Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-automatics

Options
  • 12-11-2005 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

What are the most common semi-automatics?
    And what are the most powerful ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I think you need to make your question a bit more specific, it's almost impossible to answer at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Shot guns? Rifles? What country are you talking about?

It is my belief that you can only hold a .22LR semi-auto, is that right? They are ok for a bit of fun but hard to maintain and in my opinion not as good as the bolt action. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Shot guns? Rifles? What country are you talking about?

It is my belief that you can only hold a .22LR semi-auto, is that right? They are ok for a bit of fun but hard to maintain and in my opinion not as good as the bolt action. ;-)

Nope,a couple of folk here have big calibre[223] semi autos an AR15 and a HK SL8,me thinks.For us Southpaws a 22semi is the better option,as left handed bolt actions are abit hard to come by[discrimination,discrimination].Plus a ruger 10/22 with some tuning parts can be a supremly accurate rifle.Nor is it difficult to mantain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Plus a ruger 10/22 with some tuning parts can be a supremly accurate rifle.
    Er...
    Well, let's say "very accurate". And mention that by that time, there's precious little left of the factory 10/22 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

i had a .22 semi automatic rifle but traded it in last year for a bolt action czech made .22, its great fun for targets but if ur plannin on huntin with it stay with .22 semi auto without bolt as if u miss ur 1st shot u can crack another off within a second were as with d bolt action ur lookin at 5 sec or der abouts.

I also have semi auto shot gun, another great job for clay pigeons etc. if ur thinkin of gettin a gun look in2 an under & over as i think der doin away with side by side (i dunno y) mine is single barrell semi holds 4 cartidges

hope dat helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

but if ur plannin on huntin with it stay with .22 semi auto without bolt as if u miss ur 1st shot u can crack another off within a second were as with d bolt action ur lookin at 5 sec or der abouts.

The inherent greater accuracy of bolt actions means missing is less likely with the first shot. If it takes 5 seconds to work a bolt, you're doing something wrong.

Mod hat on: Try and remove the txt spk from your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

vibez wrote:
    I also have semi auto shot gun, another great job for clay pigeons etc. if ur thinkin of gettin a gun look in2 an under & over as i think der doin away with side by side (i dunno y) mine is single barrell semi holds 4 cartidges
    hope dat helps :D

By no means are they 'doin away with side by sides' the SBS is the still the best balanced and lighter gun for game shooting, a semi auto shotgun is commonly frowned upon if shooting in company and positively not welcomed on driven shoots, the Over Under is however best suited to clays.

By no means are they 'doin away with side by sides' the SBS is the still the best balanced and lighter gun for game shooting, a semi auto shotgun is commonly frowned upon if shooting in company and positively not welcomed on driven shoots, the Over Under is however best suited to clays.

AKA Snobbery!! RE semis and pumps Vs the double :rolleyes: Dashed unsporting Yankee invention,etc.About time this old crusty idea that has been knocking around for the near enough last centuary is finally put to bed.It is the man shooting the gun,not the gun that decides the sportsman.
    Yet a good double matched set with a loader can keep up a rate of fire that would put a semi to shame.Give me A Merkel O/U[German Purdey] any day over a side by side.I just find an O/U handles better for me in the field and on the clay range,not to mind I find the single sight plane less distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i have a handmade belgian browning 2 shot semi and i wouldnt trade it for anything perfectly balanced great quaility gun lovely to shoot and can reload it in 2 secs

as for pump and semi .22's i havent tried them so wont comment but i can see the fun in a semi .22 but even so would prefer the bolt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Sparks wrote:
    Er...
    Well, let's say "very accurate". And mention that by that time, there's precious little left of the factory 10/22 :D

Hey I have a super accurate 10/22! Well........ lets just say its still got a 10/22 bolt in it. Thats the only 10/22 part but it still takes 10/22 magazines.

Its made by a great Texas company called Rhineland Arms
    http://www.rhinelandarms.com/R22/R22.htm

r22ted.jpg
    I dont keep a magazine (empty) in it it was just for the photo

And with my Eotech from my Ar-15 mounted works really well for plinking
    handheldr22.jpg

Its dam heavy!! 9Lbs

• Advertisement

Now THAT is a TASTY .22!!!!
    [misquoting Sameul L Jackson lines from Pulp Fiction:D :D ]
    Wouldnt the reciver be still std?As that is your only liscenseable part

How do you find the EoTECH sight?Is it the NV compatible unit?Want to get one of them and wondering how much up in Canada??

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Anyone used the Walther G22?
    You can adjust it for lefties as well AFAIK.

Supposed to be a good 'fun gun' but hear a lot about it being hard to take apart - which would worry me for a semi. Happy with my CZ anyway.

I use a Berreta Teknys - most days I love it - other days I feel like smashing it :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with the gun as such it's just my shooting.

Advertisement