Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disclaimer

Options
  • 12-11-2005 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

I was just reading the law forum request and thought with all the dodgy (or potentially dodgy) forums you have to mod ... like PI and psychology and maybe law or medical boards, you could combat any difficulty by posting in the charter a disclaimer that each user must paste at the top of their thread to show they understand any advice given is merely opinion, and before attempting any of the suggestions they must contact a professional or they hold themselves soley responsible for the consiquences.

So if a guy in PI has a eye infection and someone suggest to wash it out with bleech and he does it, for de laf like..the guys blatantly an idiot and boards aren't responsible for that! :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Does it not say in big letters at the top of the PI board THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL FORUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah but who's to say anybody read it...I just mean they post it on their own thread each time they start one...so they could hardly point any blame at boards for something they do when they themselves say in their origional post that they are idiots if they follow any advice given on a internet forum without cinsulting a professional.

I think the whole reason for the charters and tight modding of a place like pi is for legal reasons...i think this would make it even more solid, but you could then have some of the other potentially dodgy stuff people were suggesting..Health forum, or legal forum and other stuff.

It's a good comprmise if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

DubGuy wrote:
    Yeah but who's to say anybody read it...I just mean they post it on their own thread each time they start one...so they could hardly point any blame at boards for something they do when they themselves say in their origional post that they are idiots if they follow any advice given on a internet forum without cinsulting a professional.
    Disclaimers usually have little or no legal standing. The "idiots" stupid enough to follow the advice of someone on the internet are exactly the type of people who would pursue a case whether or not they posted a disclaimer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

steveland? wrote:
    Does it not say in big letters at the top of the PI board THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL FORUM

Personally I think all online medical advice forums/websites should be illegal or be require a license or similar proofing. There is no regulation of it and there is nothing to stop Joe Soap from setting up a "medical advice" site.

Put it to the test yourself, pick a disease (although its more fun doing this by searching on STI's!) and google it. Read the differences on the "expert" sites!

faceman wrote:
    Personally I think all online medical advice forums/websites should be illegal or be require a license or similar proofing.
    Hence the big sticky saying This is NOT a medical board...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

steveland? wrote:
    Hence the big sticky saying This is NOT a medical board...

Yes but ppl still coming looking for medical/personal advise, and other posters give it. Just cos u stick a big sign up saying "do not spit over the railing" will not stop ppl spitting over the railing! :)

faceman wrote:
    Yes but ppl still coming looking for medical/personal advise, and other posters give it. Just cos u stick a big sign up saying "do not spit over the railing" will not stop ppl spitting over the railing! :)
    Yes but if anything happens and some moron doesn't read the bit post saying NOT a medical borad *PLEASE READ* it's their own fault and boards can fall back on the fact that it says in big letters to read before posting and to not ask for medical advice or give it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Only disclaimer they need..

Boards.ie: Warning, may contain traces of nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Anyone posting in PI knows it just ordinary boards users replying with their own advice, they know their not writing to a bunch of psychologists or people of sound mind:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You will always get a moron who will set a precedent. I have to have "Good Samaritan" medical insurance now. A Good Samaritan act is when I intervene in an emergency outside of the hospital with whatever tools are available to save someone's life. There was a case where someone was choking and a doctor put in an emergency tracheostomy with a sharp kitchen knife and a hollow object (think it was the hollow bit of a biro) to allow them to breathe. the guy sued for damages because of the large scar that resulted.

He only lived to sue because of that doctor.

You will always get an ungrateful bastard somewhere, precedents are set by those. In fairness though if the advice is RIGHT then it is ok, but otherwise not and in general nobody posting medical questions provide any of the important information which would permit that to be determined.

Hence not a good idea to permit it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DubGuy wrote:
    Yeah but who's to say anybody read it...

I'm outraged!
    are you saying they don't read it?!

if everyone who hasn't read it could post up their names here,
    I shall be able to ban you forthwith...
    thanks

steveland? wrote:
    Yes but if anything happens and some moron doesn't read the bit post saying NOT a medical borad *PLEASE READ* it's their own fault and boards can fall back on the fact that it says in big letters to read before posting and to not ask for medical advice or give it

That is true but bare in mind that if ppl have to come to an open forum then they have issues. By removing medical advise forums etc, it hopefully forces the afflicted person to go to a professional...hopefully. Its not boards itself as a service provider that im worried about, its some poor sod taking refuge in unqualified advise just because it may be what they want to hear. Thats my tupennce anyway. :)

Advertisement