Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The practical side of this...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Isn't that what I said earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Isn't it what I said initially? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Maybe there's an echo in here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Doctor J wrote: »
    Copyright ownership

Intellectual property - do participants agree to their work being open?

Why do people worry so much about copyright -- this is bum idol -- not pop idol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I have NO idea what this thread is about!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Paul man Im really with you here. Not very clear,

I take it your talking about collabs! Its just a lot of guys here are not usually here so im all over the place! Thats a good thing though!

So if its collabs its easy enough to set standards and get things organized but there has to be a clear leader. I dont mind playing my part as mod in projects regardless of if im involved or not.

Ah yes .... MP3s aren't an option as they won't sync to tempo right

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

This forum started out as a Production/Collaboration board if I remember correctly, then evolved into Music Production. This is a 2 year old thread that krd decided to bring back to life. Can't see why mind you.

fitz wrote: »
    This forum started out as a Production/Collaboration board if I remember correctly, the evolved into Music Production. This is a 2 year old thread that krd decided to bring back to life. Can't see why mind you.

Aha! Now it makes sense ........ sort of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Ah yes .... MP3s aren't an option as they won't sync to tempo right

Come again? Audio is audio is audio.

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    Come again? Audio is audio is audio.

Not So!

If you convert a Wav that's absolutley steady tempo wise, say done with a drum machine , to Mp3 and run it with the original you'll find minor tempo flucutations.

If you drop it into Ableton Live and do the 'Warp' thing you'll see a ton of variation.

I guess it's only to be expected with MP3s as their creation involves just 'throwing' away some of the raw data.

If you convert a Wav that's absolutley steady tempo wise, say done with a drum machine , to Mp3 and run it with the original you'll find minor tempo flucutations.

Never found that myself - and I do that on a weekly basis. Any info to back that up? There might be a perceived flux due to the 'smearing' of the hats at lower bit-rates, but I'd challenge you to be able to spot the difference between two filtered rhythmn sections - one WAV one 256 mp3 - playing on consumer level equipment.

Even if that was the case, you get that with Vinyl and that has never stopped people tempo-syncing them :rolleyes:
    If you drop it into Ableton Live and do the 'Warp' thing you'll see a ton of variation.

Different kettle of fish altogether - nothing to do with the mp3 standard.
    I guess it's only to be expected with MP3s as their creation involves just 'throwing' away some of the raw data.

True, but not in the same way you're implying and, barring the ID3 tags, not in any way that would make any impact on the tempo.

Not So!

Interesting.....esplain.......

sei046 wrote: »
    Interesting.....esplain.......

I just found it on a couple of times when I was mucking about with doing Mash Ups, so it's a more casual observation!

When I dropped a steady wav into warp in Live and set the right tempo it didn't make any 'warp' marks i.e. pulling it into tempo wheras the MP3 version did.

If in the context of sharing tracks, say the L + R of overhead as 2 independent MP3 tracks any variation would cause phasing which may not be desireable.

I don't expect one would notice any difference on a single vocal track for example.

It happened to me a couple of times , and I did mention it to our very own tweeky here, who had found the same.

Another day in the classroom!

Another day in the classroom!

As I say I've not gone into it in huge detail but when I had those exeperiences and had the same thing happen to someone else I just presumed it to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I dunno if I agree with you Paul. I know an MP3 encoding of an uncompressed recording won't be sample-accurate but I'm fairly certain the encoding process doesn't interfere with audio in the time domain. Again it won't be sample-accurate, but it shouldn't be anything the ears would pick up... maybe you were dealing with some sort of dodgy codec that added/removed something at the beginning of the audio file?

cornbb wrote: »
    I dunno if I agree with you Paul. I know an MP3 encoding of an uncompressed recording won't be sample-accurate but I'm fairly certain the encoding process doesn't interfere with audio in the time domain. Again it won't be sample-accurate, but it shouldn't be anything the ears would pick up... maybe you were dealing with some sort of dodgy codec that added/removed something at the beginning of the audio file?

