.

Can use p2p again but it's definitely been crippled!

Still can't sustain VPN connections over IPSEC for long.

I'd advise everyone to cancel, it's taken them three weeks now and they still haven't got the service back to normal.

A guy from clearwire rang me on Thursday to arrange collection of the modem...I stayed in all day and no one showed up!
    Ordered DSL yesterday, can't wait to get a DECENT broadband connection.

--- www.clearwire.ie ping statistics ---
    968 packets transmitted, 938 packets received, 3% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 34.229/75.767/720.143/62.864 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Here ya go... enough to make you cancel immediately. Have to get the cha ching for DSL sorted asap to get away from these jokers!

The following was tested several times and my pinging and tracerouting to other servers around the net were similar or just extremely ****e! :mad:

Speed Test on www.irishisptest.com

Download: 1.18 Kbps
    Upload: 322 Kbps

Ping to ebay.com:

Pinging hp-core.ebay.com [66.135.208.90] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.135.208.90:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Trace route to ebay.com:

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny Tunders>tracert www.ebay.com

Tracing route to hp-core.ebay.com [66.135.208.90]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 27 ms 24 ms 25 ms 85.134.128.3
    2 30 ms 21 ms 33 ms fe-0-0-0_0.bdr001.dublin.clearwire.ie [85.134.25
    5.13]
    3 29 ms 22 ms 24 ms ge-5-0-0.403.ar1.dub1.gblx.net [67.17.211.53]
    4 46 ms 49 ms 49 ms so4-0-0-2488M.ar2.FRA2.gblx.net [67.17.65.78]
    5 49 ms 49 ms 74 ms 213.206.131.29
    6 88 ms 57 ms 49 ms sl-bb20-fra-15-0.sprintlink.net [217.147.96.33]

7 54 ms 56 ms 51 ms sl-bb21-par-4-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.129.149]

8 135 ms 120 ms 125 ms sl-bb24-nyc-9-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.9.166]
    9 134 ms 174 ms 292 ms sl-bb25-nyc-10-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.13.182]

10 154 ms 183 ms 158 ms sl-bb24-chi-2-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.9.156]
    11 171 ms 163 ms 183 ms sl-bb20-che-2-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.161]

12 192 ms 200 ms 258 ms sl-bb21-che-15-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.15.142]

13 189 ms 198 ms 217 ms sl-bb22-stk-6-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.141]

14 231 ms 197 ms 197 ms sl-bb23-sj-10-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.113]

15 215 ms 200 ms 204 ms sl-gw19-sj-15-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.0.250]
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I have no P2P, No streaming video, low quality streaming audio, laggy gaming, and I suspect this might be the way it is going to stay. Here is a quote about Clearwire USA:
    Clearwire proudly states that they will block any application they don't like -- including non-Bell Canada VoIP and any streaming audio or video offering. In other words, Clearwire's wireless broadband is becoming close to useless, because they want to control what you can and can't do over it. They claim they need to do this "to ensure network performance reliability," but can't explain how it's okay for them to offer VoIP, but Vonage must be blocked. More importantly, if Clearwire is saying they can't have a stable network when people are doing VoIP or streaming media, it certainly raises a lot of questions about the quality of WiMax.

Same company...sound familiar??

Um...you can't ping ebay.com

Nope, couldn't ping ebay for 20 mins, pinged other services like google and amazon, these came up but had either a) ****e return times or b) huge packet loss.

Two of my clan servers one in the UK and one in Ireland were not pingable and when I did manage to get logged on to them later in the day had pings in the 900-1100 range :mad:

One more thing to note... downloads of media files/ mpgs, mp3's, .avi's and divX came down at an alarmingly fast speed of 1.4 kbps! That's been like that for two weeks!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Nope, couldn't ping ebay for 20 mins, pinged other services like google and amazon, these came up but had either a) ****e return times or b) huge packet loss.

