Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClearWire in ****e tonight?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

IrishTLR wrote:
    I cannot connect to Steam at the moment and am itching for a game. Can anyone verify that this is a general steam problem or clearwire?

Can anyone connect to steam from a non clearwire connection?

Getting a connection error here for Steam also. I am also on Clearwire though, so that doesnt really narrow down the problem for you.

I would suspect it is a steam issue but now sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

It's clearwire, same problem here, however people in my clan are chatting with me on TS here and they are in no problems, based in Dublin, London and the Netherlands.

This has been an ongoing issue for the last three weeks on clearwire, connection to steam going up and down! I feel they're playing with their ports again! Naughty!

Yep...It's definitely Clearwire. Can't connect to Call of Duty either.

FECKIN MUPPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Cant get on WoW or Steam.

:(

Lets hope they are fixing something so when it does come back our gaming connections are better.

lol, i wish, this has been going on for nearly this whole month now! these guys are full of ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Why is there so much latency and lost packets?

Are we loosing them between the modem and the mast or is it there servers in their base that are overworked?

Had high latency before the launch but started to get all the loss packets since they launched.

52% packet loss last night.

well my connection was perfect for gaming for the last two weeks.
    The previous two weeks it was unusable.

This is rediculous if it is going to be gone long term again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SpoonOg

lol, i wish, this has been going on for nearly this whole month now! these guys are full of ****e!

I too have been locked out of Steam, and BF2 emailed Clearwire, rang there help line, its switched over to FAX - how helpfull! Not impressed - have been defending them to many other poor users and now I get shafted too

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

No WoW for me either. Speed has jumped from 56k to ranging between 500-800kbps.....
    Download speed is a measly 5k from a dublin server.

At least webex works, so i dont have to travel all the way to work if i need to do anything....

Wondering on the speeds though...

We'll see if i geta call.....

Guess they are screwing with the ports again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

No coh, no xfire, no steam, no bf2.... only online games ive got working so far are eve, swg and planetside(us west server only)....also on clearwire... was fine for the last week...just hope this isnt the start of another 2 crappy weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Wish I had checked here first. Been trying to get into WoW all day.

Getting connecting... authenticating and then no further. Something wrong with the port setup I think.

Resorted to playing EVE instead. Pain in the ass, clearwire will be getting an abusive phone call in the morning.

DamoVOTF wrote:
    Wish I had checked here first. Been trying to get into WoW all day.

Getting connecting... authenticating and then no further. Something wrong with the port setup I think.

Resorted to playing EVE instead. Pain in the ass, clearwire will be getting an abusive phone call in the morning.

Haaa Phonecall! You'll be lucky! they have it switched to FAX - I'm going to send them one in the morning (if its got any paper in it - Any Bets??)

cant live without CSS ( going to have a hairy Fit if I can't get in tomorrow )

stayed up till now hoping to get in to my clan server - giving up now - very depressed!

Still no WoW. Same situation as Damo. Too drunk to play anyway, but wanted to check.......

Line degraded back to 200kbps....

This blows chunks......

At least my GF is rejoicing that WoW isnt workin......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Thats the same problem i have been having with Wow and clearwire for the past couple of weeks, and when it does connect latency hits the roof up to 3000Ms.

At least i have got rid of clearwire and they will reimburse moneys :D

Same latency issues for me. Unfortunately DSL is not an option and NTL isnt available........

However this morning i did some tests while readin my mail (and boards) before i left for work. A constant 2.3-27Mbps.

Ive NEVER had that with this service.

Hopefully they can keep it up. Just fix WoW now is all i need.....

Have to let off some steam! Sorry but ya have to love it...

I've been told time and time before that gaming is high priority on the clearwire 'network', laughable. IMHO they have pulled an IBB, they overloaded a very feeble network with users. When I was on my month for a euro trial everything worked perfectly except for a three day outtage, however it hadn't launched then.

Pings were around 30-40 in both CS:S and BF2, Steam always logged on, VOIP worked, downloads were 120 kbps, bit torrent and P2P were up and running & their own engineers asked me to use streaming media to check my connection. Their support staff were helpful then too, an engineer would immediately fix your problem.

Alot has changed since they went official, pings up to 1200 in CS:S and BF2, Steam rarely logs on, VOIP works every now and again with crap quality when it does, P2P traffic blocked and streaming media frowned upon. Support staff are next to useless. I can only imagine a big red button that turns off the phone in their office when they start breaking stuff! Engineers are now above the contact of 'ordinary' users. I have asked many a time to speak to one and time after time I have been denied access.

One would wonder what sort of tech support they have considering emails, phone calls and probably even smoke signals aren't returned!

Just to frustrate me that little bit extra, I know a little thread on Metro similar to this thread exists on boards, alot of similar problems (but not as crap service) have been brought up. However, the nice metro people seem to give a hoot and come and actually help people on the forum, tell people when there is going to be outages etc etc...

Clearwire know of this forum folks, there staff tell me they read boards, i've made them aware of this thread, have I seen one post explaining all of this S H I T E ??? No!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

I could not agree more deconstruct. They are quickly adopting the policies of their parent comany in the states who,if you look up the American boards, are treating there customers in the same way and blocking all the same services. An honest explanation on this board as to what is going on - like Digiweb have done - would go a long way. There has been 5660 views of this thread...that can't be good for business...

*NODS* It's just decent business sense! Course I don't think that's their forte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Spoke to Tech Support again re: streaming audio. Was told it was a bigger problem than first thought and will ring me later to let me know how it is going.

