Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice and Data. Can a Telco spot the difference ?

Options
  • 12-11-2005 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Can a Telecoms service provider tell if a line is being used for Dial-up Internet rather than just voice calls ? My parents live in a broadband disabled area and are signed up to a Flat rate calls package from an british company and are accessing dial-up via a 1890 number. They have been doing this for about 4 months, and the calls to 1890 have not been charged on the bill, apart from one occasion when it went over the alloted 60mins allowed. The amount of usage is pretty small, maybe 3hrs per week, I know that this company do not allow internet access as part of the calls package. Just wondering if they are not aware that the calls are for internet access, or if they are turning a blind eye because of small amount of usage involved ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

I don't think a telco can spot the difference.

What I do not understand from your post:
    1890 numbers are so-called LoCall calls, special numbers that are charged at the local Eircom rate (but not necessarily at the lower local rate of other providers – hence it is nonsense when gov agencies and other bodies only give their LoCall numbers, which is not doing people a favour with talk bundles or cheaper national call rates than the LoCall rate) and they are not included in flat packages like "talk time" etc. because these flat rate talk packages (and also bundled talk hours) do not include the 1890 range, as they only filter for 0xxx... format numbers (local and national numbers).
    So I do not understand why your parents' talk package could include usage of 1890 numbers.
    Do they connect via telestunt's 1890?

From the time when one had to connect to an ISP via a normal local or national call there are still companies with modem banks online which can still be accessed, and they can be accessed with the flat-rate talk packages, as the numbers start with a zero.
    P.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Peter is right, impossible to tell the difference as a parent (caveat, unless you know the MCHT - Mean Call Hold Time, and can see the pattern telco's even have issues with that).

1890 is a local/lo-call, rate call, so it will be (should be) billed at a local rate by your provider. 1892 and 1893 were brought in to solve a problem associated with percieved abuse of interconnection (multi carrier) networks for transit of calls via eircom.

Ciao,

Thomas.

Advertisement