Two of my clan servers one in the UK and one in Ireland were not pingable and when I did manage to get logged on to them later in the day had pings in the 900-1100 range :mad:

One more thing to note... downloads of media files/ mpgs, mp3's, .avi's and divX came down at an alarmingly fast speed of 1.4 kbps! That's been like that for two weeks!!!!!!

Ebay will not work if you have packet loss!!

:o didn't realise that ebay wasn't pingable... however I had nearly the same result above for pinging 82.195.155.9 (my clans BF2 server), this did have good times to it for about 5-10 mins then when I checked later it had gone up again. It went down every now and again but times remained quite high for the rest of the night. Huge times of 250-300 to it as well whenever you could see it.

eth0_ wrote:
    I'd advise everyone to cancel, it's taken them three weeks now and they still haven't got the service back to normal.

A guy from clearwire rang me on Thursday to arrange collection of the modem...I stayed in all day and no one showed up!
    Ordered DSL yesterday, can't wait to get a DECENT broadband connection.

What did you say to them you just rang up and said i want to cancel my subscription?

What about fine's for breaking contracts??

I want to do the same later on today but need a bit more ammo ;)

They never even bothered replying to the email i sent them.

Mac daddy wrote:
    What did you say to them you just rang up and said i want to cancel my subscription?

What about fine's for breaking contracts??

I want to do the same later on today but need a bit more ammo ;)

They never even bothered replying to the email i sent them.

Well I just told them I couldn't wait any longer for them to resolve the issues, that I couldn't do my job because I couldn't rely on the service when I was on call.

A guy rang me and said someone would collect the modem but never mentioned any cancellation fee. Of course no one has shown up to collect the modem thus far.

Connection went to sh*t this morning, lo-fi radio stream was rebuffering constantly.

• Advertisement

Mac Daddy, I'm going to cancel too, if you need ammo, do as a I am going to do, collate all emails/contact you had with them and prove their obvious lack of support or ability to solve these issues.

Secondly if you want to cancel, don't tell them, just cancel the DD on your account and once that has cleared ring them up and say I want to cancel, that'll stop them from rushing to rob the cancellation fee from you.

You may wish to go as far as me and ask for all money's paid for back when you do cancel. Stick the knife in a little ;)

Just got of the phone to them -
    Explained why i wanted rid of it nice guy evry helpfull

He gave me a adress where to post the modem to anyone else needs it PM me.

Posting it off tommorrow canceling the direct debit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

07/12/05 and another night of poor performance.

Clearwire = packet loss & high latency.

I dont know where the loss is coming from but i am getting lots of it in the Portebello area.

Its the worst(horrible) when i point towards the Guiness mast but a little better (but bad) when i point it east.

I get 5 bars connection.

Clearwire please sort this out asap before you loose all of us.

Woody_FX wrote:
    Clearwire = packet loss & high latency

That's a very unfair and very wide sweeping accusation. I have Clearwire without most of the problems you are experiencing.

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
        Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 998, Lost = 2 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 249ms, Average = 33ms

But having said that, how is streaming at the moment. I'm trying to stream 2FM and it is patchy at best

Streaming is very patchy for me too...streaming video is not working at all. Another problem is skype's audio is breaking up. Works fine on wired adsl (eircom) and Digiweb but not on Clearwire.

Just spoke to Tech Support about the streaming issues. He said that there has been problems for 2 or 3 days now, and that the Tech Manager is working 'round the clock' to fix this. He said it was anticipated that the issue would be resolved this afternoon.

We'll see.

I complained to them a week ago so they are being a little economic with the truth there I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 umnum

Just cancelled my clearwire contract and returned the modem. I've been a customer for about three months and like almost everyone here has said their service has become almost un-useable.

• Advertisement

I cannot connect to Steam at the moment and am itching for a game. Can anyone verify that this is a general steam problem or clearwire?

Can anyone connect to steam from a non clearwire connection?

Advertisement