If they a) do not ring me and b) do not get it sorted by the end of the weekend, they will have lost yet another customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

they have lost me already, sending back modem on monday!

too bad cos they seemed so much better pre launch.

• Advertisement

Was on to them this morning, I was told that there was a human error during an upgrade, seeminly the guy who is fixing the "error" will ring me when he gets it fixed. Benifit of the doubt? Deconstruct and others seem to think that the issue is some sneaky plan to deny port access for gaming, voip and streaming, that makes little or no sense as that will alienate the core user group in one go. Not the brightest idea, and considering I asked the MD of the company (who was present when I took the pre launch package) and I specifically mentioned how the american clearwire had issues with Voip and streaming was promised that those problems would Not happen here. I've been very happy with my Clearwire up to last week and as I dont p2p or Stream all I need is decent pings to my game servers. If that dries up I'll be OFF to something else (OH GOD of BB why have you Foresaken me) going into CSS withdrawl - its not pretty - if you here of some nutter in McDonalds with an auto Shottie, you'll now who it is. . .

He's a bloody agent! A clearwire agent!!!! :eek: :D

not necessarily true, I believe their core user group wouldn't know what problems they are having and for that matter every time they ring their 'support' would be waived off with excuses along the lines of, check your firewall, machine etc etc etc...

The issue at hand here is a very badly managed network where things like gaming, voip etc are badly affected... the vast majority of people here will agree that their service has slipped into the realm of crap!

Well i gotta say that they have never once asked me to check my lines/firewall/wireless/cable ect........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Can anyone use Skype now? It seems to have died a death the last few days. I would hazard a guess that it's traffic shaped as the voice quality is non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've had to abandon my H.323 VoIP a few days ago. I get one way audio and it's useless. I'm now using my mobile to take calls from USA. Makes no difference to me, but my company are now picking up a HUGE phone bill as my calls last anywhere upto an hour.

I've signed up for a free Blueface account last night, to test it out before I commit to the business package. Can't get the thing to work at all. XTen says "Awaiting proxy login information". I don't know whether it's my router or clearwire blocking it. Might try it over my BT DSL connection at the weekend. I'll report back.

Trying to keep a posative outlook on this but it's getting harder as time goes by.

*EDIT* Steam still doesn't connect for me but I CAN stream 2FM audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Shougeki wrote:
    Well i gotta say that they have never once asked me to check my lines/firewall/wireless/cable ect........

[Start Rant]

They have asked me that one before when i couldn't connect the mast,
    She asked me if it is powered on, AFTER ME telling her it keeps on searching and searching but does not pick up the signal, Four days later when i called and demanded it be solved now, Spoke to one of there engineers he checked the settings on the mast side problem => Security Team disabled my account by accident for four days..............

Last week ( WoW problems connecting) when i had it rang up with latency problems checked my connection which was fine no distortion nothing strong signal, Having told them i disconnected the clearwire from the router direct attached it didn't work, Connected my ripwave ( didn't get rid of it use it as a backup) to the router works fine. Clearly not a Router/ Firewall problem, What did they ask me " Have you checked the firewall and your router" My reply are you not listing to what i said.

The first line guys nice guys/Girls but haven't got a clue what they are doing or what to ask people just picking things from the air.

My Overall Experience with clearwire when i first got it => It worked fine, Games, voip, speeds.

Week later when they started to "Improve the Network" => All My problems started lasted three weeks untill i got sick and tired of paying for a service that does not work( For me Killiney mast )

I wouldn't recommend clearwire to my worst enemy for me they are just as Crap as Irish BroadBand.

They are great in providing a service that does not work but thats about it.

[/end Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

IrishTLR wrote:
    I've signed up for a free Blueface account last night, to test it out before I commit to the business package. Can't get the thing to work at all. XTen says "Awaiting proxy login information". I don't know whether it's my router or clearwire blocking it. Might try it over my BT DSL connection at the weekend. I'll report back.

You will (a) need to get Clearwire to unblock the SIP port (b) use the G729 codec which X-Ten doesn't support.

Well I rang this morning at 10. Told that there was a known problem with WoW and other games sites, it was being resolved and I would be rung back by after lunch with an update.

Now I know some people eat lunch late, but 3pm is stretching it a bit.

They have obviously done something to the port 3xxx, what ever it is and I want it fixed now. Or they can refund me the amount I pay them and the amount i pay blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

IrishTLR - Blueface works fine at the moment. As Blaster99 says you need to ring clearwire to get the sip activated and you may need to ring Blueface support and tell them you are with clearwire. They will then switch your account to G729a and it will work with whatever codec Xten uses (but is still working in G729a if you know what I mean) Their support know exactly what they are doing...! You could also use SJphone which has G729a but may put a bit if adware on your PC (not sure). As for skype the audio quality is crap due to whatever restriction clearwire is applying. All in all Clearwire is becoming too messy to be happy with. Great speed if you want to surf websites but there are a lot of ather ISPs to choose from that do so much more.

• Advertisement

Just talked to them and the guy was saying they think it a problem with the configuration of the WoW and must assume Steam traffic, in that it looks like P2P information and is therefore being restricted.

He suggested it was a change they made, I suggested they turned off port shaping and see if that resolved the problem. Said they cant do that.

Basically I have access to the internet elsewhere, I pay them to play games, not look at the login in screen. If they cant do that I will find a company who can offer that service.

They said they are taking a list of those with problems, who will recieve a call when it is fixed. I am not holding my breath, they have until Monday in my case.

Advertisement