Exactly my thoughts. You kinda side stepped the argument to go on about phasing Paul :P

Get a CD. Rip a track to WAV and to high bitrate MP3. Burn the resultant files to a separate CD each. Play side by side. If you find a tempo fault I'd be absolutely shocked.

Exactly my thoughts. You kinda side stepped the argument to go on about phasing Paul :P

Get a CD. Rip a track to WAV and to high bitrate MP3. Burn the resultant files to a separate CD each. Play side by side. If you find a tempo fault I'd be absolutely shocked.

Which argument would this be now?

Which argument would this be now?

The argument regarding the mp3 format being intrinsically flawed as regards maintaining the tempo of the original medium. You know, the one about 7 posts up? No need to get snarky like.

• Advertisement

That's how I discovered it initially!

Lol man im hardly snarky! Im just saying it hardly seems like an argument!

Don't think sei was being snarky, but anyways... ;)

But this was when you were warping clips in Ableton Live right? The warping algorithms must treat mp3/wave audio differently or something. If you dropped the 2 clips into a "traditional" sequencer I'm sure they would sync exactly. You might get phasing alright, but thats something you might get with comparing 2 WAV clips anyway and is nothing to do with the tempos...

A better test might be grab your CD track and load it into a DAW. Then convert it to MP3 and put it in the daw, both running from zero.

If there's phasing or flanging then something has changed in the time domain namely the MP3.

Try it!

In fairness to you I chose my words wrong in describing it as a Tempo change as running the MP3 by itself you obviously won't notice it.

But enough about I think, you think - Try it and let me know how you get on!

Lol man im hardly snarky! Im just saying it hardly seems like an argument!

true, but proving it to yourself is!

If there's phasing or flanging then something has changed in the time domain namely the MP3.

Ah! But phasing is a different problem. If you ripped the CD to, for example, AIFF and WAV and played those 2 files side by side you might still get phasing. Nothing inherent to MP3. Different encoding algorithms might strip a few samples of silence from the beginning. Nothing that can't be fixed by nudging one of the files a few samples forwards or backwards.

I dunno - on your first post I did a command-line LAME encode at the highest settings (not VBR) and then did a double CD deck play triggered by MIDI. Being a lot younger than you and not having worked in the industry/gigged to your extent my hearing is considerably better - and I've 14 odd years of theory/classical training... I mean you clearly know a lot more than me, but its fairly fecking obvious to anyone when something goes out of phase - nevermind someone who DJs :)

I reckon that there's some weak link - either in your DAW, how you're compressing it or how you're burning it. Surely one of the thousands upon thousands of people who DJ using a combination of CD, Vinyl and MP3 would have spotted the problem? A cursory google and wikipedia comes up with nothing, but I'd be happy to be corrected

cornbb wrote: »
    Ah! But phasing is a different problem. If you ripped the CD to, for example, AIFF and WAV and played those 2 files side by side you might still get phasing. Nothing inherent to MP3. Different encoding algorithms might strip a few samples of silence from the beginning. Nothing that can't be fixed by nudging one of the files a few samples forwards or backwards.

Exactly. If its coded and burnt properly (down to the Millisecond) it just shouldn't happen (also, have both tracks triggered automatically not by hand!)

A better test might be grab your CD track and load it into a DAW. Then convert it to MP3 and put it in the daw, both running from zero.

When you 'load' them into DAWs, they're not in their original format AFAIK - not to mention the fact that there's error compensation and caching and all that other jazz. It's honestly something I'm not completely au fait with, but I think the best way of doing it is to just burn them to optical media and compare them with your ears. The waveforms are going to be significantly different pre and post-compression anyways so you can't really compare like with like.

• Advertisement

A weak link does sound like a viable cause. Not all encoding algorithms are created equal. Take iTunes for example. "Sound Enhancer" my arse!

Advertisement